Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do women stand on fame and money?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

By this I mean, where do you stand on the whole fame and money thing versus "not exactly blessed in the looks department."

I'm curious about how the female mind works on these things.

I have an example but I'll post an image after a few replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Do you mean someone famous and goodlooking vs someone famous and not blessed in the looks department?

Question is a bit vague.

Personally I'm not really attracted to anyone famous as such, and I don't give a crap about how much money someone has, and I can back that up, too.

Every female will have a different opinion, so I don't know if you'll get what 'women' go for, and I think you might just chose the answers you want to back up your theory anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, I think if someone was famous it'd put me right off. I don't buy in to that whole "celeb" thing really and I think it'd be horrible to be with someone famous, for a number of reasons, the two most important being his ego and privacy.

Money is always nice but I don't think if that's all he had going for him I'd be interested. It'd be more of a bonus really.

I'm interested in your example now. Is it Mick Hucknall? I bet it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Silverfish wrote: »
    Do you mean someone famous and goodlooking vs someone famous and not blessed in the looks department?
    I suppose it's rich and famous and not very good looking men (although I am a man and can't really comment on what is good looking and what isn't.;)) and their pulling power. Whether their conqusts are famous or not doesn't matter.
    watna wrote: »
    Not Simply Red.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well, I think if someone was famous it'd put me right off. I don't buy in to that whole "celeb" thing really and I think it'd be horrible to be with someone famous, for a number of reasons, the two most important being his ego and privacy.

Money is always nice but I don't think if that's all he had going for him I'd be interested. It'd be more of a bonus really.

You can be famous without being a 'celeb' i.e. a media whore,

I suppose it's rich and famous and not very good looking men (although I am a man and can't really comment on what is good looking and what isn't.;)) and their pulling power. Whether their conqusts are famous or not doesn't matter.

Well eh, for example eh, I'd take Simon Pegg over Brad Pitt. Or a young Orson Welles over Brad Pitt, or any of the glossed up Hollywood men.

Is that what you mean?

Actually, I'm so bad at famous people, they're the only two I can think of right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Wayne Rooney and Colleen McLoughlin?

Anyway, personally speaking, money and fame wouldn't do it for me, regardless of looks, There has to be something slightly more substantial to back it up. You know, like a personality.

Deciding to go for someone based purely on their bank balance or how often their picture is in the paper generally means you're a shallow, gold-digging, fame-hungry bint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ahm....being a rich IT mod with a few thousand posts doesn't usually attract groupies.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Well eh, for example eh, I'd take Simon Pegg over Brad Pitt. Or a young Orson Welles over Brad Pitt, or any of the glossed up Hollywood men.

Is that what you mean?

Actually, I'm so bad at famous people, they're the only two I can think of right now.
    Nah, I mean men who "punch above their weight" where "pulling" is concerned and in my opinion they dont seem to realise that if it wasn't for the fame and fortune, they wouldn't have the trophy girlfriend.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney and Colleen McLoughlin?
    Weren't they together before he became famous?
    Ahm....being a rich IT mod with a few thousand posts doesn't usually attract groupies.:pac:
    Go away. :D

Nah, I mean men who "punch above their weight" where "pulling" is concerned and in my opinion they dont seem to realise that if it wasn't for the fame and fortune, they wouldn't have the trophy girlfriend.

So why would we be able to tell you why these men do that? Would this not be more relevant to BGRH?

I mean, it happens in real life too. You see some fabulous looking girls with some... not so great looking guys. You have to assume these women are intelligent enough to see more in that person. Otherwise why would Joe Jackson have written that song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Weren't they together before he became famous?

*shrug*

Well, "punching above your weight"...the way I look at that, people are going to go for what they find attractive. If they have money and fame but have a face like a bag of hammers, well maybe that will give them an edge on the pulling scene, but only with a certain type of girl. The trophy girlfriend thing works both ways though. You reckon the girl is only with the fella for the money and the fame he has, but chances are the bloke is only with the girl for the way she looks. Both use the other. She gets nice things and he gets a hot girlfriend on his arm.

Of course, instead of being all cynical I could say that maybe the unattractive but wealthy/famous guy has a stellar personality and thats why the girl is with him, and vice-versa.

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote: »

Well, "punching above your weight"...the way I look at that, people are going to go for what they find attractive. If they have money and fame but have a face like a bag of hammers, well maybe that will give them an edge on the pulling scene, but only with a certain type of girl. The trophy girlfriend thing works both ways though. You reckon the girl is only with the fella for the money and the fame he has, but chances are the bloke is only with the girl for the way she looks. Both use the other. She gets nice things and he gets a hot girlfriend on his arm.

QFT.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

attractive famous people to me are usually very talented musicians/songwriters. so yeah, looks, i tend to see them as attractive just from knowing the music. as ive so often said, guy garvey, i wouldnt rate on teh looks department hugely if it wasnt for that he was the singer songwriter in elbow. if he came in and sang crawlign with idiot to me, i think it's safe to say that i'd be in his bed within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Wouldn't interest me in the slightest if someone was famous. Would probably be a big turn off really, how could you trust them for a start with loads of women throwing themselves at them constantly? I was in the VIP area in Krystle a couple of months ago (Load of crap but feck it free booze!) and Brian Ormond was there (presenter of You're a Star)....now no offence to the chap, seems nice and all but he's no Brad Pitt is he? And the amount of women flocking around him was unreal! Even though he blatantly had a girlfriend (surprise surprise a model) but they were all over him. Do you think they'd even look twice at him if he wasn't who he is? And considering he's only a presenter of You're a Star I'd love to see the kind of reaction someone more famous would get in there.

Sad. But lots of girls here now seem to want to be WAG types...famous for nothing and no ambition except for getting in VIP magazine or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Can I just point out, for the benefit of any girls who ARE interested in that kind of guy, that I'm loaded*, and I'm a ride* :p

*may not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

AND you're THE famous tallaght01 from Boards.ie....form an orderly line girls ;)

Clare Bear wrote: »
    AND you're THE famous tallaght01 from Boards.ie....form an orderly line girls ;)

It's true. I'm off to wreak havoc in feedback or the mod forum now, so all the ladies will be swooning over my bad-boy antics :p

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'll just take the money thanks. Bank details to follow!!!

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Can I just point out, for the benefit of any girls who ARE interested in that kind of guy, that I'm loaded*, and I'm a ride* :p

*may not be true

[AHmode] Pics or it didn't happen[/AHmode]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ok guys, topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was in the VIP area in Krystle a couple of months ago (Load of crap but feck it free booze!) and Brian Ormond was there (presenter of You're a Star)....now no offence to the chap, seems nice and all but he's no Brad Pitt is he? And the amount of women flocking around him was unreal! Even though he blatantly had a girlfriend (surprise surprise a model) but they were all over him. Do you think they'd even look twice at him if he wasn't who he is? And considering he's only a presenter of You're a Star I'd love to see the kind of reaction someone more famous would get in there.
    small fish, smaller pond.

We are so starved of real celebs in this country that the clinger on's have to make do with z list nobodies. You should see the feeding frenzy when a first division footballer from UK comes over for the weekend. Nobody knows who the hell he is but who cares he's sort of famous for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

The weird thing is how all the "not so good looking" male celebs usually have savage looking girlfriends but it doesn't seem to work in reverse.

Take for example the Osbournes: Jack always seems to be accompanied by models everywhere he goes despite being 4' 6" and looking like a sausage selotaped to a brillo pad, wheras his darling sister whats her face never seems to be out on the town with yer man from from the aero ad.

I'll just take the money thanks. Bank details to follow!!!

LOL I tip my hat to this lady :p

Wouldn't interest me in the slightest if someone was famous. Would probably be a big turn off really, how could you trust them for a start with loads of women throwing themselves at them constantly? I was in the VIP area in Krystle a couple of months ago (Load of crap but feck it free booze!) and Brian Ormond was there (presenter of You're a Star)....now no offence to the chap, seems nice and all but he's no Brad Pitt is he? And the amount of women flocking around him was unreal! Even though he blatantly had a girlfriend (surprise surprise a model) but they were all over him. Do you think they'd even look twice at him if he wasn't who he is? And considering he's only a presenter of You're a Star I'd love to see the kind of reaction someone more famous would get in there.

Sad. But lots of girls here now seem to want to be WAG types...famous for nothing and no ambition except for getting in VIP magazine or the likes.

Agreed. You can call them VIPs all you like, but the actual very important people in society are people like our nurses, and our teachers, and the guys who grit our roads. But they wouldn't get a look in.

Agreed. You can call them VIPs all you like, but the actual very important people in society are people like our nurses, and our teachers, and the guys who grit our roads. But they wouldn't get a look in.

Well, regardless of what they do for a living, if they're only after women for their looks then they don't deserve a look in.

Well, regardless of what they do for a living, if they're only after women for their looks then they don't deserve a look in.

???

???

I'll make it simple.

Someone posted about a minor male celebrity who had gorgeous women falling all over him.

You complained that the normal male would not get a look in with these gorgeous women.

If they were such salt of the earth types, why would they want these women for their looks?

Read Chinafoot's post on the first page.

I'll make it simple.

Someone posted about a minor male celebrity who had gorgeous women falling all over him.

You complained that the normal male would not get a look in with these gorgeous women.

If they were such salt of the earth types, why would they want these women for their looks?

Read Chinafoot's post on the first page.

I'll make it simple for YOU.

Celebrities and hot ladies seem to inhabit VIP lounges.

The real important people in the world aren't neccessarily hot, nor are they on TV.

But the real important people don't get invited to VIP lounges, male or not.

I can't comment on whether nurses and teachers like women purely for their looks.

Me? Hot birds FTW :D

You don't have to make it simple for me, I understand.

You criticised these women for going for celebrities for their money / celebrity status, yet its okay for men to go for women solely for their looks.

Good job.

• Advertisement

You don't have to make it simple for me, I understand.

You criticised these women for going for celebrities for their money / celebrity status, yet its okay for men to go for women solely for their looks.

Good job.

Thank you.

But...I did what?

I criticised VIP lounges for admitting people who aren't particularly important.

That was about the extent of it.

Advertisement