Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jazz History

• 31-03-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for some information on Jazz history in Ireland, when it first came over here? who were the popular musicians of the time etc? I've done some research online,but can't really find much. I did a jazz history class when I was in newpark but I can't for the life of me remember if there was anything specific to Ireland.
    I've heard a joke about Louis Stewart bringing it over in a guitar case but apart from that I've got nothin, any help?

Thanks,
    SS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Hey SS

Don't know anything about jazz history in Ireland but do you have a gig this weekend in Bewley's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I sure do. check out the details here - http://www.bewleyscafetheatre.com/ its called A Tribute to the Ladies of Jazz.
    Also I'm on newstalk 106FM on Saturday morning, the weekend review show at 11am being interviewed and performing.
    (who is this by the way...pm me if I know you,I'm never able to guess people from their user names)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

When I started going to gigs in the early 70's, jazz in Dublin was fairly sparse. I particularly remember a regular Sunday night slot featuring the Noel Kellehan quintet in the Killiney Court Hotel. The jazz here was always superb. It was always very well attended.

Other names that come to mind from around this time (unfortunetly some have since left us) are : Keith Donald, Dick Buckley, Jim Doherty, Johnny Wadham, Mike Nolan, Frank Hess, Peter Ainscough, and Dave Fleming (you 've already mentioned Louis Stewart). All world class musicians, but little known (except Stewart) outside Ireland.

thanks so much for that, very helpful!!!

Another name has just come to mind (hope I have it right as it was a long time ago :D )

His name was Ken Stewart. I think he played piano. He always dressed very fashionably as he owned a clothes shop (boutique in those days :rolleyes: )
    He was a great musician. He died fairly young AFAIK.

• Advertisement

do you know what instrument Jim Doherty played?
    Also could you tell me if you remember jazz ever really being played before the early 70's?

Thanks so much for this, it's a great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

If you've any interest in jazz in Ireland from a social point of view, not just musical, you might find this very entertaining!
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/1091164.html
    Documentary's about 30mins long, but worth a listen

thats great, thanks for that. I was just talking to Tommy Halfarty there and I got loads more info too so I'm doing ok now.
    Cheers for your help.

SS

Jim Doherty plays (he still plays from time to time) piano. I'm too young ;):D to remember much further back.

You might try searching the "Irish Times " archives. There was a jazz critic (his name escapes me at present) who regularly had a column in that paper, possibly as far back as the 60's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Aren't some of thoe Killiney players still big banding on a sunday afternoon somewhere? You could have a chat with them I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I sure do. check out the details here - http://www.bewleyscafetheatre.com/ its called A Tribute to the Ladies of Jazz.
    Also I'm on newstalk 106FM on Saturday morning, the weekend review show at 11am being interviewed and performing.
    (who is this by the way...pm me if I know you,I'm never able to guess people from their user names)

Was up for this last night and had arranged a small crowd to go. Had something to eat downstairs and made my way up at 8:15pm to find a 'sold out' sign on the door. Couldn't believe it! Hope it went well though.

Was up for this last night and had arranged a small crowd to go. Had something to eat downstairs and made my way up at 8:15pm to find a 'sold out' sign on the door. Couldn't believe it! Hope it went well though.

Hey Jaco,
    Only just saw this post now, sorry about that. Actually I was sold out for all three nights, which of course made me very happy! Sorry about that. If you keep an eye on my myspace (link in my sig) I'll be posting the next date soon enough.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to come along!!!
    Cheers,
    VV.

Advertisement