Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial,goth, alternative metal etc...

• 31-03-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Any bands ye like worth recommending under this category? I'm thinking along the lines of Rammstein, Tool, Gothminister, Covenant etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... Skinny Puppy should be the first port of call for Industrial, and as far as Goth goes, you can't beat Fields of the Nephilim. Alternative Metal though? A Perfect Circle perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 an_dorchadas

Yup! I've got all of those, perhaps I should be asking for some 'hidden gems'!! Thanks for the tips though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Anaal Nathrakh-covers all the headings mentioned(well,maybe not goth)

Watchmaker-hard to describe,sort of industrial,sort of grind,heavy as hell

Nasum-leans more towards the grind/alt category

Agrophobic Nosebleed---as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Skinny Puppy and Fields of the Nephilim +1

Industrial

Ministry Psalms is brilliant

Type O Negative's "Slow, Deep And Hard"

Goth

Cannot go wrong with Type O's "Bloody Kisses" either for a slightly goth feel.

Sisters Of Mercy would be an obvious shout also.

Yup! I've got all of those, perhaps I should be asking for some 'hidden gems'!! Thanks for the tips though...

Ah, I probably won't be of much help so, I'm not too into the whole Industrial/Goth thing any more. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

assemblage 23 / front line assembly - amazing!
    fear factory - remanufacture
    type o negative - life is killing me
    das ich (german goth industrial)
    bauhaus - "in the flat field" or "mask" albums
    killing joke - "nighttime" (not goth per say but real dark)
    siouxsie and the banshee's - "juju"
    White Zombie - "Astrocreep 2000"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Laibach
    Apoptygma Berzerk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This was meant to be a quick post but of course I had to go through my music which took about 30 minutes :). I don't think anyone has posted the following bands. They are mostly Industrial/Metal/Dark Electro. I've highlighted the ones I quite like but they are all worth a listen. All the links point to the band's MySpace pages so you can at hear what they sound like. Just as a matter of interest, what counts as Alternative Metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sisters Of Mercy would be an obvious shout also.

Indeed

I would always have put Tool in the 'alternative metal' Malice, that said, now that you ask I'm not sure. On a slightly different topic..I love Deathstars, they're great craic...

• Advertisement

Trying to think of some of the more obscure Industrial acts I've listened to over the years. I'll trust you've heard Merzbow? Gotta love Laibach as well. For more of the goth thing, I'd recommend Switchblade Symphony. Can't think why I hadn't mentioned them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aborym
    Aesma Daeva
    Atrocity
    Dodheimsgard
    Dimension F3H
    Gire
    Red Harvest
    Sturmgeist
    Samael (later stuff)
    The Amenta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

assemblage 23

great call!

OP - go onto wiki and look for cybergoth/futurepop music.
    it sounds g@y but i have found numerous great bands this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Suicide
    Nitzer Ebb
    DAF
    Visage
    Fad Gadget
    Boytronic
    SPK

Ah yizzers are deadly...thanks for the tips!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

Hmm... Skinny Puppy should be the first port of call for Industrial, and as far as Goth goes, you can't beat Fields of the Nephilim. Alternative Metal though? A Perfect Circle perhaps?

I love really dark music, but could never get into the "traditional" goth rock bands like the nephilim or sisters. They just dont sound particularly dark or genuine... to me that is. I dont hear the sadness or atmosphere in them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

for industrial try front242 and front line assembly (among the others mentioned)... but also see KMFDM for your "industrial rock"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

malice_ wrote: »
    This was meant to be a quick post but of course I had to go through my music which took about 30 minutes :). I don't think anyone has posted the following bands. They are mostly Industrial/Metal/Dark Electro. I've highlighted the ones I quite like but they are all worth a listen. All the links point to the band's MySpace pages so you can at hear what they sound like. Just as a matter of interest, what counts as Alternative Metal?

Cyanotic! I completely forgot about them. I totally by chance bought a Psalm 69 tshirt from one of the guys in the band a few years back on ebay. He send me out a free copy of their first EP. Nice guy :)

Thought I'd scan through my music and see if i could add any more good ones to that list

Dark electro/EBM etc

Amduscia
    Andtroid Lust
    Apoptygma Berzerk
    Aslan Faction
    Aryia
    Blutengel
    C-Drone-Defect - Definitely worth checking out
    Colony 5
    Combichrist
    Cyborg Attack
    FabrikC
    Funker Vogt
    Grendel
    Hocico
    Icon of Coil
    Mind in a Box
    Suicide Commando
    Tactical Sekt
    The Retrosic
    The Strand
    Velvet Acid Christ
    VNV Nation (Irish lead singer..yet they've only played here for the first time recently, odd stuff)

More industrial and experimental

Ohgr (Spinny puppy spin off, really good too)
    Coil
    Current 93
    Download
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Spermblaster

Goth
    (Cant remember if anyone mentioned these)
    Clan of Xymox

Metal
    Turmion kÄtilÖt (If you like Rammstein you should like these)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Some random suggestion from me:
    ASP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8kvrYuQHOo)

If you don't find what you're looking for here, try http://www.side-line.com/ or get an account with Lastfm and type in the genres as tags. You'll get lots of independant, unsigned artists there as well as the signed, big and small, old and new, from all across the world.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thought I'd scan through my music and see if i could add any more good ones to that list

Dark electro/EBM etc

Amduscia
    Andtroid Lust
    Apoptygma Berzerk
    Aslan Faction
    Aryia
    Blutengel
    C-Drone-Defect - Definitely worth checking out
    Colony 5
    Combichrist
    Cyborg Attack
    FabrikC
    Funker Vogt
    Grendel
    Hocico
    Icon of Coil
    Mind in a Box
    Suicide Commando
    Tactical Sekt
    The Retrosic
    The Strand
    Velvet Acid Christ
    VNV Nation (Irish lead singer..yet they've only played here for the first time recently, odd stuff)
    That's a nice long list :), I must check out some of those myself! I'm not sure how but I managed it but I missed Grendel and Retrosic off my list :o. Both of them are well worth a listen. I also missed out Zeromancer but they are probably more metal-orientated.
    Morrigan wrote: »
    If you don't find what you're looking for here, try http://www.side-line.com/ or get an account with Lastfm and type in the genres as tags. You'll get lots of independant, unsigned artists there as well as the signed, big and small, old and new, from all across the world.
    Also try Music Map. Type in a band name and it brings back related bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Loving this thread already, found some very good stuff I never heard before, in particular Laibach.

Anyway, you may be interested in Ruoska for industrial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYYz6Quy9Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Il probably get shot down here, and i doubt its as hard as you might want,but gary numans last album "jagged" was very industrial, and hes bringing out a remix version "jagged edge" later in the year.

Asbad wrote: »
    Anyway, you may be interested in Ruoska for industrial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYYz6Quy9Q
    Good call with Ruoska. I listened to them for the first time last week. The singer reminds me a little of the guy from Rammstein (singing Finnish instead of German I assume :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

For Goth - Lycia, Lycia, and more Lycia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 missLucidia

ah im well into my industrial goth at the mo although you should check out electronica its wicked!! got alot of bands have been said.... by far The Birthday Massacer are amazing breath taking!!! Deathstar kick ass oh Psyclon nine mushroom head, mmm.... combichrist.... sisters of mercy...mindless self indulgance...zombie girl...gary newman (the ledgand)..... snake river conspiricy....nine inch nails(downward spiral album) thats a few to get you started :D
    x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse and Yellow Swans for the industrial/noise side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Celldweller are brilliant, apoptygma beserk, zeromancer, christian death for more gothy moods, and for a good mix try and find the Gothic-Industrial tribute to the smashing pumpkins, and Rob Dougan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

On the industrial goth side does anyone remember Einsturzende Neubaten or Alien Sex Fiend?? Big Bauhaus fan BTW.

i find combichrist, a perfect circle and the cure quite sexy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 spacebarbiek8

http://www.kittierocks.com << kittie r cool fairly unusual like

Advertisement