Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 signings I'd like to see

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

1. Craig Gordon
    2. Arteta
    3. Bentley

I'd be fairly confident they'd come if we agreed a fee with their clubs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

1. Craig Gordon
    2. Arteta
    3. Bentley

flying_pig.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

1. Craig Gordon
    2. Arteta
    3. Bentley

If your looking at them positions, I'll go for Boruc,Poulsen and Id take a gamble on McGeady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hatch99 wrote: »
    If your looking at them positions, I'll go for Boruc,Poulsen and Id take a gamble on McGeady.

Mcgeady is rubbish , Boruc would be a good signing . i'd go along with dublin spur , i think arteta and bentley should be the key summer signing that we target to go after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

BERBA wrote: »
    Mcgeady is rubbish , Boruc would be a good signing . i'd go along with dublin spur , i think arteta and bentley should be the key summer signing that we target to go after.

A bit harsh in saying McGeady is rubbish. I dont want to start the Scottish League debate but he's been very impressive over the last 18 months, and he's done well in the Champions League games too. He has a better end product than any of our current crop who play out wide. Bentley would be a good signing. I would'nt be too pushed on Arteta. I think its a g roberts type central player that we need ahead of a footballing type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Arteta would be a hardest to sign.
    Everton are about the same size as us with the same ambitions.
    Not sure he would see it as a big step up and they would hate to lose him.
    Having said that, nothing ventured nothing gained.
    I reckon the other 2 would come at the drop of a hat.
    Whether Ramos likes them or not is a different question altogether.

One thing's for sure, It's going to be another interesting summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Hatch99 wrote: »

Certainly wouldn't like McGeady to join, very over rated player, again along the lines on Lennon, inconsistant. I take your point about Champs League but has been pure rubbish for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

3 players aren't enough!! Give me a decent keeper, like this Lopez guy from Villareal we're supposedly interested in, then get Jarque, or another top notch centre half. Next has to be two to three good midfielders, starting with the likes of Lucho Gonzalez or Luca Modric, then Poulsen from Sevilla for the hard man role.

While I think Bentley is a decent player, I can't say I particularly like him. Arteta is class, but there's no chance he'd come to us - why would he? As mentioned Everton as around the same as us, have the same ambitions, and have a quality manager. Fair enough they don't have the spending power but I still think they're well up there. As for Gordon, hmmm, I think we could do better still. I reckon, particularly based on some of the shocking performances we've seen from some players over the last few weeks that the team needs another overhaul. If I'd paid money to go and see Spurs on Sunday I would have been fuming. Ramos' objective is to get higher in the league than Jol did, which I believe he can do, if he gets the right players.

Unfortunately I think the three listed, even if we got them, would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

1. Not convinced by Gordon, would much rather we raid our feeder club for Rob Green.

2. Arteta is a fantastic player, probably the best midfielder outside the top 4, but a move to us would be a sideways move TBH and he's working with a great manager at Everton. Might be tempted by the Spanish connection, but then he might like a move across Stanley Park if that's the case. Can only see Everton doing business for big money which is a con for me.

3. Like Bentley, but he's lacking pace for a Ramos team so I don't think he's a runner at all.

If I'm restricted to three I'd go for:

1. Green
    2. Poulen (great shout Hatch)
    3. Ashton (reckon it's all gonna go Pete Tong at the Boelyn in the not too distant future

I was also impressed by what I saw of Mathieu Bodmer at Lyon in a holding midfield role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I think we need a playmaker, and at the moment i'm not sure who'd fit that bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

That is what is needed now!!

I cant think of anyone i'd lose sleep over in midfield if they left - too many luxury types and not enough hard men.

Might be tempted to push up Hutton there - looks like he can take a hard tackle and give it. Butt should have gone yesterday for 2 tackles on him.

Danny Rose won Player of the Youth tournament in Germany - as did our GK from Sweden in that position.

Hey hope springs eternal!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

galinka wrote: »
    That is what is needed now!!
    Danny Rose won Player of the Youth tournament in Germany -
    Hey hope springs eternal!!!:D

Wouldn't be pinning my hopes on him. Heard recently that his long term future may not be at the Lane. Ramos has had a word with him, his parents and his agent. Shape up or ship out was the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

yiddo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be pinning my hopes on him. Heard recently that his long term future may not be at the Lane. Ramos has had a word with him, his parents and his agent. Shape up or ship out was the message.

More good news Pat!! He was quite near me on Sunday looks like another Lennon in appearance and physique.

Advertisement