Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best flooring?

• 31-03-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

What is the best type of floor covering for a new house? Want something that is easy to clean. Has anyone experience of the various kinds of laminate wood flooring or lino which has the look and colour of boards.

Thanks

PS Copied this from Accommodation and Property. Hope that is OK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

IMO good quality non glued laminate is the best for wear: kids: dogs, inlaws etc
    My only choice is http://www.alloc.com/

I always put a tiled area inside each entrance door for mats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

ircoha wrote: »
    IMO good quality non glued laminate is the best for wear: kids: dogs, inlaws etc
    My only choice is http://www.alloc.com/
    Thanks
    I always put a tiled area inside each entrance door for mats.
    How large a tiled area? just big enough for mats? Have you seen the magic carpet at Dunnes? Any opinion on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

we have lino in our kitchen and bathrooms and everyone is convinced its tiles until they touch it. We got it mainly due to it being cheaper then tiles and the labour is so much cheaper and with two kids who fall occassionally it has probably saved us a couple of trips to a & e! there are loads of difference kinds and designs and depths of lino.

We have semisolid wood flooring in the hall and sitting room and then the same carpet everywhere else. OUr house was brand new so we were working with concrete floors.

Trying to decide the design for each room can be daunting but cost and availability has a huge influence. The place we went to promised us we'd get all our flooring within a week as we wanted to move in as soon as we got the keys. They came with the carpet when they said but we had to wait 4 weeks for the lino (it was coming from Italy!). And the labour fellas got in a snot when fitting the lino coz of course we had all our kitchen appliances in and they didnt want tohave to move them even though they were supposed to come before we got them in and the "manager" of the store had said it wouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for that Redpunto. I thought about leaving the stairs without covering but painting with Ronseal clear varnish Can anyone advise me if that would be a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

With regard to the stairs, although they can look great varnished, bear in mind the noise. A couple of kids clattering up strairs make alot of noise! If you are in terrace house, the neighbours probably wouldn't appreciate it!

I agree with the lino aswell, some of it is great these days, it is safer with kids aswell, as when they drop things (not only themselves!) they don't tend to shatter as easily. When they get a bit older, and funds are a bit healthier, you could tile.

There are so many expenses moving into a new house, I would concentrate on getting the best flooring for the high traffic areas, and make do with the rest till a later date.

EDIT - Sorry, you don't say in your OP whether you have kids at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Even if there's no kids it can be noisy! Varnished stairs look great are cheap and easier to clean but unless you want to be driven mad with the noise carpet is more practical.

sueme wrote: »
    With regard to the stairs, although they can look great varnished, bear in mind the noise.
    I just remembered don't they have to be sanded before varnishing?
    I would concentrate on getting the best flooring for the high traffic areas, and make do with the rest till a later date.
    Wouldn't the stairs be high traffic?
    EDIT - Sorry, you don't say in your OP whether you have kids at all!
    No problem. No kids
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I just remembered don't they have to be sanded before varnishing?
    Wouldn't the stairs be high traffic?
    No problem. No kids
    Thanks

I would give them a light sand, hoover and wash to make sure everything is smooth and clean beforehand.

Well high traffic in my house is the hallway, sitting room, and kitchen. I got a semi decent laminate for the hallway and sitting room and tiled the kitchen. On the stairs, I got a carpet I think around e11 per yard, with a good underlay. All are still perfect 3 years on. I put cheap carpet in the bedrooms, with no underlay and it shows now, for the extra few euro, the underlay would have made them last much longer.

The tiles for kitchen and bathrooms would have been pricey, but I got them at cost and laid them myself, so it worked out cheap - my back however will never be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Have you considered bamboo or some more natural flooring products? Woodie's is selling bamboo now and it looks gorgeous in the display! It's much stronger than soft woods/laminate.

I've written up a big thing on "green" flooring options, if you're interested in learning more: http://greendiy.ie/wiki/projects/floors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Does anyone know where I can buy cork floor tiles? I have been Googling for the past hour and HomeBase/Woodies etc don't seem to sell them. I can't find any on the various Tile retailers websites either.

Many thanks. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement