Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral at O.L

Options
  • 31-03-2008 6:02pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with the ordinary level Irish Oral. The examiner doesn't know what level you are and the points are the same as for honours. So are they adjusted later at some point or are you essentially being tested as an honours student?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Our Irish teacher told us that we're all supposed to be examined at the same level, but that in practise the examiner can tell almost immedietely whether you're an honours or an ordinary student and will probably mark accordingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Our Irish teacher told us that we're all supposed to be examined at the same level, but that in practise the examiner can tell almost immedietely whether you're an honours or an ordinary student and will probably mark accordingly...

We were told something simular to this. Basically the way that it was explained to us was that the examiner will start off with an easy question, then they will move on to a slightly harder question and then another one. If you are having dufficulty then the examiner will stay at a certain level and won't go any harder unless they think you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Basically if you make the examiner think you are doing higher level when you aren't, you'll score very well.
    As said already, the examiner will adjust the questions based on how well you answered the previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Our examier knows my class are ordinary level. Our teacher told us today because a student asked. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Your examiner will know form the word go what level you are, of course by the level of your Irish. Currently I am teaching Irish grinds and tech HL/OL leaving students. My advice is dont panic firslty, you shouldn be worrying about if she/he knows your level. concentrtae on the exam itself!!!

Things to know:
    Cé thú féin- who you are, age, whre ya come from, your family.

Áit Cónaithe- basically be able to talk about your locality.

Caitheamh Aimsire- past times. always remember is maith liom a bheith ag imirt sacair/ag seint an giotar........also music, basically whatever your into.

An Scoil- know about your school, subjects for leaving cert, what you wnat to do next.

Laethannta saoire- what holidays have you been ann, where, with who, re you going away after your exams

An deireadh Seachtain- what ou do at the weekends, you maybe asked if you drink, what do you think of young people drinking.

Post- do you have a job, what is it, are you going to get a job after the exams, where. also know about the job you will be qualified to do after university*.

They could ask you if you read any Irish news papers, politics, *if its nursing be prepared to answer a question regarding the strikes,** doctors regarding the pay deals and the AE times,

remember you modh chionnaíleach also for the questions:

if you won the lotto what would you do

if you had a million euro what would you do

what wouuld you do if you were Taoiseach/ President

if any of you need help dont hesitate to PM me, regards any aspect of the Irish, only happy to help...

Go n-éirí libh,

Lasair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

lasair wrote: »
    Your examiner will know form the word go what level you are, of course by the level of your Irish. Currently I am teaching Irish grinds and tech HL/OL leaving students. My advice is dont panic firslty, you shouldn be worrying about if she/he knows your level. concentrtae on the exam itself!!!

Things to know:
    Cé thú féin- who you are, age, whre ya come from, your family.

Áit Cónaithe- basically be able to talk about your locality.

Caitheamh Aimsire- past times. always remember is maith liom a bheith ag imirt sacair/ag seint an giotar........also music, basically whatever your into.

An Scoil- know about your school, subjects for leaving cert, what you wnat to do next.

Laethannta saoire- what holidays have you been ann, where, with who, re you going away after your exams

An deireadh Seachtain- what ou do at the weekends, you maybe asked if you drink, what do you think of young people drinking.

Post- do you have a job, what is it, are you going to get a job after the exams, where. also know about the job you will be qualified to do after university*.

They could ask you if you read any Irish news papers, politics, *if its nursing be prepared to answer a question regarding the strikes,** doctors regarding the pay deals and the AE times,

remember you modh chionnaíleach also for the questions:

if you won the lotto what would you do

if you had a million euro what would you do

what wouuld you do if you were Taoiseach/ President

if any of you need help dont hesitate to PM me, regards any aspect of the Irish, only happy to help...

Go n-éirí libh,

Lasair

Here is how the orals are marked:

they examine you, then mark you out of 150.
    They don't ask if you are and OL/HL student.
    They don't give you better marks if they think you are an OL student.

EG; If an OL student and a HL student have the same standard of Irish, they get the same marks.

When it comes to the LC they look at the marks that every OL student got in the country and add weights to them. ie: if the best OL mark in the country was 120, then this student would get 100% in his oral, a person who got 100 would get around 85% and somone who got 60 would get 50% etc. etc. etc.

So, in conclusion. They mark you all the same regardless of level. but when they are deciding your marks for the oral after the leaving, generally OL students' marks will rise dramatically.

I think this is to stop HL students telling the examiner they're OL students so that they examiner will think theyre great for OL and give them great marks.

PS: the resignation of the Taoiseach is definately going to be asked. In my mock I got asked things like:

is there a problem with transport/traffic in dublin (because i said i wanted to become a civil engineer and i said i take the train to school)
    What would you do if you were the minister for transport
    Whats the irish course like? What do i think of it? (because i said i had never been to the gaeltacht but i practiced irish with my brother[none of which is true])
    What are the problems with the health system? (because i said my dad was a doctor and my bro wanted to be one)

I think the best thing to do is think of every possible question like this that could be asked when you mention something/tell the examiner something. and prepare it. If you take the bus to school, be able to say why and be able to talk about the transport system. I you have any nurses/doctors in your family prepare something brief on the health system/ WWYD if you we Min for Health? Prepare a piece on the Taioseach and the Táiniste and Berties resignation. If you have all that done, you'll get top marks. Being able to say one or two small things in good irish about everything you think you'll be asked, will get you at least a B.

EDIT: btw this is only for HL students, OL students probably wouldnt be asked this unleas they show that they have good irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Peleus wrote: »
    PS: the resignation of the Taoiseach is definately going to be asked.

Yeah I was just about to post that, definately learn an answer for that.

Advertisement