Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Wex

• 31-03-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving to wexford (town) in the next 8-10months for a couple of reasons. working being one of them... I imagine its gonna be at least a medium term thing, if not long term, so I am going to purchase a house in the next few months (hopefully). I haven't had a chance to go down and look at properties yet and probably won;t until early June.

However, have been looking at a few properties on the likes of daft etc...
    Was just wondering if anyone could give me some info about the following locales?:

Shanna Court, Coolcotts,
    Clonard Village
    Coolcotts,

Just looking for info like:
    Closeness to town centre (walking/driving)
    type of residents - i.e. not a dodge area.

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Well Clonard village is about a half hour walk into town. It actually not that far. The village is right next to the the retail park, so you will have Atlantic Homecare, Byrnes, DID, KFC and Halfords etc right on your doorstep. They are also expanding the village to include shops/supermarket so it is coming along. Its also about 20 minutes walk from the new Tesco, and its on your way into town so.... I have heard the houses are nice and i am thinking about looking into getting a house in there too. Its not really a dodgy area (i dont think), it is relatively new.

Shanna Court...i have no idea. lol sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

how much you want to spend and the type of house will dictate the type and location....let us know and I'm sure you will get more advice here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

about 240 maybe 250k is the very most I can go to for a property (although most likely to be nearer the 240K mark).

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

In my honest opinion, if you buy a house in Clonard Village you may have problems selling it on again if you move away. I've seen houses that have been on the market for months up there.

Coolcotts is good depending on the part its about 15-20 mins into town. There are some rougher areas of coolcotts, so its worth checking out - but even then its pretty safe.

I was looking at Shanna Court my self!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

isnt Shana court a council estate, or at least was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

If I was moving back I would be looking around John St / Davitt rd / Bride St areas. They are all central and full of decent well settled Wexford families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I didn't think so... .but I could be wrong. I think there have recently been some new houses built in Shanna court which look quite nice. THey are on daft.ie at the moment.

I think Pineridge would be a nice place to live, but houses rarely come up for sale there.

John's road is nice, but it gets really busy around school rush hour time, and I suspect there may be a parking issue there sometimes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

FYI in the local papers there was a great article talking about the reduction in house pricing......4 beds on new developments was 320 now 265, 3 bed was 265 now 225.....(rough figures as i dont have the paper anymore!)

anyway the suggestion was that any prices out there you shouldnt be afraid to put in an offer around 80% of asking.
    If you are in a situation where there isn;t a chain then you would be in an even stronger position. ....pricing is likely to stay here or reduce further over the coming few months so if you have the cash you are on to a winner!

as for areas if i was you i would be wary of joing a new or existing development...there are so many and as someone already said people are struggling to sell ....the houses aren't bad at all but they are all exactly the same....too much choice for the buyer and no added value for you.

Advertisement