Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French document advice - which one?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about my french document. I have two ideas but they both have their attached risks...

One is a photograph of the first night of U2 Croke Park, 2005, which I went to. I could probably say a lot about that, and music is my biggest passion by far, and U2 my favorite band. The catch is that pastimes are an area you're fairly likely to be asked about anyway, so I could be leaving myself with a document which simply replaces a question I would have been asked without it.

The second idea is a photograph of me holding a megaphone at one of Dun Laoghaire's "Save Our Seafront" marches a few years ago (the whole row about building an apartment block next to Dun Laoghaire pier and all that). On the plus side, it's completely unique - I can guarantee no one else will have a document like it and it's something I wouldn't get asked about without suggesting it. On the negative side, it could potentially lead into a generalpolitics question - something I REALLY hope to avoid in my oral - and having just explained about the marches and my part in them, I can hardly use the classic "Politics don't interest me, but I do like..." excuse, can I? Unless I want to look like a complete idiot that is...

Anyone have any advise? Which one would be better, or should I do something completely different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

The catch is that pastimes are an area you're fairly likely to be asked about anyway, so I could be leaving myself with a document which simply replaces a question I would have been asked without it.

Yeah you're best to avoid covering something like that in the documents. Music can be a handy few minutes of conversation in the oral, especially when it is a passion of yours. So you're probably best to try learn off phrases for your document that covers a different topic, like your Save the Sea-front one which would probably go down well with the examiner, but make sure you know enough about the topic itself otherwise you're letting yourself open to awkward questions.
    "Politics don't interest me, but I do like..." excuse, can I?

At the end of the day, the examiner is'nt out to confuse you and make you lose marks. You can only answer on topics that you know. It seems you have somewhat of a passing interest in politics, therefore if the examiner asks you a question on something like Bertie's finances, you could try to maybe produce a phrase that shows you haven't much of an interest in politics, only certain aspects that you deem important (like the Seafront campaign, etc.).

Hope that helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

It doesn't matter if it's a question that comes up.Say something like comme vous voyex and introduce your document that way.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Alan Smith wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it's a question that comes up.Say something like comme vous voyex and introduce your document that way.;)

do the music one. if she asks you what are your pastimes, say:
    sport
    computers
    tv etc etc...

and music

.... i love music... its my passion... i always listen to music... 'en fait, la musique est mon document'

then just go on about the concert. it doesnt matter if you'd be talking about it anyway. you go into alot more detail when its your document and you can prepare everything you say and possible questions that could be asked. As well as that, if it interests you its perfect as a document.

I suggest you choose music and start getting it ready now.

Advertisement