Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 worst selling consoles of all time

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭

i bumped into an interesting little article on www.gamepro.com featuring the 10 worst selling consoles of all time and its very predictable and disappointing that sega feature 4 times on this list. heres the 10:

10--Dreamcast(best machine here, no question)
    9----Turbo Grafx-16
    8----Saturn
    7----Sega CD
    6----3DO
    5----Virtua Boy
    4----CD-i
    3----Atari Jaguar
    2----32x(only 200,000 units ever sold!)
    1----Apple Pippin(i never even heard of this before seeing this list, only 42,000 units ever sold, apple may just be shy of entering the gaming industry again!)

anyone here ever own a few of these? personally, i have a dreamcast,had a saturn and wouldnt mind a 32x!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I had a Sega CD and currently have a 32x. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

had a dreamcast when i was 16-17,bought it off a guy for 40 euro with 7 or 8 games.
    gave it to my girlfriend at the time for her college house in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Damn sega and their failures. Mega Driver & Master System rocked, wtf happened after that? :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The 32X and Sega CD.

The saturn was a fine machine and the dreamcast was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sega cd and 32x arrived to confuse the hell out of people and then saturn arrived weaker than the ps1 with a price tag of 400 irish pounds(maybe more, i might be wrong) and a negative customer attitude

the article makes an interesting point about the fact that sega of america developed the 32x without knowing the saturn was being developed in Japan. this was absolutely crazy. i remember reading letters coming in from sega fans on official megadrive/saturn magazine(to this day, the best official mag i ever read) saying how they were confused and didnt know whether to splash out on 32x straight away or hold off until Saturn. i bet many of these people did neither and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The Atari Jaguar OWNED... I loved that thing and still have it in the attic. Only problem with it was the awful battery life, I mean 6 AA batteries gave you about an hour of gameplay.

Also, i'm surprised the Amstrad GX4000 didn't make the list. Another console I owned that the rest of the world seemed to overlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

unfortunately that list is incorrect , i can think of at least 3 consoles that should be on there

amstrad gx4000 (15,000 sales)
    commodore 64 gs (20,000 sales)
    amiga cd32

your right, i failed to mention that they only used what they considered to be consoles that had a chance ie advertising campagins etc. if you made a strict list, there would be things like the gp32x, gizmondo, N-gage etc. ill find the link for ye's

bit unfair on sega tho , including add-ons like the mega-cd and 32x ?
    and leaving out consoles which would have eliminated any sega consoles from the top 10 ?
    possible anti sega agenda from the original list compiler methinks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    commodore 64 gs (20,000 sales)
    amiga cd32

These were the two that sprung to mind right away for me.

I did have a CD32 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Something a big dogey with that list, the deamcast sold over 10 million units...

i dont have much problem with 32x or sega cd being on the list. they were ill-advised and rubbish and their failures undermined the saturn. the saturns failure then undermined the dreamcast. dreamcast was easily better than the ps2 back in the day and the saturn had its charms. plus both sold millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dreamcast was amazing, had one, loved it, miss it! (Soul Calibur 2 was the last time i got excited about a beat em up, and SA was amazing, and Shenmue? dont get me started on Shenmue!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ruu wrote: »
    I had a Sega CD and currently have a 32x. :)

Woop! Got me the 32x with Doom and Virtua Racer on launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I had a 3DO

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Does anyone else think the Apple Pippin has a N64 look to it.
    Or is it the other way around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I had the old phillips CD-i

Oh well

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I had the 3DO as well and I loved it. Liked it far more than I did the PSone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

man the dreamcast rocks , it was what the Wii is now but back then it had more and better games then the psone !!!!!!!!!!!

toyko extrame racer I & II but house of the dead was also a cult classic !!!

played the saturn before and its worse then WoW :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Hopefully the Vii will merit a place on there :D

http://kotaku.com/373910/chinese-wii-rip+off-localized-for-japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I had a dreamcast, amazing machine it's a shame it never took off it really deserved to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The Atari Jaguar OWNED... I loved that thing and still have it in the attic. Only problem with it was the awful battery life, I mean 6 AA batteries gave you about an hour of gameplay.

I think that's the Atari Lynx you're talking about! The jaguar was a home console that looked like a toilet seat :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea the 3DO was cool, cool in its own non cool way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Stephen wrote: »
    I think that's the Atari Lynx you're talking about! The jaguar was a home console that looked like a toilet seat :pac:

you are correct, damn atari and its feline naming system :confused:

the lynx was excellent though. I remember the only place I could get games for it was in the basement of the old Peats on parnell street. That was like the graveyard of forgotten consoles that never made it to the main shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i bumped into an interesting little article on www.gamepro.com featuring the 10 worst selling consoles of all time and its very predictable and disappointing that sega feature 4 times on this list. heres the 10:
    <snip>
    anyone here ever own a few of these? personally, i have a dreamcast,had a saturn and wouldnt mind a 32x!

10--Dreamcast(best machine here, no question)

Had one on release day, then sold it. Then bought and sold a few over the years since. Currently DC-less, the lenses are losing some of their rosiness every time I get hold of one, I'm afraid.

9----Turbo Grafx-16

Had the 'true' white JP one ("PC Engine", this "Turbo Grafx-16" moniker is for our US audience :D) with the ultrarare "composite out" adapter, then sold it. Bought one 2 Xmas ago for my younger bro (he's the collector now ;)), have Bomberman, both R-Types, Galaga and a few more 'must haves' for it.

8----Saturn

Had a couple over the years. Never found it great, tbh.

6----3DO

Had a Panasonic FZ-1 (sliding tray) one. Save as its NFS version, again not great, tbh.

5----Virtua Boy

Had one (US version, not that it makes any difference). The criticisms are all true: sh*t to set up, sh*t to look into, sh*t to play, etc.

4----CD-i

Had the 220 version with MPEG cartridge in my office for quite a while. Never a playing thing, always a CD/VCD player, and ill-suited to the 'console' moniker. The portable ones were very tasty though (always wanted one, never could find it).

3----Atari Jaguar

Same as Saturn and 3DO - expect wrose. That controller really was the second worst gaming thing ever (the Supervision portable console was the worst gaming thing ever, no question.)

Of the above, the NEC was and remains the best (IMHO). And it was a runaway success in JP whilever it was being made and sold, so I don't know why it's in this 'top 10 worst-sellers'. Unless (and of coure this will be the case, I'd bet money on it) this top-10 just looks at "units sold"without comparing market conditions like-for-like (as in: early 90s for NEC's PCE, wherein selling 1m consoles worldwide was like Nintendo selling 90m NDS worldwide today).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I absolutely adore my saturn. TBH if you don't have a 4 in 1 adapter or have it chipped for those rare games you will never afford then it's a terrible console. The Eruopean and American releases had very few must haves. However if you can play the japanese releases it's really has a load of must have games, almost as much as the PS1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Whoever compiled this list didn't do their research too well. There are tons of poorer selling consoles out there. The Vectrex comes to mind. How about the Sega SG-1000 if you want to go picking on them in particular?

The 32X bit is complete nonsense. Sega of Japan were the ones who envisioned the system and they sent engineers over to the states to help design it.
    On January 8, 1994, Hayao Nakayama, then CEO of Sega, ordered his company to make a 32-bit cartridge based console that would be in stores by Christmas 1994. This would at first be named "Project Jupiter", but after Sega found CD technology cheaper, they decided to modify it instead of dropping the cartridge project (that would be called "Project Saturn"). Hideki Sato and some other Sega of Japan engineers came over to collaborate about the project with Sega of America's Joe Miller. The first idea was a new Mega Drive/Genesis with more colors and a 32-bit processor. Miller thought that an add-on to the Mega Drive/Genesis would be a better idea, because he felt that gamers would not buy an improved version of the Mega Drive/Genesis. And so, this project was codenamed Project Mars, and Sega of America was going to shape the project.

The 32X was primarily envisioned as a system which would extend the life of the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and provide revenue while the installed userbase of the Sega Saturn slowly grew.

I'm quite surprised to hear the Sega CD sold 6 million units. That's a hell of alot more than I thought it had shifted.

well i maintain that "ADD-ONS" like the mega cd and the 32x should not be included...as they are not standalone CONSOLES!!!

even if u want to include add ons ,
    why did the dude only include SEGA add-ons ????
    what aout things like the Nintendo 64 Disk drive
    That only sold like 20,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

How much was the PS2 when it first came out?

Advertisement