Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South america advice needed

• 31-03-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey guys..

Thinkin of doing a TEFL course this summer (to teach English as foreign language) and am trying to pick which country id like to go to. For some reason South America is drawing me in.

Has anyone ever spent some time here and if so where?

Ive never been before so have no idea where id like to go and was wondering if any1 had any stories detailing good or bad experiences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've never done it myself but met people who were over in various parts of south America doing what you are talking about. From listening to them it seems that it is expensive to do the course over there and that a lot of the courses are not that widely known. As in they are not recognized to an accredited standard. You could try searching for TEFL in the south American branch of the thorn tree forum as i'm speaking from vague memories.

But i know from experience that it is difficult to find work teaching English in certain parts. As the ones who can afford English lessons usually go to the US or Europe. The pay is also very low if you are planning on volunteering. You'd be lucky to get 4 dollars an hour. Knowing Spanish is also an advantage in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smythy1987

wow sounds encouraging.. haha

Im really at a loss as to what to do this year coming.. If you remember i posted the thread about a "year out in the states".. Im loving the idea of getting out there and doing something new..

Il not give up on the TEFL idea just yet though.. Seems like a class adventure.. I was wondering if i do the course here in Ireland will it be recognised abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'm sure you can find a recognized TEFL course in South America. It's just a matter of doing a bit of research. Check out the link below.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/search.jspa?threadID=&q=TEFL+courses&objID=f22&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=30&rankBy=10001

If you are open to Asia you can always try there where the TEFl courses are cheaper, in more demand and they also pay good.

Or just go down the English course in South America or a Spanish course and then travel for a bit. If you have a year to play with you might as well do something. And i'd recommend South America to anyone. Or central America for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smythy1987

Thanks again

That link was interesting and opened up my eyes to some of the realities of what im facing.. Maybe asia would be good idea to save money for a a while and then travel SA and CA at another stage with savings..

Advertisement