Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rammstein, whats the general opinion on this group?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Kanzler wrote: »
    kölle alaaf juchee! yeah. du auch?

Nicht wirklich. Ich war ein erasmus student in Köln. Ich vermisse Reissdorf kölsch und RheinEnergieStadion :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kanzler

Nicht wirklich. Ich war ein erasmus student in Köln. Ich vermisse Reissdorf kölsch und RheinEnergieStadion :(

tatsächlich? ich habe die letzten 10 jahre in der nähe vom stadion gewohnt. aber was ist denn ein erasmus student? bist du deutscher oder ire?

Undergod wrote: »
    But Till is from Berlin. Not near Austria or Bavaria.

thats right. but it is a german dialect. doesn`t matter from where he is. they are defently not neo nazis. that is the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

thats right. but it is a german dialect. doesn`t matter from where he is. they are defently not neo nazis. that is the thing.

Of course it matters- dialects are usually geographically linked. My point was; why does Till sing in this dialect if it is from a region nowhere near him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Of course it matters- dialects are usually geographically linked. My point was; why does Till sing in this dialect if it is from a region nowhere near him?

Cause it sounds cool? Who knows and more to the point, is it really that important?

Has anyone ever asked him directly on his views/thoughts about nazism? Then its just idle speculation - you either like the band or you dont, how he rolls his "r"s is I think, less important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Cause it sounds cool? Who knows and more to the point, is it really that important?

Has anyone ever asked him directly on his views/thoughts about nazism? Then its just idle speculation - you either like the band or you dont, how he rolls his "r"s is I think, less important

I only thought it was important cause it seemed unlikely, and was looking for some backup to the claim. Your hypothesis is pretty valid though. :D

The song "Links 2 3 4" is a response to the Neo-Nazi accusations, all about how they are left wing and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

This is taken from the Herzeleid website which is a great site for lyrics etc
    http://herzeleid.com/en/faq/band#faq4

Unfortunately, considering the band's staunch approach, and their reliance on both German language and heritage to inspire their music, the haunting images of their nation's war-like past have followed Rammstein around virtually from day one. Even the German media has set out to uncover the true meanings behind some of Rammstein's more controversial and mysterious songs- with no evidence what-so-ever of oft-rumored Nazi-leanings ever even showing up. The band's members themselves are as confounded as anyone as to where these obviously false allegations first started. Some believe it may have to do with the cover art of their 1995 debut disc, Herzeleid, where the six shirtless, well-toned band members come across as poster boys for some new "master race." Other group members insist it's just the German media doing their best to cause trouble.

"It has been so silly," Flake explained. "That was just a photo of us- not some political statement! The German media sometimes gets carried away with such things. There was even one critic who said that the way Till rolls his 'r's' when he sings is supposed to mimic the way that Hitler used to speak! How silly can they get. We've never written a political song in our life, and we probably never will. It's just reverse discrimination because we are German. Kraftwerk had the same thing happen to them twenty years ago. If we were Spanish or Dutch, there would be no problem."

Nea wrote: »
    This is taken from the Herzeleid website which is a great site for lyrics etc
    http://herzeleid.com/en/faq/band#faq4

If we were Spanish or Dutch, there would be no problem."

And that is the thing. Till rolls the "R" and he MUST be a neo nazi. that is what the german people things. but nobody (the german AND all other people all over the world) can`t understand the text in they songs. there is no sign of a political issue. absolutly nothing.

by the way, in germany we have a loads of singer, who rolls the "R" in they`re songs as well. for example: Heino. google him. he is the opposite of rammstein and nobody would say that he is a nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

tatsächlich? ich habe die letzten 10 jahre in der nähe vom stadion gewohnt. aber was ist denn ein erasmus student? bist du deutscher oder ire?

Ich bin ire. Ich war nur ein jahr in Köln lernen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

anyone seen the beginning 'reise reise' in the voelkerball(nimes concert) dvd? pretty provocative. but i think that's all they were trying to be, nothing more.
    best albums are reise reise and mutter. rosenrot is great but just not up there with the other two. sehnsucht i didn't like that much but it did feature engel.

by the way anyone recommend the 'live aus berlin' ablum??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

first heard sonne a few years ago, the only line i could remember was the opening, ein, zwei, drei, etc, listened to lot of mutter on youtube before buying the album acople of months ago, not a bad album, some good tracks on it, even though i did terrible at GCSE german, can still enjoy it

some dark stuff on it though, have heard one or two of the tracks translated, and have had similar experiences to the OP when playing it to friends, although they used another word instread of cr@p, and it rhymes with night

:eek:

i dont know. you have to ask himself. but i think it is because it sounds "cool", just germanlike. it is a very old tradition to roll the "r" in the german language.

alois wrote: »
    anyone seen the beginning 'reise reise' in the voelkerball(nimes concert) dvd? pretty provocative. but i think that's all they were trying to be, nothing more.

it is it is. that is what i think as well. but anyway, rammstein are one of the best german bands, i think. in opposite of "scorpions". horrible band. i have senn rammstein live in berlin in 2005. it was in the middle of the summer and the location was an old amphitheatre and the day was very bright and hot (approx 35 degrees) because it was summer. result: the show was not so good because you couldn`t see the fire, the sound was awful because the concert was outside and near by the stage it was much more hot because the fire and the hot weather.

if you ever want to go to a rammstein concert, do it in the winter inside a concert hall! it will be much more better.

by the way, have rammstein ever got a concert in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

alois wrote: »
    .....rammstein are one of the best german bands, i think. in opposite of "scorpions". horrible band....

Hey, hey. Don't slag the Scorps. One of the best 70/80's rock bands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7c28LhgVbA&feature=related

BostonB wrote: »

Hey, hey. Don't slag the Scorps. One of the best 70/80's rock bands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7c28LhgVbA&feature=related

i dont slag the scorps. i`m telling about the reality..:cool: sorry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Rammstein are my number 1
    Got their symbol tattoo'd on my arm, so they are with me 'til I die :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Till said he rolls his R's because he likes to use speach and his voice as an instrument to ad dynamcis to the bands songs.

As far as he is concerned it is no different from adding an effect to a guitar, or a drum fill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rammstein are great but so are The Scorpions.

Oh and lets no forget the mighty Accept when we are a German theme.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I played a couple of tracks from their Mutter album at a rock night on Saturday and they went down like a led Baloon, "get that German crap off etc" had to quickly fade them out. Is there any Rammstein fans out there?

It depends on what songs you played really.

If you played Amerika or something I couldn't imagine that being received badly but if you thought that "Mein Teil" or something would go down well then I'm not surprised.

I like Rammstein, but for a metal bands that are a bit of fun I'd be more inclined to go for Type O Negative over Rammstein, simply because I think Type O have a much better sound to their albums. Just my opinion, I have all of Rammsteins albums except Herzeleid so I have listened to them thoroughly.

big big big mistake! rammstein have absolutly nothing to do with some pro nazi issues. but you`re right if you say "some" germans don`t like them because rammstein sounds like a nazi band.
    a reason for that is because till lindemann is singing the "R" very specially, like "RRRRRRRammstein". And that is what adolf hitler did as well. but adolf hitler was from austria and loads of people in austria AND in south germany (bavaria) have that special dialekt. so, that is a question of a language, not of a nazi propaganda. and THAT is what some german people dont understand.

"Rammstein have absolutely nothing to do with some pro nazi issues", great generalisation there.

Rolling the R in words is not a feature of any German dialect I know of.

I would also go so far as to say that unless you are German I wouldnt really be commenting on how right or wrong they are in their opinions of Rammstein.

Either way you look at it Rammstein are a German metal band which carries a stereotype with it and primarily sing about extremely odd topics, such as rape, drugs, cannibalism and most kinds of sex :)

"Rammstein have absolutely nothing to do with some pro nazi issues", great generalisation there.

I would also go so far as to say that unless you are German I wouldnt really be commenting on how right or wrong they are in their opinions of Rammstein.

Either way you look at it Rammstein are a German metal band which carries a stereotype with it and primarily sing about extremely odd topics, such as rape, drugs, cannibalism and most kinds of sex :)[/QUOTE]

oh, are you a native german speaker? do you know the different german dialects? fluently? me too.

It would be quiet similar, if i would try to explain, U2 is a band from netherland and bono is always singing about some smashing donuts in swedish.

and yes, it is a great generalisation. but it is a good generalisation. thank god for that.

• Advertisement

Either way you look at it Rammstein are a German metal band which carries a stereotype with it and primarily sing about extremely odd topics, such as rape, drugs, cannibalism and most kinds of sex :)

oh, are you a native german speaker? do you know the different german dialects? fluently? me too.

It would be quiet similar, if i would try to explain, U2 is a band from netherland and bono is always singing about some smashing donuts in swedish.

and yes, it is a great generalisation. but it is a good generalisation. thank god for that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I speak German and I still stand by my statement that rolling R's is not in any German dialect I know of. We can get this moved to the languages forum (assuming there is one) if you would rather discuss the finer points of this.

What the hell was the last part about? I sort of got what you were trying to do but I think that your English might have been a bit off.

Also, when you edited your message when trying to quote me you appear to have messed with the opening and closing quote HTML so it looks a bit messy, just so you know i'm not trying to paraphrase you :)

Meh, I digress, Rammstein are good, their topics of conversation are not my cup of tea, I enjoy their music and their live shows and I would pay to see them and for their records.

Froot wrote: »

and yes, it is a great generalisation. but it is a good generalisation. thank god for that.

Yes, I speak German and I still stand by my statement that rolling R's is not in any German dialect I know of. We can get this moved to the languages forum (assuming there is one) if you would rather discuss the finer points of this.

What the hell was the last part about? I sort of got what you were trying to do but I think that your English might have been a bit off.

Also, when you edited your message when trying to quote me you appear to have messed with the opening and closing quote HTML so it looks a bit messy, just so you know i'm not trying to paraphrase you :)

Meh, I digress, Rammstein are good, their topics of conversation are not my cup of tea, I enjoy their music and their live shows and I would pay to see them and for their records.[/QUOTE]

oh yes, you`re right. my english is absolutly HORRIBLE and awful. thats right. i`ve been in ireland since 3 months. thats all. but its looks like that you understand what i`m trying to say, isn`t it? except the last part.

are you irish or german?

I'm not German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Wel.. i think Rammstein are great..
    strangely i always pronounce it Rammshhtein... probably NOT how Germans say it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Well regardless of political overtones (ie. rolling 'R's and nazism as outlined above) I have to admit that Rammstein are one of the most powerful bands I have ever heard. I only bought Mutter a couple of weeks ago and I'm now a huge fan, have Reise Reise and Rosenrot, both are good too but Mutter was the pinnacle IMO. Some of the songs just have this power and resonance in them that really gets me... maybe it's just Till's voice as well, but does anyone else get a chill listening to 'Spieluhr', or just feel like breaking something during Feuer Frei :D?

All in all a true musical tour de force, anyone agree? All the better for my honours German studies as well :p

Krieg wrote: »
    Rammstein are my number 1
    Got their symbol tattoo'd on my arm, so they are with me 'til I die :D
    Ah go on.. put up a picture of the tattoo... :)

please?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jokoli

I like Rammstein, however growing up in Germany as a foreigner and following the ups and downs of the band over the past, made me understand some prejudices some people have against Rammstein.

I like the music, but the lyrics however are very controversial and with being a foreigner in Germany, I always felt and still feel divided listening to them (even though I love the guitar riffs)

The connection between Rammstein and Pro-Nazi movements could be just a chain of unlucky coincidences. However Germany always been and needed to be very careful with could-be-neo-narcissistic-celebrities after the holocaust in world war2. It’s unfair, but that’s life and probably a trial of prevention.

Rammstein never took the Media too serious, and that might be a reason for the public seeing them as pro-Nazis, or at least not Anti-nazis, or just an "odd" band.

-The band name Rammstein: meant as a joke but stuck to them, was an American airbase (but spelled Ramstein). In 1988, 70 people died in an airplane show, when an airplane crashed into the audience. In the beginning when the band was formed they performed under the band name "Rammstein-Flugschau" (Rammstein-airplaneshow)

-Lyrics: many lyrics display tabooed topics like Sadomasochism (Bück dich, Bestrafe mich and Rein Raus), Homosexuality (Mann gegen Mann), Incest (Spiel mit mir and Tier), Paedophilia (Tier and Halleluja), Necrophilia (Heirate mich and Weißes Fleisch), Pyromania (Benzin and Hilf mir), Canibalism (Mein Teil), violence while sex (Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen) …. although the say it’s their thing that their lyrics will always have enough room for interpretation…. And if you have lyrics like those, and don’t explain, people will make up their own interpretations

-In the video to the song stripped they showed video sequences of the Olympic games in 1936 and Leni Riefenstahl (a german NS-director who was a big fan of the narcissistic body of thought and a close female friend of Hitler). Music channels, only played the video after 10PM

-They made a song against prejudices (Links 2 3 4) to remove any connection to the right-winged scene in Germany

-The Media asked them when they are not right-winged, why they don’t participate on events like “Rock against racism”, and Rammstein always rejected, stating that this doesn’t bring anything and it’s time to face and solve problems

-A right-winged political party made remarks to Rammstein in the media how good it is to have a successful German band who has a good relationship to their country

-In 2004 the media thinks more and more that Rammstein makes statements, performances which have a right-winged influence, but more to provoke and to make fun of the past

-Plus the major fact that Rammstein is very popular in the neo-narcissistic scene

As you see, some points are just the media making a big thing out of something, others make you think.

I hope this helped you guys understand why some people can’t make their mind up “are they or aren’t they….?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

KatCookie wrote: »
    Ah go on.. put up a picture of the tattoo... :)

please?:D:D

Here :o
    Im hoping to upgrade it next week by putting the "sonne" symbol around it

New Rammstein album coming out in a few months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I really like them. Their stageshows are supposed to be amazing!

• Advertisement

Krieg wrote: »
    Here :o
    Im hoping to upgrade it next week by putting the "sonne" symbol around it

New Rammstein album coming out in a few months :D
    Nice, not too flashy or in your face..

Advertisement