Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Light fitting but no earth connection available

• 31-03-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to install a new light fitting. When I took the old light fitting off I see 3 wires, 1 brown and 2 blue wires. In the old fitting the 2 blue wires are going into the neutral connection and the brown into the live.

Is this a normal approach and should i just do the same to install the new fitting. Also, since there is no earth connection is it safe to install light fittings made of metal ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

babel wrote: »
    Hi,
    When I took the old light fitting off I see 3 wires, 1 brown and 2 blue wires. In the old fitting the 2 blue wires are going into the neutral connection and the brown into the live.

Yeh the neutral is just looping along to any other lights in the area, the brown is coming from the switch, just connect it up the same way. Ensuring the supply is turned off first, of course! In fact, check before hand with a meter if possible.

As for the earth, I'm not sure of the regulations on metal light fittings. Is the fitting attached to the ceiling or is it a chandlier type that hangs down within arms reach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As for the earth, I'm not sure of the regulations on metal light fittings. Is the fitting attached to the ceiling or is it a chandlier type that hangs down within arms reach?

I'm open to correction on this, but i believe a light fitting is just like an appliance, it needs to be "doubly insulated" if its made of metal, this means there is always 2 layers of insulation between the conductors and the metal housing...

You can get doubly insulated metal light fittings that do not have any earth connection on them.

Its a big problem with older houses, i can't count the amount of times that family / friends have asked me to put up light fittings for them, and when i look at the fitting it needs an earth... if they haven't bought the fitting i would always tell them to buy a doubly insulated one...

If it needs an earth, i personally would always put an earth on it. I'd like to know what the others on the board here would do, i've a feeling some people would just leave it without one, which is a bit risky...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If you can touch the metal while standing on the ground easily I would always earth it myself. There are some fittings which are glorified brass connection boxes, and just attach to the ceiling and so wouldn't be in arms reach in that case, if there wasn't an earth available in this case, I'd have consider the economics of the situation :D.
    Its a big problem with older houses, i can't count the amount of times that family / friends have asked me to put up light fittings for them, and when i look at the fitting it needs an earth... if they haven't bought the fitting i would always tell them to buy a doubly insulated one...

Yes this is very frustrating as it's a big job finding an earth if there isn't one around, yet you don't want to take any risks either. It's far more of a concern for brass switches in old houses with no earth brought down with the switch wire, it is essential these are earthed, as obviously they're going to come in frequent contact with people's (sometimes wet) hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is a new house (about 4 years old), I cant believe they dont provide an earth connection. The light fitting I am trying to hang is made of metal and is a chandelier type and the instructions say it requires an earth (I take it this means it is not double insulated). It is high up enough to not get touched from the groud but I may bering it back and exchange it for one that is double insulated (for piece of mind).

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ummm not sure where to start with this one....
    Earth is ground
    Yep that's correct ;)
    Light is power for the light if there is no light then leave unhooked.
    That doesn't make any sense :confused:
    from the ceiling a black is power white is neutral
    Only in the US/Canada ;)
    and I think its safe.
    No comment on this one :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi,

I am trying to install a new light fitting. When I took the old light fitting off I see 3 wires, 1 brown and 2 blue wires. In the old fitting the 2 blue wires are going into the neutral connection and the brown into the live.

Is this a normal approach and should i just do the same to install the new fitting. Also, since there is no earth connection is it safe to install light fittings made of metal ?

Thanks

If its a metal light fitting, it needs an earth end of story, try picking one up from somewhere else, or even better a clean one right back to the fuse board.

My advice is that you need to get your wiring checked out by a qualified electrician to see if it's all up to current spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is a new house (about 4 years old), I cant believe they dont provide an earth connection. The light fitting I am trying to hang is made of metal and is a chandelier type and the instructions say it requires an earth (I take it this means it is not double insulated). It is high up enough to not get touched from the groud but I may bering it back and exchange it for one that is double insulated (for piece of mind).

Thanks again

For a 4yr old house I would have assumed that an earth would be there.
    I cannot understand how a cert was passed without an earth at the light fittings
    Doublecheck to see if the earth has been pushed up into the ceiling!

Advertisement