Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Belgium - How?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help? I'm taking part in the Tour of Flanders Sportive this weekend and have my flights booked to Brussels - out Friday morning, back Sunday evening. Even though I booked the flights weeks ago I have only just found out that there is a limit to the number of bikes Aer Lingus will carry (max 6). When I rang to check I discovered that there are already 6 bikes booked and they won't allow mine. If all else fails I can hire a road bike over there but as all of you will appreciate you really need your own bike for an event like this. Does anyone know of a courier service that would take a bike to Belgium for a reasonable fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This might be short notice but perhaps sending it by train?
    Give them a ring on http://www.irishrail.ie/our_services/fastrack_services.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You could try DHL or UPS? You could probably get it sent to your hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What if it were to look more like say a box than a bike? Any way you could pack it in such a way as it's not obviously a bike? Just a thought. UPS/DHL will be pretty damn expensive. I wanted to send an A4 envelope to the USA. 74 euro I was quoted!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thanks for the advice folks. I checked with some of the courier companies - way too expensive. Kenmc - great idea, I have since contacted Aer Lingus and met a very helpful lady who suggested exactly the same thing, as she said if it was a surf board or golf clubs there would be no problem. So the trick now is to diguise my bike as something less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

michaelm wrote: »
    she said if it was a surf board or golf clubs there would be no problem. So the trick now is to diguise my bike as something less obvious.

Easy then, just cut the frame into lengths and pretend it's a driver :)

• Advertisement

Now this could make an interesting discussion - what else could I disguise my bike as?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are pally with a bike shop that dispatches such things I'd ask them for help- they probably have a good idea and can get a lower than retail rate from the couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

if you have the time at the other end to reassmble it, you could take the front fork out also, would make it much smaller. If you could get the cranks and read mech off too it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah but you dont want them throwing all the rest of the luggage on your bike which could happen if they think it is just some box.

ask aer lingus will they put it on an earlier flight and hold it for you. You have the same right as other customers to have your bike on board so I would kick up some dirt on this one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Rent a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't try kicking up any stink with Aer Lingus; I travel often enough with a bike and they are quite straightforward about their being a limit and it being first come, first served. Generally there is no problem but unfortunately I suspect there are six other people doing the Tour of Flanders on your flight.

There is always a chance that they will take it anyway if you turn up with the bike at the airport (you would want to have yourself set to rent and someone with you at the airport who could take it home if not though.)

There is also a Ryanair flight to Charleroi that morning which is still reasonably cheap (€35.) You could check that one and dump Aer Lingus for the outgoing leg (you would have to make sure this would not cancel your return flight however.) Ryanair let you book the bike online as part of the reservation process, before you pay.

Good luck with the ride when you get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

biko wrote: »
    This might be short notice but perhaps sending it by train?
    Give them a ring on http://www.irishrail.ie/our_services/fastrack_services.asp

does the train to belgium go from Connolly or Heuston?;)

Thanks for all the advice folks - and good point Blorg - I've changed my plans again and decided to err on the side of caution and book with Ryanair to Charleroi also, the flight leaves just over an hour after the Aer Lingus one.

Advertisement