Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in UCD Faculty and Administration

Options
  • 31-03-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi, just have to get something off my chest:

I am absolutely sick and tired of repeated incidents of bigotry and racism in Belfield these days. I don't know why we bother learning about fascist regimes adn so forthw when we are living in one right now. It seems all we have n**ger this and p*ki that around this place. And its not students, only staff members. I have repeatedly seen students of minority ethnicities told to 'f**k off' by lecturers when asking a simple question at the end of class, while their caucasian colleagues are delt with in a reasonable and helpful manner. When will this all end? I know of at least 3 students who have dropped out of Arts because of this. Its not on and has to stop. I'm basically in tears while writing this because it affects me so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

That's a serious accusation. Can't say I've noticed it myself, but if it's true you should definitely follow it up. Look here for the formal complaints procedure:

http://www.ucd.ie/hr/html/manual/digresp.pdf

You would need to be a bit more specific in making a complaint though.

"I have repeatedly seen students of minority ethnicities told to 'f**k off' by lecturers"

I really can't believe there's anyone who would stand for that kind of treatment from a staff member in this day and age... Have they not complained themselves?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Are you fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the incident? Maybe the student had a history of asking downright stupid questions or wanted the work to be done for them, as opposed to the lecturer having a problem with a particular ethnic minority per se. You can only say the lecturer was a racist if presented with the exact same circumstances he treated the students differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'm 3 years here and I'm yet to encounter any racism of any sort. I've lecturers from the four corners of the globe and there are students of (at least) 3 different creeds in my class and we all coexist harmoniously. And this is one of the more conservative faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Haven't noticed any racism at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm going to leave this topic open, so that racism on campus can be discussed.
    I would like to thank the previous posters for their calmness and maturity, and I know it will continue (because otherwise its ban-city).
    A few points to ensure that this discussion continues in a polite manner:
    1. OP, calm down, you vented, thats nice, please post in a calmer and more rational manner from now on. No calling Ireland a facist paradise.

2. Do not even mention a particular school and accusations of racism in the same post.

3. If you name anyone as a racist, I will ban you, and I make no promises to let you back in.

4. If you notice that something really, really bad has been said in this thread (ie. this lecturer is a ....), then report the post, and PM me, so that I can get here immediately.

My instinct tells me to lock this, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Do not make me regret this decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Can't say I've seen it in 3 years. Last time I attempted to count there were students from 14 different countries in my class, of varying religious backgrounds and none. While I can't say all lecturers respect students, most do, and those that don't respect us disrespect us all equally :p Equally so, I have lecturers with names like Bill and others with names like Osama - I've never witnessed any kind of disrespect (apart from talking in lectures, which unfortunately goes on in nearly every lecture regardless of who is giving it).

But of course I can't speak for all of UCD, just my own experience. I don't think it's fair to brand UCD as a 'fascist regime' though. If you feel there is a serious problem then report it, as others have said, but make sure you have your facts right first.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

harsh but perhaps fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thank you to everyone who reported the posts, and took the time to PM me.

I tried to give the benefit of the doubt, and let you discuss your concerns in an adult fashion, but obviously some of you are incapable.
    I will not unban sripedpyjamas, if someone else wants to, then they are welcome to, but I will not. All I asked was that you obey the rules, and resist slander.

After what has happened to Politics.ie, I would think that people would be more restrained.

EDIT: Wrong name

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement