Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is POA (price on application) driving anyone else mad?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I've just spent the last hour looking through Daft and Irish Property News at houses for sale. I can't get over how many properties have POA instead of a price. It is very frustrating. I tend to glance over properties that have this on them because i can't be arsed going through the email rigmorole and I'm sure I'm not alone.
    Why are there so many properties with this? Is it an attempt by ill-advising agents to cover up major drops? I don't think it is doing the sellers any favours. Opinions anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Is it an attempt by ill-advising agents to cover up major drops?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

caoibhin wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    It really isn't doing the sellers any favours though is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

No, but most sellers will follow the advice of the agents even though the estate agents only have their own interest in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They probably want to say "but look how many enquiries we're getting" which is a pile of crap really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It tends to happen more in country areas than in the cities. It is very rare in Dublin,almost universal in the West. I wouldn't think the state of the market is the dominant reason for it. In country areas the market always tends to be slower and it is more difficult to value accurately as there are fewer comparators.
    The onus shifts to the purchaser to indicate a bid at the outset. This means local knowledge is vital for the purchaser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Another reason, not just in property, is that it creates a veneer of exclusivity.

Top class cars (Aston Martin, Ferrari etc) will very rarely advertise the price, on the basis that "if price is an issue, you can't afford it" or some other marketing ploy.

So while a massive site or a period home in the embassy belt might genuinely be an exclusive property, if you see a 3 bed semi in a new development 10k from the M50, the real rule is POA means "you don't want this turkey".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

POA = I ignore, not like there's a shortage of choice out there.
    Waste of money advertising POA unless it really is a trophy place where price is no object..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

it makes sense for some business opportunity or some exclusive site but complete waste of money and time for routine home/ residential property.
    No one bothers to call them or drop an email.
    Another futile attempt of EA.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I've been looking on daft at properties in Longford (to while away the wee hours) and if you look at places like Keenagh, Ballymahon and Lanesborough, where there has been massive development in what were previously small towns, at least half of the houses are POA.

And these are all box cut 3/4 bed houses of the thoughtless commuterbelt development kind.

I wonder who is going to buy up the 130 properties for sale in Ballymahon (only a 2 hour commute to Dublin)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Just ignore them.
    I couldnt be arsed asking.
    If i dont see the price when im looking im not interested.
    Same for cars etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement