Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 worst selling consoles of all time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I was sure that the Amiga CD32 would be up there but wiki mentions that it outsold the Sega Mega CD (but no proof linked).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    How much was the PS2 when it first came out?

it was like over 500 euro before you got anything decent(decent being Tekken Tag and a fireworks game!) how the dreamcast didnt get more customers with Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Headhunter released over the same xmas period is beyond me.

this list probably isnt the best in hindsight but it got ye talking at least!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    it was like over 500 euro before you got anything decent(decent being Tekken Tag and a fireworks game!) how the dreamcast didnt get more customers with Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Headhunter released over the same xmas period is beyond me.

Yep in the first few months of the PS2's life the console was an utter disgrace. Just went to show how much of an idiot the general consumer can be. There wasn't one game worth playing on it for 9 whole months until GT3 (a prettier but worse version of GT2) DMC and GTA came out. The PS2 magazines were even running multi page articles on how to get the most out of your MGS2 demo. All the while the Dreamcast kept getting clasic game after classic game released on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

10--Dreamcast(best machine here, no question)
    9----Turbo Grafx-16
    8----Saturn
    7----Sega CD
    6----3DO
    5----Virtua Boy
    4----CD-i
    3----Atari Jaguar
    2----32x(only 200,000 units ever sold!)
    1----Apple Pippin(i never even heard of this before seeing this list, only 42,000 units ever sold, apple may just be shy of entering the gaming industry again!)

Well I have everything bar the CDi and Pippin, so no worries there.
    I do find it hard to believe the DC is in there, and I would reckon the Nuon, Gizmondo and Tapwave deserve mention, as should the 64DD and that god awful Commodore 64 cartridge based console.

I reckon the 3DO sold well enough in many regions too, especially the US.
    I love my 3DO, hmm... Need For Speed and Return Fire, you can keep your PSone versions, these are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I remember hearing on the radio about people queuing up early in the morning to buy it, and it was sold out really fast. Thats mad money for something that long ago...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think it's a bit unfair, Retrogamer, to say there was nothing good on PS2 for 9 months.
    9 months is absolutely nothing for a new console.
    There's still not a genuine Ps3 "killer app" 18 months later,

and less than a year after the PS2 was first released had ICO, GTA III, Devil May Cry, FFX, Silent Hill 2, Burnout, Jak and Daxter.

i dont think retrogamer was harsh, there was nothing of note at all released in those 9 months. how so many people chose ps2 over dreamcast when dreamcast were seemingly banging out the classics at will actually upsets me. at least ps3 seems that they have a few good games from launch on, nothing AAA but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

your right, i failed to mention that they only used what they considered to be consoles that had a chance ie advertising campagins etc. if you made a strict list, there would be things like the gp32x, gizmondo, N-gage etc. ill find the link for ye's

Ngage sold like 3million units.
    (and was the best phone i ever owned. i still go with the N-series out of loyalty)

ive always wanted a 32x, pretty much just to play sonic properly, im sure i could emulate it, but id rather buy it and play it for real. i mean, has anyone ever tried enjoying streets of rage on a pc? terrible

oh atari jaguar, you gave so much to boards..

what do you mean by just to play sonic properly, the only sonic-related game on 32x is that knuckles spin-off(pretty expensive i see on ebay).

i want an n-gage too, the neatier QD version seems rare enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

are you seriously telling me more than 200,000 cd-i machines were sold? it was like $1000? did it even come out outside america?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

are you seriously telling me more than 200,000 cd-i machines were sold? it was like $1000? did it even come out outside america?

We had one.. remember seeing them in Easons in Limerick with a few titles..

Didn't the CD-i feature the worst Zelda and Mario titles ever made?

I think Nintendo had to sign some deal that allowed Philips to use the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It was actually European to begin with, but marketed heavier (and more successfully) in the US, as on the cusp of the global CD-ROM -based 'multimedia revolution' (which caught faster in the US).

Most of the CDi variants were actually designed as Midi units (= HiFi separates units), except the 450 (looking very much like a console, and a bit like the 3DO FZ-10) and the portable ones.

The problem with CDi gaming, is exactly that which plagued the early CD-ROM -based consoles (and add-ons) like the Megadrive CD unit: very slow loading times, 16 bit-level graphics (save as to the prerendered stuff streamed off the CD, which was not interactive or not really), sh*t gameplay.

But as combined CD and VCD players, they were fabulous bang-for-buck and competent units, looong before people could even imagine that a film could come on a disc instead of a VHS :D (few people knew that, quality-wise, VHS<VCD<LD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

bought another dreamcast last night for 40 quid... brings my total ive owned to 12.... and im going to buy more.... more fun then the ps3 or the xbox 360.

and unlike them systems none of mine ever broke or needed repair... seem to have BMW built quality ( from my exp. )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jayteecork wrote: »
    Didn't the CD-i feature the worst Zelda and Mario titles ever made?

According to harcoregaming101 the first two zelda games aren't too bad despite the stick they get, in fact quite good other than the disgraceful FMV. The mario games sucked big time though.

S.I.R wrote: »
    bought another dreamcast last night for 40 quid... brings my total ive owned to 12.... and im going to buy more.... more fun then the ps3 or the xbox 360.

and unlike them systems none of mine ever broke or needed repair... seem to have BMW built quality ( from my exp. )

lucky you, i had have 3 break down so far and ive tried to fix each console. mind you, that seems bullet proof compared to 360. there will be no 360s on ebay in 2020!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first year or so on the PS2 were abysmal, very very poor on a much hyped console that used said hype to kill the fortunes of the Dreamcast, if it wasn't for backwards compatibility with the PS there would have been feck all worth playing on it at that time, I had and still have a launch Pal PS2 and love it, but am under no illusions about the muck initial game releases. Compare that to the Xbox and it's clear, that machine had the best launch line up of any console.

The VirtualBoy isn't bad, just the monochrome visuals throw some people off, I've got about 9 games for mine, and they're fun, certainly Wario, Galactic Pinball, Mario Tennis and Red Alarm are all great.

It's a pity retro collectors of the future won't have any hardware capable of playing Halo 3 or Gears of War because the machines will have gone the way of the Dodo, the more sophisticated the console the less likely it is to weather the rigors of time, ho hum....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    According to harcoregaming101 the first two zelda games aren't too bad despite the stick they get, in fact quite good other than the disgraceful FMV. The mario games sucked big time though.

are they just rereleases of the nes games?

anyone here ever see that gamespy "biggest videogaming mistakes" article?

any decent saturn/dreamcast emulators yet?

any decent saturn/dreamcast emulators yet?

You can buy the consoles for 40 quid each and a load of games :)

Last time I checked Dreamcast emulation was practically perfect and that was a few years ago now.

The saturn is a notoriously difficult machine to emulate. There are working emulators out but there's some glitching in some games and you need a beast of a machine to run them

www.zophar.net will have a list of emulators and reviews on which are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Dreamcast was amazing, had one, loved it, miss it! (Soul Calibur 2 was the last time i got excited about a beat em up, and SA was amazing, and Shenmue? dont get me started on Shenmue!

what a game, Shenmue 2 is a big collectors item now too!

that was the first game that cost as much to make as a movie afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Shocking that the Dreamcast is in that list.

Such a great console and great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

An Atari Jaguar option but no poll. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Funbags Freddie

Whoever compiled this list didn't do their research too well. There are tons of poorer selling consoles out there. The Vectrex comes to mind.

Ah the Vectrex. I still have mine :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My brother had a 3-DO,he won it in the sunday world,was a good machine,despite the lack of games that were out for it.

what a game, Shenmue 2 is a big collectors item now too!

seriously?:mad:

an alcoholic i know attempted to sell me his copy a few months ago.

I think we can all agree that that list is bull****.

No Commodore machines there at all - CD32 and the Commodore 64 one.
    No Amstrad, no nothing.
    Plus the Turbo grafx 16 aka the PC Engine was absolutely huge in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The VirtualBoy isn't bad, just the monochrome visuals throw some people off, I've got about 9 games for mine, and they're fun, certainly Wario, Galactic Pinball, Mario Tennis and Red Alarm are all great.

You must be joking! What a piece of sh*t! Did you catch the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of it? Preview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRHGKGRlz-Q

In fact many of the consoles featured on the list he has reviewed and ripped the piss out of to great effect. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You must be joking! What a piece of sh*t! Did you catch the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of it? Preview here:

In fact many of the consoles featured on the list he has reviewed and ripped the piss out of to great effect. :cool:

But did you own one, or are you just restating some other Internet Warrior's opinion ? ;)

CiDeRmAn, go on, 'fess up - how long would you play yours? (I could never manage more than 15 mins, what with a fairly severe case of "rose tinted glasses failure")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

That's just pathetic.

I now love the virtual boy, purely out of spite for AVGN

Advertisement