Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Pine Filler Do You Use?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have a nice piece of pine that I want to use in my next project. It has a nice grain similar to another piece that I have and I would like to join the boards.

But there is a drilled hole in the middle of one of the boards (I didn't drill it). What fillers would you use for pine? Does it stand out after varnishing or would I be better to get new lumber?

This will be a project that will eventually sit in the hall.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It depends on the size of the drill hole. I would mark and cut the wood for the project and then use waste to either turn a dowel or route a 5 or 6mm deep square around the drill hole,then use some waste to try and match the grain.
    Either option won't give perfect results. Another option would be to use a completly different wood for contrast in the square, that would work if you positioned the drill hole in the centre of the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 turnertina

Hi D,
    You can get a plug cutter in any hardware or D.I.Y. store. It is like a drill bit and it is used in a drill. It will cut out plugs of wood in a perfect circle and the beauty of it is that the grain direction will match the long grain of your piece of pine. If you used a piece of dowel, the endgrain would show up in your piece, the plug is less noticible, especially if you use an offcut of the pine you are using!
    Hope this helps!
    Jac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

All good suggestions, for smaller holes I think it's hard to beat Plastic Wood- it's handy, sand well and durable.

Advertisement