Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure Bicycle Parking

Options
  • 31-03-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where there's a good place to leave a bicycle in the city centre where it won't get robbed (or bits and pieces of it stolen)? I cycle in and out fairly often but it's always a worry for me. My bike is an expensive enough one. I used to leave it at the rear of an hotel when I was working there but I don't have that luxury anymore. I know there are stands outside An Tobar for bicycles but I'm sure many of you will have seen smashed up bikes there, where wheels have been beaten in or there's just a frame left locked to the stands.

Any ideas anyone???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I would suggest PMing responses so that a good spot is not ruined by the whole world trying to park there after reading about it on teh intrewebz :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would suggest PMing responses so that a good spot
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Leave it into Mountain Trail they do a "Bike Park" you just leave it into them it costs 1euro per day, pretty reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I spent the summer two years ago working in the bar. I just left the bike around town, down at the bottom of quay street. during the peak messy hours too, not a bother on it. regularly left it at around 8PM til 7AM in the morning can't remember a single thing being done to it...

did the same thing for most of raceweek if i remember correctly...

if it's a shiny new bike, throw some mud on it and consider painting it black, or some thing to disguise it... the heavier the paint job the older the bike looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Steyr wrote: »
    Leave it into Mountain Trail they do a "Bike Park" you just leave it into them it costs 1euro per day, pretty reasonable.

That's great :)

€1, can't go wrong.

"if it's a shiny new bike, throw some mud on it and consider painting it black, or some thing to disguise it... the heavier the paint job the older the bike looks."

It is a nice bike so I'd hate to ruin it by doing a crazy paint job on it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Advertisement

How do I do multi quotes by the way:confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It is a nice bike so I'd hate to ruin it by doing a crazy paint job on it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

better to have a sh*te bike than not have one at all... rule number one if you leave it on its own for long periods of time.
    How do I do multi quotes by the way:confused:?

see the little button with the quotes sign on the right? click it for every quote you want to included. it'll change to red. then go to add reply as normal.

Steyr,

Thanks for the info. Parked my bike in Mountain Trail today. Brilliant. The guy even let mo off the euro:), probably because that's where the bike was purchased a couple of years ago (has a Mountain Trail sticker on the frame).

For anyone else interested; the shop closes for lucnh between 1:30 and 2:30 and the cornstore itself closes up at 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Was it Alan the owner or Eric the French guy? Sound lads in there anyway.

It's horrible when you walk around and you see some poor person's wheel bent. I used to cycle competitvely years ago, and had that happened to my bike I would've tracked down whoever did it and slaughter them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

my old bike was nicked from beside the house a while back, it was falling apart. got a second hand one from mountain trail. it looks old, but it's grand, and leaving it in eyre square has never led to anything dodgy. the more battered the bike looks i find the less likely a target it is

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    my old bike was nicked from beside the house a while back, it was falling apart. got a second hand one from mountain trail. it looks old, but it's grand, and leaving it in eyre square has never led to anything dodgy. the more battered the bike looks i find the less likely a target it is

Thats the same principle with everything though. My brother bought a guitar in America and before he checked it in he whacked the guitar case a few times to put dents in it. And when I bought my new hard-drive, the first thing I did was write on and scratch the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Steyr wrote: »
    Was it Alan the owner or Eric the French guy? Sound lads in there anyway.

Alan i think it was sold it to me and gave me some crap story on why the back wheel(very basic wheel and hub) did not match the front(mavic rim and good hub).
    I have heard things in hindsight from other people about that shop.
    Go to a guy that will not rip you off .nigels shop in liosban estate
    j

Alan i think it was sold it to me and gave me some crap story on why the back wheel(very basic wheel and hub) did not match the front(mavic rim and good hub).
    I have heard things in hindsight from other people about that shop.
    Go to a guy that will not rip you off .nigels shop in liosban estate
    j

Either Nigel or Kearney's in Teryland are the best in Galway IMHO. Both were heavily involved in competitive cycling both with Thermo King CC and on a national scale. But to keep on topic, the fact that they do provide a service for minding your bike is fairly good.

Advertisement