Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf Mk4 2002- Engine oil Gone! Help

Options
  • 31-03-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello,
    I've got a 2002 VW Golf 1.4 16v Comfortline with 45,000 miles and a full VW service history. Had it serviced with Belgard 2 months ago where they added Castrol Longlife engine oil.

Last night while doing 120kmph on the M7 my oil warning light came on, so i limped to a texaco and checked the level. Surely enough it was right at the minimum mark. (I noticed that the oil was still very clean.)

So as i sat in the texaco at 11pm i went for my manual. The recomended oil was 501, 502, 503. I had no idea what this meant. The shop was selling 505 no matter what type! So i got a semi synthetic 10W-40 505 and put in a liter.
    Can anyone reccomend a better oil?

I passed mt NCT 1 month ago and the emissions were ok. I have never noticed any smoke coming from her while driving. Also never noticed any oil on the driveway where she's always parked.
    So does anyone know where my oil went? And what type to put back into it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

505.00 Would be fine for your car.

I have seen numerous 1.4 Golfs with the same problem and in fact I actually bought one that had the symptoms you describe.

The 99 1.4 I had a couple of years back was bought from a main dealer with 65K miles on the clock and a full dealer service history. The car had passed an NCT with flying colours about two months after I took ownership.

One day not long after the test I was joining the M1 from the M50 and the oil light started to chrip. At this point I presumed the the Dealer had not serviced the car pre sale. Unfortunitly it wasnt that simple.

At its extreme it burnt about a litre of oil every 500-700 miles. There was no oil leak or smoke from the exhaust. You wouldn't have known there was anything wrong with the car to look at or drive tbh. The only way I could get rid of it in the end was to trade it in and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Oh god no!
    I'm doing high mileage so i was going to sell it in a year anyway but i sure hope its a fixable problem. I've done 2,500 miles since my service so that about 1000 miles per liter. Pretty bad! Anyone else have any similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Sell it to someone who believes golfs are relabile and go and buy a ( vastly superior) focus.
    1.4 golfs are an absolute disaster. My neighbour bought one new in 2002 against my advice. Three years 30,000miles and one new engine and numerous other problems later he went and bought a focus.

Advertisement