Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE Issues with website

Options
  • 31-03-2008 5:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Hoping someone can help solve a problem with one of our projects. We have developed a site for a local hotel, but it Internet Explorer versions below v6 the site does not display correctly. I have screen shots of how it displays in v5.5 and also v5.1. (see attached).

The website is up on our development side: http://wmh.xc-host.com.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I know it's not terribly helpful, but less than 0.2% of boards.ie users use IE 5.5 and below, and that's probably with a margin of error of 0.2% on the belhalf of Google Analytics.

I would submit that putting any effort into fixing it is a waste of resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lets presume for the purposes of this thread that IE5 is a requirement for the project unless told otherwise. It may be a pain, but we don't know the required specifications - there could be internal uses for the site as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

0.2%, that's surprising.

Is that problem something to do with the centering? Are you using text-align:center and margin:0 auto? Or am I wrong?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lets presume for the purposes of this thread that IE5 is a requirement for the project unless told otherwise.

Its not a requirement, but would still like to have it fixed if possible. I know the odds of people using it are very low but all the same, it would be nice to get it working if at all possible.

Thanks for your contribution though CuLT:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gordon wrote: »
    0.2%, that's surprising.

Is that problem something to do with the centering? Are you using text-align:center and margin:0 auto? Or am I wrong?
    #main{
    width: 776px;
    margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    padding: 40px;
    min-height: 47%;
    height: auto;
    position: relative;
    }

If thats of any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you tried dropping in a text-align:center and see if that makes any headway? Or is the problem that the availability menu doesn't appear?

Gordon wrote: »
    Have you tried dropping in a text-align:center and see if that makes any headway? Or is the problem that the availability menu doesn't appear?

The white area is a div... it shouldn't be possible for the content to be outside it.

Quick search appears on 5.5 just not v5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

The more you work on trying to fix this, the more it eats in to your profits on this project. Seriously, why bother fixing something for a practically dead browser. You'll tear your hair out in the process. I commend you for trying but if you are doing this for every website you do, you're going to waste a hell of a lot of time IMO - not great business practice. I know we love things to be 100% perfect but you have to balance off profit for realism :)

My browser check is IE6, IE7, FF (pc + mac), Opera (pc + mac), Safari (pc + mac). There's enough work there without having to fix for IE5.*. It's like the 800x600 resolution ongoing discussion... go with the majority and for this site, I'd say

"less than IE6" = 0.001%

and that 0.001% is probably you testing it with browsershots :)

Best of luck anyway!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I wouldnt test under v5 but I felt it wasnt that old... but I agree, no point testing something which hardly anyone uses.

Thanks.

Advertisement