Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby on the rails

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey guys,

does anyone know if there are any courses in Dublin for Ruby. I am a novice in programming but have read up about this language and would like to learn more about it,

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I'd suggest taking a look at JRuby on Rails. It has all the advantages of Rails but runs on the Java virtual machine. There's a good beginners introduction to JRuby in this months Linux magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Beerno

Thanks for that mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'd suggest taking a look at JRuby on Rails. It has all the advantages of Rails but runs on the Java virtual machine. There's a good beginners introduction to JRuby in this months Linux magazine.
    Why is this advisable?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Mirror wrote: »
    Why is this advisable?
    Well I'm not a fanboy of any particular platform. The OP expressed an interest in Ruby on Rails. I think JRuby has a better future than pure Ruby on Rails so would possibly be more useful.

Care to add anything yourself?

No you mistook me, I have a little experience with RoR but wish to further it, and had never heard of JRuby so was asking from the point of view of using it if it is indeed preferable. I didn't mean to come across as though I was questioning your point of view, merely looking for more info on your point of view. :)

• Advertisement

So Jruby has more of a future than ruby? Do you know of any places where they teach JRuby then, or would I have to teach myself via magazines or the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It's all MERB to be fair.

Merb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

http://merbivore.com/

Another ruby framework. My friend says its great (He's a real life rails developer)

Which leads me to my next question, anywhere there are courses in Dublin on MERB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RedStarHardkore

I would advise going into your local Waterstones and picking up the Pragmatic Programmers 'Programming Ruby' (also known as the pick-axe book). It will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about Ruby for a little over 40 quid. A hell of a lot cheaper than a course and you'll learn much, much more from it. For Rails, I'd recommend the Pragmatic Programmers 'Agile Web Development with Rails' (the skateboard book). Written by David Heinemeier Hansson who actually created Rails, it covers the whole framework. For less than a hundred quid and a bit of determination you then have Ruby and Rails covered.

Also, I can recommend the Lynda.com video tutorials by Kevin Skoglund, I'm working through them at the moment and really feel like I'm coming to terms with the language, while doing a little research with the core library as I go.

I heard a rumour that you could get these videos free somewhere, dunno if that's true though...

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I bought the agile web development book from Bookdepository.co.uk for £18.50 or so a few months ago. These might be of help to you.

Links :

Programming Ruby 2nd Edition £18.63

Agile Web Development with Rails £16.19

Also I stumbled across videos from UC Berkeley on Ruby on Rails :http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=20854

Are all these suggestions easy to follow for a beginner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Advertisement