Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber Frame Structure and HRV with Cob

• 31-03-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 quick queries in relation to timber and cob methods of build.

Firstly, can a timber frame building take a precast first floor and is there any link with the detail of what the timber structure would look like???

Secondly, if I was to go with a cob construction would I be able to use a HRV system. I would assume that the benefit of cob would be its high thermal properties and the fact that it is breathable making the HRV redundent

Thanks,

Shakeydude

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Pass on the COB bit,
    u could 'spec' the TF to take the precast floor but the loading would be much higher and I for one would be sleeping up stairs:D

One solution would be to have a concrete block wall on the inside from normal footings as well as concrete internal walls to first floor to carry the PC and then have the TF on the outside as normal.

The concrete walls would give you thermal mass for heat retention.

If the COB is not airtight then the HRV will be more useless than redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

ircoha wrote: »
    Pass on the COB bit,
    u could 'spec' the TF to take the precast floor but the loading would be much higher and I for one would be sleeping up stairs:D
    I dont think there would be much sleeping upstairs or downstairs.

Would I be wrong in assuming that you would have essentially two structures, the blockwork to take the precast and the timber would be redundent (or useless):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I was just shooting from the hip as in all the PC work I did in 3 continents I always supported the PC on concrete.

The timber frame would still be ur main structure outside the block walls which would not go above the underside of the slabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Regarding HRV and Cob, I think the HRV would be redundant as its place seems to be in more modern airtight buildings which require a source of fresh air.

Cob will breath and as a result reduce the efficiency of a HRV.

If you are building with cob you probbaly need to think a little differently about heating and heating efficiency, design with passive solar in mind and perhaps an efficient masonary stove, you heat the mass of the stove and the cob walls and benefit from the slow heat release.

I have little experience of cob in winter, but understand that it is very comfortable with a mass heating system like a masonary stove, in summer it is very comfortable certainly cooler and without the need for air conditioning.

If you are around Cork, you may be able to visit The Hollies, they have a relatively newly build cob house and have open days with cob workshops.

I have little knowledge of timber-frame but have spotted a few courses in the UK that teach the Segal Method and Traditional (UK) Timber Oak Framing, which I hope to try next year.

G.

Advertisement