Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Broadband from Belgrove?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

I heard a rumour that the authorites are thinking of taking broadband from Belgrove. Apparently, people keep tampering with the wireless connection! Any truth in that rumour??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I doubt it. Too many students reply on internet access. If its a phyiscal issue they will probably go about making the routers more secure, i never uderstood why they couldnt be hidden in a service duct, mine is down the back of the couch under loads of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

I live in Merville and we just got flyers handed around telling us that if we didn't stop mucking with the routers our wireless would get yanked, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

PennyLane wrote: »
    I live in Merville and we just got flyers handed around telling us that if we didn't stop mucking with the routers our wireless would get yanked, too.

Thats what's happening in Belgrove too. A friend of mine got notice about wireless potentially getting yanked if the tampering didn't stop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Why don't college do like any other half decent college in the UK and installed wired access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I notice the letter referred to broadband as a "free service" twice - I don't see how it can be "free" seeing as we pay rent of €450 a month, boradband being a facility provided by the landlords. I think this is so they can take it away without compensating us for removing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Good luck getting broadband included in your rent when you move off campus in the future... It's free since there's no extra charge for it, unlike electricity for example. Unless there's a specific clause in the rental agreement you could refer to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I notice the letter referred to broadband as a "free service" twice - I don't see how it can be "free" seeing as we pay rent of €450 a month, boradband being a facility provided by the landlords. I think this is so they can take it away without compensating us for removing it
    Considering the rent is the same as it was last year when they didn't have broadband, I think you may be completely wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Red Alert wrote: »
    Why don't college do like any other half decent college in the UK and installed wired access?

Uhmm... And that'd be a step forward how? If its an issue of the routers being tampered with, you protect/hide them better.. But wired access isn't really the answer..

That said, I will be very, very pissed off if this goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Was 'tampered with' a euphemism for stolen? Surely they could just be locked away...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Well IT services provide all internet in UCD and as far as I know they're not landlords.

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement