Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom. Yes or No?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Ive Been with BT now for almost a full year, I have been doing their bundle deal, 3mb line and phone for 50 Quid a month.

However I recently noticed Smart telecoms offer of a 4mb line and phone, with no contention ratio for 40 Quid.

Ive read through what posts I was able to locate about them and Ive gotten very mixed feed back.

I realise im asking for more of the same but what should I be looking for/ out for?

Is it worth the swap?

What questions should I be asking to make sure that im not going to get less for my moneys worth?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stephen87 wrote: »
    Ive read through what posts I was able to locate about them and Ive gotten very mixed feed back.
    How mixed? The overwhelming vote on these boards and among Smart subscribers is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

spurious wrote: »
    How mixed? The overwhelming vote on these boards and among Smart subscribers is yes.

That's the opinion I got from the Smart subscribers - if you're in a Smart area then yes, they're great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Seriously point us to a few mixed opinions, The opinion on smart on these boards is overwhelming good, The only thing people seem to give out about is their roll out plans and the fact that they can't get them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can get it you'd be stupid not to go for it in my view ;)

Most of the problems people experience with Smart are often down to the migration from Eircom to Smart, alot of the time Eircom appear to make that difficult for some users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Go for it, definitely worth it.

When you cancel your BT broadband you may find that BT will "loose" your request to cancel line and broadband services with them. This will hold up your Smart order as eircom won't unbundle a line with DSL on it from another provider.

It's well worth doing though, especially if you're a heavy downloader, as BT are now limiting people who break the cap. If you have some spare cash and want zero down time, you could get eircom to install a 2nd line (€120) and get Smart on that. Took 3 weeks from ordering the line off eircom to having Smart active on it for me. Then I canceled BT, paid my 30 days notice, canceled the direct debit and am still waiting (3 months later) for them to actually cease line services on the old line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Just be prepared or a few weeks without broadband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes - If you can get it
    No - Most people can't get it and they're not bothering with a rollout!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, Unless you are getting the SmartVision service (fibre to some developments with TV) which is down right awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

admol wrote: »
    Just be prepared or a few weeks without broadband :)

Should not be the case any more - GLUMP took care of most of that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Like the man from Del Monte before me, I say 'yes'.

Gonna switch as soon as I can get it organised. Already rang smart today, just need to get the details sorted out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

I'd say go for it but dont cancel BT for a while. Ordered mine 7th Feb last year, was installed on the 27th October! :eek:

Speed is top notch and with no download limit ur sorted! :)

Advertisement