Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a google sitemap help

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to build a xml sitemap for google for a website but the map gets to about 1,800 pages and just stops. Traced the problem to there only a being a 16M limit on the memory_limit and 30 max_execution_time. I don’t have access to the memory_limit or max_execution_time as these settings have be increased in PHP configuration on the host (php.ini file on the server)

I have been in contact with the host support but because its shared hosting theirs nothing they will do.

Does anyone know any way to a work around building a site map approx 20,000 pages without eating up all the memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Just posting this if anyone else comes across this problem and this seems to work for me.

I can run the script alone on a my local machine server and I realized the script did not have to be on the same server as the website being crawled.

I have Xampp on a windows machine, and I had to change the php.ini file in about 5 locations to increase max _execution_time and memory. I just reset file locations and names to suit my site in the configuration. Then uploaded the completed sitemap to my host.

Apart from taking up a massive amount of memory and time, the script is running well at the moment and I assume its taking some time to crawl due to limitations from my shared hosts allowed amount of http requests!

I hope this has been helpful to anyone using shared hosting! and what to build a big sitemap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

yah, i could have got you a sample file, but be careful of settings which may be vastly different..

did you build your own script or did you download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

nevf wrote: »
    did you build your own script or did you download it?

Downloaded I wouldn't know how to build one, and if I did it probably won't work correctly!:pac:

Advertisement