Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudest Staff member in UCD

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I definitely vote for the gang in Centra, great laugh and they're relatively quick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,247 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I went into the SU shop to see if one of my friends was there and as I stood at the entrance for about 2 seconds I must've held up one of the middle ages guys who stocks the stuff as he had a box of popcorn in his hand, so I turn to walk away and I get 'What the fúck are you doing? Fúck sake!'

Now, while it may have been a slight annoyance to him to have to change the direction he was walking but that reaction really pissed me off, I was actually going to see if I could complain about it but didn't bother...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

Which Centra is this now, the one at the gates at the back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Also wrote: »
    Which Centra is this now, the one at the gates at the back?

The one in Merville. I didn't know there was another one? Are you thinking of Spar at Fosters Avenue / Roebuck Road?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I *think* I saw Librocop yesterday on Level 3 of the library. I'm a firstie so I haven't a clue who Librocop actually is.

This man just walked around behind everyone, didn't say anything until he came to a girl sitting on a desk beside a pillar and made her move because she wasn't using a laptop (plug access there) and then told 2 girls to stop talking, and walked away. I've seen him before as well, not just yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay, I'm only going to take the side (well, sympathise anyway) with the 911 staff on the big note issue.

I used to work in a small shop which was open until 11pm. On Fridays, among other days, it was like everyone just got paid in cash or every ATM in the vicinity was giving out 50s and nothing else but you would get 15-20 people in a row paying with 50e for purchases under a fiver.

There was just no way to cope. Even when the banks were open, you just couldn't have the best part of a grand in the till in preparation.

Anyway, the response by them was not cool but I often found myself in a situation where I couldn't give customers chnage and would have to ask them to put it on their account or get change (its not a nice situation obv).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

The one in Merville. I didn't know there was another one? Are you thinking of Spar at Fosters Avenue / Roebuck Road?
    Oh yeah actually it's the Spar on Roebuck Road I'm thinking of!
    I'm terrible for buying the chicken stuffing sandwiches in the arts cafe though, when I'm starving and it's handy, 3.20e doesn't seem too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I *think* I saw Librocop yesterday on Level 3 of the library. I'm a firstie so I haven't a clue who Librocop actually is.

This man just walked around behind everyone, didn't say anything until he came to a girl sitting on a desk beside a pillar and made her move because she wasn't using a laptop (plug access there) and then told 2 girls to stop talking, and walked away. I've seen him before as well, not just yesterday.

Sounds like him, he tends to stand behind people for a bit if they're breaking one of those annoying rules, tend rather than using words he tends to point to one of the signs with the rules to make his point. He's just doing his job but what bothers people is the sheer attitude off him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Librocop is tough but fair. Underneath that cold, detached exterior, you know he has a fair level of decency about him.

On the other hand, there is another Newman library employee/security man who is older, heavier and a bit taller than Librocop; he is grumpy and a bully. He was disgracefully obnoxious to me on one occasion when I was in 1st year when I asked him where the short loan section was. I saw him treat a girl like a piece of garbage for holding a coffee cup a few weeks back also... whisked her off like an SS man and fined her €20. He was doing his job technically but he intimidated the crap out of her.

Centra is great btw and UCD staff are generally fine. Never been in 911.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Librocop keeps things in order but he is never unfair. Somebody like him is needed in a library full of students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Librocop keeps things in order but he is never unfair. Somebody like him is needed in a library full of students.

Agree. Librocops a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

There were four Libocops over my time in the Library, the guy generally referred to as "Libocop" is a bald guy, bit younger than the rest, generally not an asshole.

Followed in soundness by an older guy with long hair and then an older guy with dark, medium length hair who was (is) a total asshole.

Lastly, the guy who got done for pedophilia.

There were also a couple of temp guys during busy periods; a black guy and a south-Asian looking dude. They were both alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

noodler wrote: »
    Okay, I'm only going to take the side (well, sympathise anyway) with the 911 staff on the big note issue.

I used to work in a small shop which was open until 11pm. On Fridays, among other days, it was like everyone just got paid in cash or every ATM in the vicinity was giving out 50s and nothing else but you would get 15-20 people in a row paying with 50e for purchases under a fiver.

There was just no way to cope. Even when the banks were open, you just couldn't have the best part of a grand in the till in preparation.

Anyway, the response by them was not cool but I often found myself in a situation where I couldn't give customers chnage and would have to ask them to put it on their account or get change (its not a nice situation obv).
    We don't care about the staff. Give out the change, or keep the food.

I would suggest a middle ground might be to have visible signage indicating which notes are not acceptable, before the transaction begins. Otherwise, it's legal tender; you must accept it.

This is why customer service jobs can be so annoying. Having faced UCD students in a service role, I can understand why the 911 staff can be pi$$ed off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Not "rudest" but most annoying... Lecturers who put 100% of materials for the course in the copy centre instead of using blackboard for at least some of them. Damnit all those photocopies add up and I'm fcuking broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Not "rudest" but most annoying... Lecturers who put 100% of materials for the course in the copy centre instead of using blackboard for at least some of them. Damnit all those photocopies add up and I'm fcuking broke!

They could just let you buy the book. No?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mardy Bum wrote: »

In this case it would be several different books as all the materials are from different sources. My point is that Blackboard is there to make life convenient for both student and lecturer alike, so I'd rather they used it instead of me having to pay for a tenner's worth of photocopies each week.

:rolleyes: yourself.

EDIT: I have had to buy 4 books for that module already. Needing to buy copies of materials each week on top of that is getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mardy Bum wrote: »

What a silly thing to say

Most of the stuff they put in there has been physically photocopied from a book, so would not be available online. I know they could scan it for you but they have reasons for not doing that. Copyright issues are one. I know of lecturers told to take down copyrighted material from Blackboard. So they are actually doing students a favour by putting it in there in those instances.

Another reason is that by making students put in more effort to get it, they can weed out the particularly lazy students :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Most of this thread seems to be talking about places that sell food.

What do you care?

Vote with your feet. :p

The problem is when you have pugnacious staff in you School of Whatever or in Admin, etc.

You don't have any option but to deal with them, to bow and scrape, and accept their lies (such as, 'oh yes, we'll ring you' when both you and the staff member know that said phone call will never happen).

When you are chasing up exam results, fees, jobs, scripts, staff information, etc. : that's when you want to be dealing with a good member of staff.

I could take a surly grunt at The Grind any day :D

----
    Disclaimer: The views of RandomName2 do not is any way shape or form bear any relevance on the general demeanor of staff part-taking in the UCD project, nor is it an indicator of the average experience of visitors or students within the democratic republic of UCD or its environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

the dark haired woman in the vet canteen is def up there with rudeness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In this case it would be several different books as all the materials are from different sources. My point is that Blackboard is there to make life convenient for both student and lecturer alike, so I'd rather they used it instead of me having to pay for a tenner's worth of photocopies each week.

:rolleyes: yourself.

EDIT: I have had to buy 4 books for that module already. Needing to buy copies of materials each week on top of that is getting old.
    Most of the stuff they put in there has been physically photocopied from a book, so would not be available online. I know they could scan it for you but they have reasons for not doing that. Copyright issues are one. I know of lecturers told to take down copyrighted material from Blackboard. So they are actually doing students a favour by putting it in there in those instances.

Another reason is that by making students put in more effort to get it, they can weed out the particularly lazy students :D

Parker kent said it for me! Copyright being the main issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Librocop is fine in my book, I've never saw him go out of his way to be a tool, he just runs a tight ship. The James Joyce library staff in general are friendly.

911 staff are a bit intimidating alright, I had a similar problem to Mikey before and I'd say I know which one he's talking about.

It's not just them though, some academic staff have no idea about how to talk to people. I can't go into specifics obviously though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

An horrendous attitude. You've obviously never worked in retail, and everyone should at some stage in their lives. Doing so might make you realise that the person across the counter is also a human being and not some kind of serf, there only to ensure your satisfaction. You are more evidence that the customer is generally wrong.

And yes, €50 notes on a Friday are a nightmare. But that's the fault of the banks, who can't be bothered to stock their machines with a few different denominations.

etchyed wrote: »
    An horrendous attitude. You've obviously never worked in retail, and everyone should at some stage in their lives. Doing so might make you realise that the person across the counter is also a human being and not some kind of serf, there only to ensure your satisfaction. You are more evidence that the customer is generally wrong.

And yes, €50 notes on a Friday are a nightmare. But that's the fault of the banks, who can't be bothered to stock their machines with a few different denominations.

I'm torn on this one.

I agree that people who work in retail are people too and should be treated with respect. If someone has a complaint against the business, it should be directed towards the business and not made into a personal attack against a single member of staff.

At the same time, however, it is a service industry, and as such during their working hours, yes, they are there to ensure your satisfaction. I think this should be reflected in their level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

etchyed wrote: »

I work in a shop, I know how frustrating it is. But I have no pity whatsoever for a man as rude as him. I wont go in there full stop if he's a the deli counter, he makes a fúcking awful sandwich and goes about asking for smaller denomination notes in the worst possible way. The food they serve in there is mediocre at best, I go out of my way to get food elsewhere most of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

This is why customer service jobs can be so annoying. Having faced UCD students in a service role, I can understand why the 911 staff can be pi$$ed off.

Do you know why students are píssed off in there? They are so slow! 20 mins from walking in, to sitting down. 10 mins waiting to order with only 2 people ahead of me and two serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Why do people go to 911? The food is terrible, the place is always filthy and according to this thread the people who work there are rude? Am I missing something? Is it especially cheap or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you dont like the food or service in the shops/restaurants then just stop going there. Bring your own lunch from home, much cheaper and probably better for you anyway.

Advertisement