Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clogherhead fishing at the moment?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:43pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I'm not big into sea fishing and don't know a lot about it, but did a bit of mackrel fishing in Clogherhead last summer. Thoroughly enjoyed it and had many a delicious dinner from it.

Just wondering if there is any fishing to be had there at the moment either spinning, float fishing or whatever. I'm open to suggestions and tips from any experts.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm not big into sea fishing and don't know a lot about it, but did a bit of mackrel fishing in Clogherhead last summer. Thoroughly enjoyed it and had many a delicious dinner from it.

Just wondering if there is any fishing to be had there at the moment either spinning, float fishing or whatever. I'm open to suggestions and tips from any experts.....

You certainly wont get mackerel there for another couple of months.You'd probably get the odd pollack or whiting if you fished on the bottom using ragworm and a three hook trace.Be advised though,casting out to sea from the pier is snaggy as hell,when the pier re-opened and people started losing gear the snags got bigger and bigger,its like the great barrier reef there now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Never actually fished from the pier itself - it was always like a Lidl showroom. How anyone fished there was beyond me with everyone standing shoulder to shoulder and kids running up and down behind them.
    I always fished form the big boulders over the wall and had plenty of fish. The bottom about 50/100 yards out from the boulders always seemed fairly flat to me - never got snagged until I got in closer.

Would you reckon thats the spot? What time of day or night or is anytime good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Never actually fished from the pier itself - it was always like a Lidl showroom. How anyone fished there was beyond me with everyone standing shoulder to shoulder and kids running up and down behind them.
    I always fished form the big boulders over the wall and had plenty of fish. The bottom about 50/100 yards out from the boulders always seemed fairly flat to me - never got snagged until I got in closer.

Would you reckon thats the spot? What time of day or night or is anytime good?

Te rocks are probably better allright.TBH you're not going toget much at this time of year,you'd be far better waiting a couple of months when the number of species improves.Also the weather is a bit on the poxyy side to be fishing from rocks,they'll be slippy and you could also get hit by a wave!

Degsy wrote: »
    Te rocks are probably better allright.TBH you're not going toget much at this time of year,you'd be far better waiting a couple of months when the number of species improves.Also the weather is a bit on the poxyy side to be fishing from rocks,they'll be slippy and you could also get hit by a wave!

Thanks - I'll stick to the trout & salmon for the time being!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

Degsy wrote: »

Hey Degsy,

I'm off to Clogherhead this Sunday, whats a good time to go at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Hi all,
    Iam a clogherhead local and fisherman(with a rod!) and its picking up with the fishing here. The mackeral could be in this weekend as the weather heads over 20*C. This time last year they arrived when the weather was nice and warm and the sea was calm and clear. Iv already seen birds diving out at sea and this is always a good thing to see. As for places to fish, the back of the harbour wall is good with pollock, mullet, whiting, sea scorpion and plenty of room but no place for kids. And as for snags on the harbour, where?? Around the head on the rocks is good if you know where to fish, but if you dont you will lose tackle. If you after flatties and bass the strands are great places for a bit of beach casting with flatties being caught in good numbers since march, but i hav'nt seen any silver yet!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

what is the fishing like now ? are there any mackerek in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

robinwing wrote: »
    what is the fishing like now ? are there any mackerek in ?

Not a hint of any! Even guys fishing from boats are not getting any - as of this morning.

Clogherhead has been woeful for the past few years. Apart from the bloody seals I think it's been either fished out or the fish have found somewhere nicer....

Clogherhead has been woeful for the past few years. Apart from the bloody seals I think it's been either fished out or the fish have found somewhere nicer....

The new pier causes them to bypass the port more. They used to follow the old Pierline closely. The seals are dreadful at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Thanks for all the information everybody who replied , guess I'll have to try further up the coast , I have a teenager who is mad into fishing !

The new pier causes them to bypass the port more. They used to follow the old Pierline closely.

You'd imagine you'd still get a few close to the rocks to the south of the pier but the rocks have been woeful too. Something has changed because it used to be a great spot once they showed.

You'd imagine you'd still get a few close to the rocks to the south of the pier but the rocks have been woeful too. Something has changed because it used to be a great spot once they showed.

But they haven't shown yet. Last year was actually quite good at Clogherhead - that said who finds any enjoyment in fishing when cheek to jowl with bashers all along the pier and rocks.

Advertisement