Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The Cure"

• 31-03-2008 7:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Had a good auld reminiscent chat with the mother yesterday about "the cure". Apparently when I was younger I got the whooping cough, she took me to a woman who brought me upstairs and came back down 5 minutes later with me and a brown bag full of crumbs of digestive biscuits. She told my mother than I had to eat them all and I would be magically cured, which I was!.

Does anyone know anything about this?. Is the cure an Irish thing or what?. Is it black magic or is it based on some sort of psychology?. Just thought it was a bit mad that even though a lot of us know about the cure in Ireland, nobody actually questions it

Here are some of the myths surrounding it....

If two people with the same surname, such as lynch and lynch marry they will have the cure for Whooping cough as above.

A guy who has never seen his fathers face will have a cure for Thrush.

The other one I have heard is the seventh son of a seventh son has the cure for shingles, know a few people that were cured this way too.

Anyone got any more detailed info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's all magic...
    Feelgood wrote: »
    Anyone got any more detailed info?

Google superstitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's all magic...
    Google superstitions.

I hear ya alright, though still a bit stumped. If its just superstitions though how come it actually cures so many people?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I like digestive biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I hear ya alright, though still a bit stumped. If its just superstitions though how come it actually cures so many people?.
    Because some of them are placebos and some have a medical explanation and actually work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Fire In Cairo and The forest are my favorite Cure songs

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

paranormal forum???

When you wake up in the morning take a swig of whiskey, or the last drink you had before you went to bed, and you'll be hang-over free.

Either that or just kick the dog that bit you. Mangy Mutt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

lol

It's "A Forest" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is it black magic or is it based on some sort of psychology?

I can't believe you're actually asking this.

I know a few stories like these. My Aunt (She's nuts) told me about this guy in Kildare that rubs a magic ring on you and can cure you of all sorts. He must be genuine because he doesn't charge any money, he only asks that you give a 'donation' lol

They're all nonsense imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

7th son of a 7th son has the cure for ringworm too.
    An auld lad who lives down the road from me is one of these witch doctors.
    Works though!

And its also the title of an Iron Maiden ablum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 malwina23

can i have contact to that man i need really help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

malwina23 wrote: »
    can i have contact to that man i need really help please

I'm that man, or at least a man. How can I help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Sooo disappointed, thought this was something about the band!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

Pictures of You, Lullaby, Just like Heaven, In between Days

I secretly like the Cure. But I'd never tell anyone. D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Years ago, the lady who lived nextdoor to me could cure warts. If you engaged her services she would say a special prayer on the night of a full moon and then your warts would fall off. It worked a surprising amount of times. She was a devout Catholic. Always seemed too close to magic for my taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

...she took me to a woman who brought me upstairs and came back down 5 minutes later...

The auld lad brought me to a woman like that when I was 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

When we were kids, a woman near us (Old Mrs Woolley) used to buy your warts off you for a penny. If you spent the penny, the warts came back. I worked on me!

7th son of a seventh son could cure mouth ulcers if you kissed them.

Loads of old people could get rid of sprained ankles with ‘the prayer’.

They also made the best poitin in Cavan! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm of Romany Gypsy descent and one of our curses us to spit on the shadow of whoever offends you.

Got me more clatters off teachers in school than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Years ago, the lady who lived nextdoor to me could cure warts. If you engaged her services she would say a special prayer on the night of a full moon and then your warts would fall off. It worked a surprising amount of times. She was a devout Catholic. Always seemed too close to magic for my taste.

You looking forward to tomorrow ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Getting your throat blessed on St Blase's day

• Advertisement
Advertisement