Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye grill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JackG wrote: »
    In relation to a nightclub opening in Lk on Good Friday, to my knowledge, they opened on midnight on the button and had a license to do so until 2am. If these facts are correct, they were wityhin the law.
    That is my understanding of the situation also. There was a club open in Ballybofey too but again only after midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Neither club had an exemption granted to allow them open after 12.
    The club in Glenties may have had but there were not in letterkenny or Ballybofey. Therefore both premises were breaking the law if they hadn't. There is a huge difference between having a license and having an exemption that goes with it for a particular date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Reported in tonights Donegal News, there are another 3 Night clubs in Donegal that are operating without a license. Is this standard practice throughout Ireland or is Donegal the exception?

muffler wrote: »
    Believe me there are lots of premises out there trading without a license.
    Cant say too much about this but a small part of my work necessitates getting this info so yes my post above is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When did they drop the 'Golden' bit?

When I used to go there, it was known as the 'Golden Grill' as it used to be a restaurant.
    donegalboy wrote: »
    Ps its called a licence not a license.... drop the American spell check!!!
    All of the Irish Statute Instruments refer to a 'license' not a 'licence'. ;)

• Advertisement

Neither club had an exemption granted to allow them open after 12.
    Do you know this for a fact?
    Therefore both premises were breaking the law if they hadn't.
    Its one thing stating that they didnt have an exemption and its another making an assumption by using the word "if"
    There is a huge difference between having a license and having an exemption that goes with it for a particular date.
    In fairness I think JackG meant exemption in his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

I am no legal expert but simply meant they were legally allowed to open from friday midnight until 2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

We'll I am fairly sure there were no exemptions in play in the letterkenny District or circuit court area on Good Friday night. An exemption at that time may have allowed a club to serve from 12 - 1.30am but there were none granted. There never have been before either. On the night the Gardai closed the club at 2am I have heard.

What remains to be seen is whether the gardai treat all niteclubs in the same manner and even less likely that the gardai will start enforcing the licensing laws that apply to pubs aswell, particularly the ones they drink in.... Having said that it is unlikely that the likes of the grill etc will not highlight the current double standards.

Apparently the Grill is closed tonight and tomorrow but open for the Ocean Colour Scene Concert on Sunday

Advertisement