Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint for a gate

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Paint for a gate
    Anybody got any recommendations as to what paint is best to paint metal gates with?

The gates are huge and I don't want to have to paint them again in the next few years so I want an excellent quality paint.

One that only needs one coat preferably???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

There's not a lot wrong with Triflow Total Metal Care , we haven't got it on our gates but 2 of our trailers are painted with it , neither of which are kept in a shed most if the year. They both are still in excellent condition having been roughly 3 or 4 years since last painted and a good thing according to the tin is you don't need to remove all the rust . Although probably best to give the gates a good run down with a wire brush anyway. It's a thick gel and should only need one coat if applied right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You don't mention what state the metal is in; is it new? Previously painted? In poor condition?
    Triflow and other metal paints are fine, but you need to prep surfaces correctly or they simply peel off. This is especially true if you have unprimed galvanise steel.

One coat will depend on the current colour and the desired colour...assuming black and black, most metal paint will cover/hide well in one coat.Metallic or white finishes will probably need two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Emily2008

Thanks for all the help guys. Wertz it's already painted (black) and it's black that I'm going with again. There are a few rusty bits that I will give a brush down thanks for the advice. Thanks for the link Barry, looks good. I'll e-mail someone there and check it out.

Advertisement