Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film of the week

Options
  • 31-03-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Hey, since posts about this are being locked on the film forum i wanted to ask a few questions about it because something does not make sense to me.

Now in another locked topic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55448669&postcount=92

Karl (Film Mod) says why he stopped film of the week. He mentions people using different accounts, more than 1 account. But i checked that page that lists all sitewide bans. And i didnt see much. He said people meaning more than 1 person had more than 1 account. I dont know why but this has got me thinking that these users have not had all there accounts banned?

That is what happens for multi accounts isent it? I was wondering are only some people banned for having multi accounts but others would not be? i was just wondering if any of the more well known posters had multi accounts thats all.

anyway as for FOTW im not very technical when it comes to software and as pointed out in other threads if people really want to mess arround they can go through proxys or whatever so ending FOTW seems like the best way because it is pointless having it if there is cheating.

Im still interested to know what users where "cheating" and if there where perm site wide banned or even just perm film banned.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

User45701 wrote: »
    Karl (Film Mod) says why he stopped film of the week. He mentions people using different accounts, more than 1 account. But i checked that page that lists all sitewide bans. And i didnt see much. He said people meaning more than 1 person had more than 1 account. I dont know why but this has got me thinking that these users have not had all there accounts banned?

You assume that I pressed for these accounts to be banned. I didn't. Quite frankly, any repercussions these users have to face, is between me and them. We're not having a public flogging here.
    Im still interested to know what users where "cheating" and if there where perm site wide banned or even just perm film banned.

You see, I'm not going to mention names. And I don't care if you want to know, it's not your place to know. Yourself, and others are already seemingly baying for blood, and there's already accusations been flying that it was the Star Wars fans who've been using multiple accounts in one thread.

It's just going to open up abuse for those members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

don't they deserve abuse?

I have to agree with the demise of the FotW. It was a good idea which went well for awhile but quickly went off the rails. People going in and launching campaigns to get certain films voted in week after week and then not bothering to post in the winning thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

RIP FotW. It was abused so it was shut down. No ones fault but the abusers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I enjoyed film of the week. Thanks to it, I watched a great many movies I would have otherwise never seen. Its a shame its gone, but like all good things, it was bound to be crushed to ash by unthinking morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

You assume that I pressed for these accounts to be banned. I didn't. Quite frankly, any repercussions these users have to face, is between me and them. We're not having a public flogging here.

Sorry i didnt know that. I thought boards rules where rules, not at each MOD's discression.

You see, I'm not going to mention names. And I don't care if you want to know, it's not your place to know. Yourself, and others are already seemingly baying for blood, and there's already accusations been flying that it was the Star Wars fans who've been using multiple accounts in one thread.

It's just going to open up abuse for those members.

I have not seen any of those threads. I just came to work today and no FOTW Cid at the weekend you know bit of lost time and all.

But all this baying for blood is not what i am talking about. Im interested to know if it was well known names in boards and if it was only a few "newbs" doing it if they would have been banned.
    You see, I'm not going to mention names. And I don't care if you want to know, it's not your place to know..

What?
    Seems like a attitude problem to me but i know my own manurasims can be misconstrued by others.

Still i contributed to that thread allot and its not a very nice thing to say that its not my place to know, very agressive or something. You have treated this thread like an attack on you, like you do all threads ralated to Film moderation.

This thread was created here because it would have been locked in your forum and i wanted to know what the story was.
    Boston wrote: »
    I enjoyed file of the week. Thanks to it, I watched a great many movies I would have otherwise never seen. Its a shame its gone, but like all good things, it was bound to be crushed to ash by unthinking morons.

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Is there any reason why someone else cant start a new Film of the week thread. eg "Post your movie reccomendations".

What?
    Seems like a attitude problem to me but i know my own manurasims can be misconstrued by others.

Still i contributed to that thread allot and its not a very nice thing to say that its not my place to know, very agressive or something. You have treated this thread like an attack on you, like you do all threads ralated to Film moderation.

This thread was created here because it would have been locked in your forum and i wanted to know what the story was.

Sorry if that seemed agressive or standoff-ish, that wasn't what I mean by being short with you. I'm not treating this as an attack either.

I'll take a little more time to try and explain the situation better. Multiple accounts really only get a user sitebanned if such accounts are used to circumvent forum bans. This is a fairly new situation we have here, and it's a tough one. FotW has been considerably problematic before, and this just adds to it greatly, so I've felt that for all the trouble it's been causing that it would be best to put a stop to it.

Yes, you say you want to know what the story was, but it does seem like you want names named, and I'm not prepard to give out names.

As I've said before, Film of the Week could very probably return, but in a different incarnation. Some people have given some excellent suggestions about how it should be run, and I'm certainly giving it consideration, but for the time being tempers are running too hot. I think it's best if FotW stays closed untill the heat is off, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ah again its me not knowing boards rules. i thought more than 1 account = ban. I really dont want names named i just wanted to know if there is some sort of double standard on boards where one or more of the bigger names where the offenders because if it was nonames/miscs/new people (no offensive to anyone) i would have expected them to be banned.

So new FOTW suggestions PM them to you or will you start a thread for suggestions in a month or two?

EDIT: I suppose you would have the same problem with using the thank this poster option although it qwould make it easyier for you to count the votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭netopia789

27 what is than my sister whant to see it tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Personally I think one of the problems with FOTW was that the film that came second the week before nearly always won it the next week. Personally, I think the 2nd place film should be taboo for a week or two

So new FOTW suggestions PM them to you or will you start a thread for suggestions in a month or two?

I'll probably start a thread somewhere down the line, a few months probably.

If you're still demanding to know who's been messing with the votes, a couple of people have had multiple accounts sitebanned after I bought it up with the higher ups, so you can take a look at the banlist.

Advertisement