Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Fit in Carlow...

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend any good gyms etc in Carlow town? I was a member of a gym a few years back but don't really feel it did anything for me.... i didn't like the program the trainer put me on (and i was too much of a whimp to ask for something different).

Don't want to become a fitness fanatic but just was to tone up and a feel more healthy etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Nead21 wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend any good gyms etc in Carlow town? I was a member of a gym a few years back but don't really feel it did anything for me.... i didn't like the program the trainer put me on (and i was too much of a whimp to ask for something different).

Don't want to become a fitness fanatic but just was to tone up and a feel more healthy etc

I have never been a member of a gym in carlow but I was in DUblin as I work there. From friends of mine I know the Talbot is a great gym and cheaper than 7 Oaks. I have heard that the oaks is very busy at peak times. The Mcfit place on Barrack st is also good but no pool. At the mo I cant afford gym membership but I walk most nights out the kilkenny road into town and out the portlaoise road and back in again its about 6k and takes an hour at my pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

seven oaks is an excellent gym...clean, good instructors, lovely pool!!! It does get busy at peak times but so does any good gym...which kinda says nothin for the talbot if they aint busy at peak....defo go for seven oaks!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Seven Oaks is too expensive, and too cramped.

Talbot is also too expensive, but cheaper than the Seven Oaks, but it's nicer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

fitzyshea wrote: »
    I walk most nights out the kilkenny road into town and out the portlaoise road and back in again its about 6k and takes an hour at my pace.

i must know you to see from that walk fitzy, i do it regularly too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

seven oaks is an excellent gym...clean, good instructors, lovely pool!!! It does get busy at peak times but so does any good gym...which kinda says nothin for the talbot if they aint busy at peak....defo go for seven oaks!!:rolleyes:

i was a member of the oaks a few years, and i did find it nice. the instructor was good (and extremely hot!!) but i just didn't like the program he had me on.... but at the same time i didn't know enough to ask for something different or be more specific in what i wanted....if that makes any sense?

i was looking at the talbot website and its basically only €25 cheaper for single membership.

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    i must know you to see from that walk fitzy, i do it regularly too...

Im the one going 90mph up the road listening to my ipod!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Im the one going 90mph up the road listening to my ipod!

im usually walking with another guy and he looks in pain cos i'm dragging him along

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

I've worked in both gyms talbot and Seven oaks....talbot is not a good gym in comparisson!! Two weeks after talbot opened machines were breaking paint coming off the walls and they employ staff who arent fully qualified, thats a reason i had to leave there!! the gym instructors are there to help thats their job so just ask if your not happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

What about bootcamp/outdoor training (I know I am going to get slaughtered for this question).

I am moving to Carlow soonish, and I have been doing outdoor training for quite some time (Ok I am moving from Australia and it maybe a little warmer here..but maybe the cold will make me run faster). It is the only thing I have consistently done for...well ever...I have made great friends through it, and miss it when I am away...I find I don't push myself as much in a class or on my own.

I have been looking for some sort of similar thing in Carlow, but can't find anything....Does anyone know of any group training (not just a class) that caters for all abilities (I am not overly coordinated!:D)

Otherwise do any of the gyms do more then pilates and spin (I like spin but would also like body pump etc)

Cheers

Claire

What about bootcamp/outdoor training (I know I am going to get slaughtered for this question).

What does bootcamp involve?....sounds painful!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I've worked in both gyms talbot and Seven oaks....talbot is not a good gym in comparisson!! Two weeks after talbot opened machines were breaking paint coming off the walls and they employ staff who arent fully qualified, thats a reason i had to leave there!! the gym instructors are there to help thats their job so just ask if your not happy:D

There's no paint coming of the walls now, and there's no broken machines. I think you must have been fired from te Talbot or something. You seem very biased.

Hi Need21,

Actually its not that bad (once you get over the initial muscle pain). Here there is a personal trainer who takes a group (we have between 8-13). We start at 6am (some are at night). And you do a mix of cardio and resistance work. So for cardio it might be a long run, or sprints, skipping, boxing etc, and for resistance we do pushups, squats, weights, etc. It is good cos you get to know everyone (and I have made some really good friends through it). They are expecting you to turn up (if you don't the others have to do your warm exercises (and burpies are not fun) and there is alot more interaction and partner work then just in a class.

We all have a laugh and try and mutiny against the instructor...

We have a really good instructor who doesn't think she has just been released from the army, so she yells to be heard, not abuse, she is very encouraging...going to miss it :( I get bored with other routines.

Sorry for the long winded answer...

hey clairesheara
    thanks for that.....it sounds really hard,do you have to have a certain level of fitness before you join? or is everyone at different levels?

Hi Nead21,

Everyone works hard, but to their own fitness level. So we have some really fit guys (who can run rings around us - literally), We have quite a few mums with school age children, and about 4-5 people in their 50s (who are amazingly fit). But your work to your ability. If people are fast - they get to do more :D.

Do you know any one who wants to start a group up :)...cos I will join...

i'll ask around to see if there is an interest out there. when are you moving to carlow?

Really :D:D:D..that would be great to find people interested...then we would just need to find a personal trainer to run it :D:D

I am leaving Australia in about mid May...and I start work around 23 June...this is providing I get my British passport in time...I am hoping to arrive in Dublin one week early, I am not sure if I will go straight to Carlow, or potter around Dublin for a few days. I have to arrange a few things...car, banks etc.

So now you know all my travel plans :D

I am moving to Carlow soonish, and I have been doing outdoor training for quite some time (Ok I am moving from Australia and it maybe a little warmer here..but maybe the cold will make me run faster). It is the only thing I have consistently done for...well ever...I have made great friends through it, and miss it when I am away...I find I don't push myself as much in a class or on my own.

I have been looking for some sort of similar thing in Carlow, but can't find anything....Does anyone know of any group training (not just a class) that caters for all abilities (I am not overly coordinated!:D)

Otherwise do any of the gyms do more then pilates and spin (I like spin but would also like body pump etc)

Cheers

Claire

Hi Claire

They do this in dublin www.militaryfitness.ie not in Carlow though. I heard its meant to be great.

Thanks Fitzy, I had seen bootcamp ireland but not that website. I have enough excuses....driving an hour would just be one I could use too often :)

It is great fun.....you need a good instructor who encourages not abuses:( and works people at all levels. We have a personal trainer who runs ours, and we pay per month, the rule is if you miss a session...tough...but if you are away for sessions before you book, she works it out prior to paying. It works out cheaper for me then personal training /gym...and I use it...

Speaking of which....just back, and need to get ready for work...thanks for your posts :).....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i have been a member of talbot & seven oaks, and i much prefer seven oaks. The staff are much better, lots more of them and a lot nicer. Seven oaks have loads of classes like spinning whereas talbot classes can be hit & miss if they even run. they even have free swimming classes.

my husband is in talbot & loves it though. a lot more room for free weights & they showers are better.

seven oaks definitely:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

queen-mise wrote: »
    i have been a member of talbot & seven oaks, and i much prefer seven oaks. The staff are much better, lots more of them and a lot nicer. Seven oaks have loads of classes like spinning whereas talbot classes can be hit & miss if they even run. they even have free swimming classes.

my husband is in talbot & loves it though. a lot more room for free weights & they showers are better.

seven oaks definitely:D:D:D

+1

def the seven oaks - even though there is a small free weights area i just find it a much better gym

• Advertisement

I am definitely on my way now!! Have sold my car :):( I have packed and moved out :) And will be arriving in Carlow mid June. Anyone keen to try and start a little (or big) outdoor training/bootcamp......anyone anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am definitely on my way now!! Have sold my car :):( I have packed and moved out :) And will be arriving in Carlow mid June. Anyone keen to try and start a little (or big) outdoor training/bootcamp......anyone anyone

date and time and i will be there :D:D

sounds like fun :confused: in a sado-masochistic kind of way

Fabulous:D....now we just need a park, a few more people, oh and a personal trainer/instructor......know of any of these????? Please don't make me join a gym:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

dunno about a personal trainer but we've plenty of fields!!!! :D

fields are a good start...you would think after doing this for a while I would remember some of the things I do 3 freakin mornings a week...and would have the motivation to do it myself...but I don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Have tried the gym route - 6 weeks and stopped. Wife tried the curves route 3 weeks and stopped. More boredom than laziness.

2 weeks ago got the wii fit. Competition between herself & myself is fierce especially on the boxing module. Shes lost 4lb, I've lost 5 (I've more to lose)

Its been used everynight but one since it was bought and has replaced the crap telvision that we used to watch from 8 - 10. Its seriously great fun and gets muscles you never knew you had working! Charts you on a daily basis and huge range of activities to choose from.

Will give 2 week updates here if anyone wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'm definately interested!!!! tell me more

/me looks at Nead21 for the nod of approval ;)

gonna need a bigger telly though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I'mamuppet

I think i have a wii strain after taking the boxing a bit too seriously :Dhee hee.... Its bloody good craic though. Have you got any other games for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Hey folks.
    I'm not hi-jacking this thread but I have just started training in prep for the Dublin City Marathon. I'd be v interested in joining in the training and even finding a couple of other people interested in doing the Marathon. I'm a newbie at the running and am currently doing about 3 miles in 26 mins... so it's early days!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭shesalady

R u still moving to carlow? i hope so. sign me up 4 the outdoor training / bootcamp. moved to carlow recently too so Definitely interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement