Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye grill

• 31-03-2008 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

whats the full story on this i heard that they are shut for 6 months for sellin northen booze and a 3 million quid fine! what happens the bands now? where are they gonna play?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

muffler wrote: »

That story appears to have been removed , but this one is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

you mean i have to leave boards to find out?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wow, the Gardai are really cracking down on the clubs!

Isn't Ocean Colour Scene to play there soon? Or maybe they've been and gone...

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Wow, the Gardai are really cracking down on the clubs!

Isn't Ocean Colour Scene to play there soon? Or maybe they've been and gone...
    They haven't played there yet.

smashey wrote: »
    They haven't payed there yet.
    "payed" wtf :eek:

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

The penalty for a first time offence under the statute, which legal experts say is rarely invoked, is a £4 fine.

I'm sure the Indo forgot to add in the little 'm' after £4....otherwise surly, one of the patrons from Derry would have had it on them.....:p

Oh, and why is Donegal being picked on all of a sudden?

aoife2k wrote: »
    The penalty for a first time offence under the statute, which legal experts say is rarely invoked, is a £4 fine.

I'm sure the Indo forgot to add in the little 'm' after £4....otherwise surly, one of the patrons from Derry would have had it on them.....:p

Oh, and why is Donegal being picked on all of a sudden?
    The £4 is right. Apparently they invoked a really archaic law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Surely they knew they had no license? especially seen it says they have an application being processed.
    Why didn't they renew the license when it expired in 2006?

With the connections the McGlincheys have, surely they knew this was going to happen. Or did they think they were above the law, because of these connections?

Believe me there are lots of premises out there trading without a license. Just bear in mind that there are factors involved where a particular establishment cant get a renewal at the District Court with the most common being the lack of a tax clearance cert or legal ownership. Im not saying any of these apply to the Grill but just giving a couple of reasons as to why a person/premises cant get a renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Maybe it's no harm :confused:
    <SNIP>

It is harm. I fail to see the relevance of the link to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Decadent

Reported on Highland Radio......

The Grill has been given a cert to reopen once work to a fire exit has been completed. It appears the owner had been seeking a license since the place reopened following renovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Decadent wrote: »

The Grill has been given a cert to reopen once work to a fire exit has been completed. It appears the owner had been seeking a license since the place reopened following renovation.

Meanwhile the fate of all that drink hangs in the balance. There are reports of a delegation from Stranorlar launching an appeal for clemency.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

and expect another court case on Thursday to get his drink back!!
    Ps its called a licence not a license.... drop the American spell check!!!

donegalboy wrote: »
    and expect another court case on Thursday to get his drink back!!
    Ps its called a licence not a license.... drop the American spell check!!!
    And drop the attitude and we will all get along just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 *StoneCold*

Im sure the guards are gonna love that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Decadent

.... drop the American spell check!!!

Is this really the most constructive input you have ? How do you know I am not american?

You now, you try to contribute and this is the pap some people come out with. I reaaaalllllyy wish I hadn't bothered

Thought u mighta had a sense of humour....
    Is this really the most constructive input you have ? How do you know I am not american?

You now, you try to contribute and this is the pap some people come out with. I reaaaalllllyy wish I hadn't bothered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Umbrella Corp

Guys calm down. Before you know it the Grill will be open again and ye can all go for a drink!! lol

Have to say though u do the crime u do the time!!

Ha u said it man...some people are far too easily offended... see ya all the da Grill!!:)
    Guys calm down. Before you know it the Grill will be open again and ye can all go for a drink!! lol

Have to say though u do the crime u do the time!!

Ha u said it man...some people are far too easily offended... see ya all the da Grill!!:)
    I think Umbrella Corp was referring to both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

15 guards and transit vans on a Saturday.... and The Bog Hotel was probably packed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Didn't get shut down for long, its open again on Friday night, quickest license being granted Ive seen in a while :rolleyes:

I read that the fire officer is now happy that work was being carried out under his/her instructions, and so a license will be given.
    I thought they didn't have a license because they hadn't a tax compliant certificate, what has the fire officer to do with it?

The fire officers can object to either the renewal or the granting of a licence in the court. Even if there is a current licence in force they can have a premises closed down if they are not happy with the fire safety arrangements. But having the drink removed - well thats outside of the fire officer's remit.

I understand the fire officer has these powers, but they haven't had a license since 2006, which is 'allegedly' because they haven't had a tax compliance form since 2006.
    Stock being taken from the building would seem to back up this theory, but i just thought it was strange that the story in todays papers make it sound like the fire officer shut them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I think there are a few issues being mixed up here.

They appear not to have had a license due to tax clearance cert issues.

The license was offered on an intermedient basis subject to the usual conditions which would include a fire cert, this would be forthcoming apparently if the door/exit was sorted.

The Gardai took the drink under a very old law that stated they could as there was no license... that hasn't been invoked in living memory by all accounts. The Grill maintain that alot of the time, perhap more than they should have, was down to their rennovations but that was accepted and therefore should not be questioned. The tax clearance issue must have been resolved too then.

It does beg the question as to why only go after them now, who decided to look for a draconion measure to use and why, and what is the ongoing policy the Gardai seem to have against niteclubs. There appears to be a determined effort to cause absolute damage to niteclubs in Letterkenny at all costs and it is interesting to see that pubs still are not policed in Letterkenny and even another club was let open on good friday in town and Glenties. We shall await to see whether prosecutions are made as Good Friday was always sacrament in Ireland. If none are prosecuted then everyone should open next year.

It appears certain niteclubs are being targeted and the whole Frank Shortt and Frankies scenario is being replayed again. I think the Gardai are walking a fine line now as public opinion will cop on to anything untoward and the Gardai need also to be seen to have got over their proven corrupt past in Donegal.

Should the licensing laws be applied fairly and across the board in Letterkenny then one could not really complain but it looks as though certain places are being targeted and it is starting to look very obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

In relation to a nightclub opening in Lk on Good Friday, to my knowledge, they opened on midnight on the button and had a license to do so until 2am. If these facts are correct, they were wityhin the law.

Advertisement