Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gonna get a diesel in July

Options
  • 31-03-2008 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Looking at a 2004 or 2005 model, with an Isuzu 1.7 TD. Really dirty yoke too, it's not even Euro IV. I pity all the fsckers driving behind me.

However there is light at the end of the tunnel for all my passive smoking fellow motorists. I plan on using a bit of SVO or biodiesel. In fact I'd like to use as little benson & hedges diesel as possible. So... what I'd like to know is has anyone any comments to make about this engine, and in particular using it on veg oil or biodiesel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Trust me - in a 1.7 TD ... there'll be nobdy behind you - they'll all be infront! :D

Very rough and agricultural engines i heard, very noisy too . - The complete opposite to hondas own diesel engines.

Will it be a honda civic with an isuzu engine you'll be going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Looking at a 2004 or 2005 model, with an Isuzu 1.7 TD. Really dirty yoke too, it's not even Euro IV. I pity all the fsckers driving behind me.

However there is light at the end of the tunnel for all my passive smoking fellow motorists. I plan on using a bit of SVO or biodiesel. In fact I'd like to use as little benson & hedges diesel as possible. So... what I'd like to know is has anyone any comments to make about this engine, and in particular using it on veg oil or biodiesel?

2005? Common rail therefore forget biodiesel or SVO.

I would have thought the only thing you would use a diesel for is target practice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Check the type of injector pump, they came with both bosch and lucas, the bosch one is the one to go for, Lucas doesn't like veg oil without major modification that requires a full stripdown. The problem with that vintage bosch pump is that it will probably have electronic control, this is pretty rudamentary, it's just a linear actuator that moves a sleeve which controls the proportion of diesel that's sent to the injector v's what's sent to the return line. Diesel acts to lubricate the rotor in the pump but the problem arises under breaking conditions when it cuts the fuel supply completely which starves the rotor of lubricant, the residual diesel under nornal conditions will wick around the rotor to provide lubrication but the higher viscosity veggie oil will not get around the rotor without the applied pressure of the piston. There are a few possible solutions, one is to hack the firmware controlling the actuator and the other is to put a mechanical stop in somewhere to prevent the sleeve cutting off the fuel supply completely or finally you could put a small hole in the side of the sleeve so some fuel always gets through.
    Whatever solution you go for, you'll need to preheat the veg oil using an inline heater on the fuel line and/or a heater in the tank. These can be heat exchangers with coolant running through them in whcih case you'll need a second smaller tank for regular diesel for the start up and shut down or alternatively they could be electrical which could potentially work on a single tank. If you want to do the best job possible, get an elsbett kit.

edit... all this assumes it's not common rail, if it is, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All the Civic diesels with that engine are common rail afaik. You'll have to get yourself an Astra or a Vectra so :D

And it will need to be much older than 2004/2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

unkel wrote: »
    All the Civic diesels with that engine are common rail afaik. You'll have to get yourself an Astra or a Vectra so :D

And it will need to be much older than 2004/2005

Yeah, the EP2 1.7 CTDi Civic, is common rail. You'll need to go back further and get yourself the 6th gen 5 door 2.0 diesel to stick with Honda. Or you could just bite the bullet and get a flexifuel Ford Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Didn't Opel still have a non common rail 1.7 diesel back then for the Corsa, using that Isuzu engine? The 1.7 DTI or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mmmm.

Modern 1.7 Isuzu is common rail, but two things:
    a) there are conversion kits available.
    b) I also reckon it's possible to run veg oil in a common rail without a conversion.. This guy is running filtered chip fat in his Opel Meriva 1.7 TD.

Seems to me that there are a lot of half truths out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JHMEG wrote: »
    Mmmm.

Modern 1.7 Isuzu is common rail, but two things:
    a) there are conversion kits available.
    b) I also reckon it's possible to run veg oil in a common rail without a conversion.. This guy is running filtered chip fat in his Opel Meriva 1.7 TD.

Seems to me that there are a lot of half truths out there.

You're brave man. You'll need a twin tank setup at the very least. Keep us posted on your exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

E92 wrote: »
    Didn't Opel still have a non common rail 1.7 diesel back then for the Corsa, using that Isuzu engine? The 1.7 DTI or something like that?

Yep, same engine was used all over the opel/Vaux range in the mid 90's, think it even carried over to the 97/98 model vectra. Was used in the Astra, Astravan, and vectra B as far as I know. I also know those engines were able to put up a lot of milage without much hassel.

Advertisement