Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Min. & optimum spec for insulation and renewable energy.

• 31-03-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭

Right guys, I’ve been meaning to post this for a while now but only getting round to it now. Over the last couple of months I have had several PMs from users wanting to know in plain English what was the best or the minimum amount of insulation they will get away with in order to comply with the revised Part L and also the min. or cheapest way to comply with the alternative energy regs. Most of the enquiries I had were in relation to concrete block cavity walls with a couple asking about floors and attics.

We all have our own preferred methods and products but what I would like to see posted up here is a minimum spec. for a standard house with 300 – 320mm cavity wall. (ie. 2 x 100 block leafs + 100 – 120mm cavity), concrete ground floors, concrete or timber first floors and attic. The other thing is that there is no point in stating terms like “PU”, “EPS” or “UFH” etc as a lot of people don’t understand the abbreviations and are afraid to ask. There’s no problem with naming manufacturers and their products in this thread (unless we find a shill). Perhaps a minimum spec and optimum spec could both be given. If this gets a good response we may consider making it a sticky for reference.

That’s it – the race is on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

muffler wrote: »
    There’s no problem with naming manufacturers and their products in this thread

Ok -( I don't work for them ) Kingspan have issued a very handy "ready reckoner" called

Futureproof Solutions Your guide to BER

Its about 1/2 a4 size booklet with diagrams and specifications . Must usefull is a "turnwheel" to the rear . you want a C rated house - turn to C read the specs - you want an A rated house , turn the wheel ..... you get the idea

NB
    - this is Kingspan materials
    - this relates to but is not the same thing as compliance with building regulations

to devise a "road map" towards compliance download this

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,15662,en.pdf

look to the LAST 2 pages - see which building type most closely matches yours and target u values stated there

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as an addendum to SBs post.

The kingspan booklet includes the very important caveat that

"as the rating achieved will vary depending on the shape and size of the dwelling along with other specification options, they are indicative only and not to be taken as a final specification"

Advertisement