Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Permission when Have a Home already

• 31-03-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Recently got a few quotes to extend existing dwelling - extension is quite complex due to the current roof structure. It is however badly needed due to family size. The quotes we got are very much on the high side, so much so that it would be much more economically viable to build a new home...

Like I said, we already have an existing home so I assume that it will be next to impossible to get planning to build another house in the same county?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Not being smart but it must be one very big complex extension.

new house build and purchase site you will be looking at min of €300,000 id say! I know this does not answer your question but there are surely other options with the extension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

hard to say without knowing all details

perhaps the scheme will be more buildable if you demolish more than you originally imagined

sometimes the cost of safely retaining part of a structure being extended / refurbed can exceed to cost to knock and replace it

have a word with the contractor who most appealed to you - he may well be able to foresee the best way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tbv_008

jollyman,

It is quite a complex extension - the bulk of the work is in the roof. Basically, due to the type of roof - looks like it would nearly be cheaper to remove the roof and replace with a pre-fabricated one than to try and strengthen the existing one.

Not saying it would be cheaper to build again but economically, looking at what it would take to extend (plus the initial price of the house), it would make more sense economically to build again.

Looking to go up into the attic and add some space at the rear of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My brother had a house that was in his opinion too small for his increasing family, he applied for permission and was refused on the basis he had no housing need, a local councillor was put on the case he re-applied and he got planning. Depends on a lot of things, housing need is a required but some council's are more strict than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tbv_008

Cheers Villain...

Can I ask if he had to do the whole sell his home, rent, build thing or if he was able to hold onto his original home.. I have somewhere to build but like I said, housing needs could be the problem for us..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

tbv_008 wrote: »
    Cheers Villain...

Can I ask if he had to do the whole sell his home, rent, build thing or if he was able to hold onto his original home.. I have somewhere to build but like I said, housing needs could be the problem for us..

He sold and re-rented his own house while his new house was been constructed, contact local councillor and see what they say, they usually have a good grasp on things and with Local elections coming up they should be eager to help.

Advertisement