Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel R8? Pah! A much faster petrol one is coming(has RS6 twin turbo V10 engine)!!!

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Yes, isn't it great news! A 580 bhp PETROL R8 will be the new range topper for the car. And the V10 is the twin turbo lump from the RS6.

And even better news is the return of a 5 pot Audi. Audi fans must be seriously excited at the thought of another 5 pot Audi. The memories of the ur-quattro and all that! I'm over the moon. I can't contain myself:D:D! Today is a brilliant day for Audi and cars in general!

The TT-RS will NOT happen, because of some VAG/Porsche rule, but fear not the only reason it won't happen is because of that. The car will be renamed, simple as that. Anyway, the "TT-RS" will have a 5 pot 2.5 340 bhp engine.

Story here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

which could give rise to a whole new moniker: Audi can only use it as a prefix, as in ‘RS6' - RSTT, as in, couldn't be aRSTT!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

E92 wrote: »
    Yes, isn't it great news! A 580 bhp PETROL R8 will be the new range topper for the car. And the V10 is the twin turbo lump from the RS6.

And even better news is the return of a 5 pot Audi. Audi fans must be seriously excited at the thought of another 5 pot Audi. The memories of the ur-quattro and all that! I'm over the moon. I can't contain myself:D:D! Today is a brilliant day for Audi and cars in general!

The TT-RS will NOT happen, because of some VAG/Porsche rule, but fear not the only reason it won't happen is because of that. The car will be renamed, simple as that. Anyway, the "TT-RS" will have a 5 pot 2.5 340 bhp engine.

Story here.

Apparently one of the names they are looking at is TTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

5 POT, like the Quattro of old!:) Still don't see your beef with the Diesel R8, I'm sure it'll be a rocket and might be a sign of things to come. Read a recent review of the rs6 and its supposed to be crazy, all dressed up in a subtle estate shape. I'd have one of them before the R8 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Am i missing something? ..whats so great about a 5 pot?

Surely a V6 , I6 would be nicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Am i missing something? ..whats so great about a 5 pot?

Surely a V6 , I6 would be nicer?
    A lot of it's nostalgia. That said, the Audi 5 cylinder is actually a much nicer engine than you'd think from the specifications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

5 cylinder engines make a superb sound, almost as good as a straight 6(very different sound though) but are more economical than a straight 6.

Stand behind a Volvo 850/S70 and you'll know what I'm on about. Audi's old 5 cylinder engines were superb sounding.

They would be a lot smoother than a 4 cylinder engine, and not far off a 6 cylinder engine for smoothness too. This article is fascinating and explains about why straight 6 engines are the smoothest engine this side of a V12, as well as how the different configurations affect smoothness etc.

There's also the nostalgia and the big history that goes with Audi and 5 cylinder engines. Audi were famous for their 5 pot engines, as famous as BMW are for sticking with the classical straight 6 even to this very day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    They would be a lot smoother than a 4 cylinder engine, and not far off a 6 cylinder engine for smoothness too.
    I don't really get this emphasis on smoothness. If I wanted smoothness above all else I'd get a Lexus LS. 130mph smooth without knocking over the champagne pyramid.

Of all the cars I've owned, my favourite vibrated *everything* when the engine was running. So much so that the satnav stuck to the windscreen was unusable. Smoothness = engine hiding itself.

OTOH, engine note, especially at idle is a product of induction and exhaust, not the number of cylinders. The sound of a 4-cyl Subaru 'boxer' engine is hard to beat.

Advertisement