Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick new tax law and vrt question

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I haven't found a definitive answer to this so here goes....
    I'm in the market for a new car and I'm looking at one that has been imported from the uk. The guy that's selling it tells me that there was a backtrack on the new tax laws due in July and that if I register it before then, the new tax rates will apply after july...it's a 2 litre diesel (2005) and is in pristine condition.

Question is; is he talking out of his ar$e?

Help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I had a similar question a few days ago ... this thread should give you an answer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭smokingman

Cheers Gandalf, much appreciated - and funny enough, it is a 320 Beemer...
    Trouble is, I want this car now and I don't know if the buyer is going to wait 'til after July to sell it to me - could I just drive it around until July and then register it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

smokingman wrote: »
    Cheers Gandalf, much appreciated - and funny enough, it is a 320 Beemer...
    Trouble is, I want this car now and I don't know if the buyer is going to wait 'til after July to sell it to me - could I just drive it around until July and then register it? ;)

Not sure about that ... I think you have to reg the car with Irish Revenue within 24 hours of bringing it into Ireland ... have a read of this thread (if you have time, and well worth the effort if importing).

Other than that I'd say dont rush ... there are always lots and lots and lots of really good BMW's available in the UK.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Other than that I'd say dont rush ... there are always lots and lots and lots of really good BMW's available in the UK.

...did I mention it has a little multicoloured M badge....you can probably understand my impatience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

smokingman wrote: »
    ...did I mention it has a little multicoloured M badge....you can probably understand my impatience ;)
    Why not just put an M badge on your current car while you're waiting?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I was under the impression that for imported cars the new Tax system by emissions does not apply. You will still be paying tax on a engine cc based system rather than a emissions based one.
    However the VRT laws will only apply from july onwards and cannot be backdated. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was under the impression that for imported cars the new Tax system by emissions does not apply. You will still be paying tax on a engine cc based system rather than a emissions based one.

Correct.

So, OP, there's absolutely no point whatsoever in waiting for July, you'll be paying the same annual road tax.

So, just buy and drive it !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

He's talking out of his hole, basically on pre 2008 motors the only thing that will change in July is the VRT rate which will be based on CO2 emissions and not CC.

I was looking into a 2003 320D myself, I priced the VRT on it now which is 30% OMSP but in July it would be at a 20% rate which was a saving of about €1800 on the one I was looking at. As the road tax isn't going to change (boo hisss), I would wait ti July if I was you, probably looking at a 3k or so saving on a 2005 model I'd imagine.

Well one way or another, I won't be tempted any more.
    While it was an absolute beauty, in great shape and crazy fast off the line, it was advertised at 52,000 miles on the clock.....which was magically transformed to 93,000 miles when I saw it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yep, run a mile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement