Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 second puncture repair

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:53pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A while back I bought a few cans of Pit Stop tube sealant. They contain latex foam, which is meant to seal a puncture and also reinflate a tube. I've been waiting for a while for a puncture to see if this stuff actually works. Anyway, I flatted on my way home on Saturday and it worked a treat.

You simply press it into the valve and it automatically inflates. I was using Geax 50ml can, which is made by Vittoria. It didn't quite inflate it high enough to ride on, but a few quick blasts from the mini pump finished off the job. Vittoria sells a 75ml can under its own brand, which might do the whole job itself. I've got one of these also, but hope it will be a while yet before I get to try this one out. Both cans are small enough to fit in a jersey pocket.

Either one costs around €10, which is pricey enough, but maybe worth it if you only get a few flats a year. I rode on the tube again today and it was fine, not seeming to lose any air.

Anyway, thought I'd let people know how I got on with the stuff in case anyone's curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Glad to hear that worked out for you,would seem to be handy to have on a day like last Saturday.My hands would have made hard work of trying to change a rear-wheel tube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

they make a allmighty mess, if the tube splits:D

also how do you find the weight, after putting this stuff in bikes i find it considerably increases rotational mass, which is mad when people spend mad money just for light gear then stick this in:D
    i prefer the strips.

im curious to know how this stuff performs everyday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kona wrote: »
    also how do you find the weight, after putting this stuff in bikes i find it considerably increases rotational mass

Didn't feel heavier. Mind you, I think the "slime" type sealants might be heavier. This stuff is more of a foam than a liquid.
    which is mad when people spend mad money just for light gear then stick this in

Apparently it adds about 15g weight too the tube. Personally don't find that to bothering.
    i prefer the strips.

Never came across them. What are they?
    im curious to know how this stuff performs everyday.

I would be too. Supposedly the stuff lasts indefinitely, but I'll probably swap out the tube after a while to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Out of curiousity, what size tires do you have? I presume this is for skinnie's? If so I'm guessing MTB's need around 100ml? Just thinking it could save someone alot of hassle even by having too much rather than not enough..

Also, did you notice any difference with this (I'm guessing) solid tube? I presume this is a kind of 'use it to get home and throw your tube away after' kinda product?

Just trying to gather all the experiences people have had with these products in one thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

oh right its latex, sorry i was tinking slime:)

ye slime is heavy enough, the strips are like plastic thats lubed which sits between tube and tyre, like having a extra layer, much like the gator skin, armidillos etc except not built in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wez wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what size tires do you have? I presume this is for skinnie's? If so I'm guessing MTB's need around 100ml?

I've 700x23. Actually, I think the Geax 50ml can is pitched more at MTBs, which require a lower pressure.
    Wez wrote: »
    Also, did you notice any difference with this (I'm guessing) solid tube? I presume this is a kind of 'use it to get home and throw your tube away after' kinda product?

Did 70km on it the next day and didn't really notice anything. Its not really a solid tube tube though afterwards. I'm kind of using it as a temporary fix, but apparently you can use it for the rest of the life of the tube.

Advertisement