Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda and hand held devices?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

So I was driving home last night after spending the weekend with family. I travel the route at least once a week for work reasons also.

I came over a hill in an 80km zone and I was doing about 83-84km an hour. Not sure what it was but I do know I was a fraction over the 80km. There was a Garda car about 200 metres down the road hiding from people coming the opposite direction from me, to catch people as the past by me heading for the hill. He was in full view to me and people travelling down the hill.

Now as I past by him, he had one of those hand held speed readers in his hand and was sitting happily in the sun as cars past by. He didn’t come after me so I think I am ok this time.

I didn’t see a flash from a camera or anything like that and the fact that he didn’t come after me, am I in the clear? Do all the garda’s on the roads today have hand held camera’s also?

Is there a % above the limit you can be travelling at be you can be pulled or?

Now I do admit I was a fraction over the limit but I only have my new car 1 month and I am not a speed limit breaker, I would hate to have 2 points on my licence for 3-4km over the limit.

If I have been done, do I get something in the post, how long does it take to receive something in the post? Or do they have to by law show me with the handheld device what speed I was doing before they can do me?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If it was a handheld device on it own, then don't worry. If it was attached to a load of other gear in the boot of his car like a monitor and PC etc. then you could have been done, these cars are usually MPV's or estate cars to hold all the stuff in afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You'll be grand, if you didnt get stopped you werent over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If your speedo was reading 83-84 then you probably were actually only doing just under 80 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Nope he was in a standard Saloon Toyota Avensis on his own with what i could see in his hand was a small black hand held device.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Friend of my was done 4 days in a row one time. Same stretch of road. He didn't know the (very low) limit - was only just about over it.
    He only discovered the following week, when, every day for 4 days there was an envelope on the mat when he came home.
    80 euro each time, and 2 points.
    You don't even have to know you were done - it's all in the letter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

You should be paying more attention to the road, and not to what ppl are holding in their hands....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Singer73 wrote: »
    You should be paying more attention to the road, and not to what ppl are holding in their hands....

I don't usually reply just to slate someone but what a stupid comment.

Really hope so, would be a disaster if i was done but if i am i am nothing i can do about it, and as i say i do admit i was over the limit.

How long does it take for them to post something? Is it next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll find this funny when you've learned to drive.

OP - When you day you were doing 83-84km/h, do you mean according to your car's speedometer? If so, you were in reality almost certainly doing under 80.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'd commit to being 100% certain you'll be grand OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Your grand don't worry about it you won't hear anymore. Oh and well done on noticing the device. Good observation is very important when driving never mind half witted dumb advice saying you shouldn't be looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

logik wrote: »

Is there a % above the limit you can be travelling at be you can be pulled or?

Cheers

I was under the impression you were allowed 10%?:confused:

Friend of my was done 4 days in a row one time. Same stretch of road. He didn't know the (very low) limit - was only just about over it.
    He only discovered the following week, when, every day for 4 days there was an envelope on the mat when he came home.
    80 euro each time, and 2 points.
    You don't even have to know you were done - it's all in the letter...

Rubbish, if your not stopped at the side of the road and the equipment doesnt take a picture then you don't get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

would be a disaster if i was done
    Are you on 10 points? :eek:

As others have said, you were probably under the limit anyway as speedos tend to under read.

Gardai usually allow a generous margin. Despite all you hear about people being done for being 'just over the limit', the majority of people convicted of speeding have been travelling at over 50% of the posted limit.

craichoe wrote: »
    Rubbish, if your not stopped at the side of the road and the equipment doesnt take a picture then you don't get a fine.
    What makes you so sure the 'equipment doesn't take a picture'? A similar thing happened to my mother, but only over two days. You should think before calling 'Rubbish!';)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am driving 7 years and have never once got a point on my license which is why i don't want to start now. The thing is, the kind of car i drive would sometimes attract attention from the garda so thats why i was more worried. The only time i ever go over the speed limit is when i am over taking other drivers and thats it.

I think i am ok then, judging by what you have all said. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

OP should have paying more attention to the speedo and not the road:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Ah you'll be grand mate, as someone already said if you were just doing 83/84 its really just around 80 anyway!

salonfire wrote: »
    If you paid more attention to reading and not to typing, you would know that the OP wasn't speeding.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

salonfire wrote: »

"Sorry Guard, I was below the speed limit, I just didn't the child crossing the road"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Really hope so, would be a disaster if i was done but if i am i am nothing i can do about it, and as i say i do admit i was over the limit.

How long does it take for them to post something? Is it next day?

what's the big "disaster"?

You get 2 point, 80 euro fine, 2 points (that won't even affect your insurance). So what?

Anan1 wrote: »
    What makes you so sure the 'equipment doesn't take a picture'? A similar thing happened to my mother, but only over two days. You should think before calling 'Rubbish!';)

I've seen the equipment, the one that takes a picture has to be tripod mounted, doesnt work hanging out the window, there also has to be two units as they can't packup the tripod very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

As most others have said OP you'll be fine ... dont worry and keep below the limit from now on. Lesson well learned ...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

The only time i ever go over the speed limit is when i am over taking other drivers and thats it.

I overtook a car on a clear stretch of road, got clocked doing 70mph by a squad car and got two points. The guard didn't care that I was overtaking and fined me along with giving two points.

Advertisement