Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband - sorry if this has been done to death

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I have 2mb broadband, and I use this wirelessly using the supplied Netopia router. The connection speed is OK, but i've noticed in the past that it has the inclination to drop fairly regularly.

I've been trying to play my PS3 online recently, and while it works occasionally, I am rarely able to access anything but the smallest games online.

Anyone know if this is a problem with my connection, or is it likely to be an issue with the router?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

If the DSL light flashes on the router when you lose it then its your connection. Could also be wifi interference. You can change the frequency on the router by going to 192.168.1.254 in the address bar on your browser. Click wireless>>advanced config options>>change the frequency to 1. Go thru all the frequencies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You really need to establish exactly where the problem is.

If you connect by ethernet does your connection drop at all? If not then it is a wireless problem. Then you need to look at issues like how far from the router is the rest of your equipment? Is there a neighbour using the same frequency as the previous poster has suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

dub45 wrote: »
    You really need to establish exactly where the problem is.

If you connect by ethernet does your connection drop at all? If not then it is a wireless problem. Then you need to look at issues like how far from the router is the rest of your equipment? Is there a neighbour using the same frequency as the previous poster has suggested.

It's been a while since I used ethernet, but I vaguely remember the connection being more reliable with it. I'll try adjusting the frequency, thanks to both for the advice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be wifi interference or your DSL,
    To test wifi connect via ethernet

to sort your DSL issues please read the FAQ/Charter which is linked to in my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

the eircom wifi strength that come with the standard routers isnt that strong, so its possible that your just getting a weak signal , i also remember seeing many xbox connection questions on http://support.eircom.net , there is a possiblility that you have same sort of issue as some of those people.

as for myself

ive a pile of issues with eircom,when it comes to gaming.... i dont use ps3 (pc) but latency is terrible...jumping from 50 to over 500 all the time, not ive tried firewall settings on router,on OS,etc

i ring up eircom and their solutions dont do anything and alot of the time are in my view pointless(im a current undergraduate CS student)

my firmwire is up to date, ports for the games arent blocked. i dont have clashing anti virus software etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I vaguely remember hearing something about the router not being that great - not sure where I heard this though. I wonder if that could be a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

tbh its not great, however on my other computer i used get a constant ping of 50 - 70 not 500+ so as much as id like to blame the router... id blame the isp first

my new rig is something i only finished building within the last 3 weeks, ive tried it out at the iSeries 1600person LAN in london , at a mates house that has BT, and a mate who has chorus.... all gave me good ping with very little choke or packet loss...which cant be said for eircom..the match says it has ping of 50 ,but when i join...latency goes through the roof

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

spav wrote: »
    I vaguely remember hearing something about the router not being that great - not sure where I heard this though. I wonder if that could be a factor?

If you want to get your issue fixed there is no point in pondering vaguely remembered stuff! Establish first of all the quality of your connection - thats the basic thing. Then try and systematically address your wireless performance. Unfortunately wireless performance is notoriously unpredictable and is very much dependent on each indiviual's domestic situation.

Have you attempted to find out if there are any other networks on the same frequency? (Netstumbler will help here) Have you tried moving your equipment around to see if better signals can be found in other parts of the house.

I know several people using the Netopia (not gamers) who never have an issued with it (much to my surprise). But as regards equipment you will find some people who hate Netgear and swear by Linksys and then completly the reverse. So usually there is no easy ready answer to wireless equipmet problems.

Advertisement