Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year history outburst

Options
  • 31-03-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone hear the mature student telling people talking to 'Shut the **** up' the professor said he endorsed the sentiment, ha ha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

wasnt really an outburst

he basicially asked permission to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yeah, well it needed to be done, and more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Who was the lecturer? And Mature students wreck my head. I mean maturer than me :P

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derek.deane

Fair play to the man. Someone needed to say something as there were dickheads with their backs turned on the lecturer having full scale conversations with people in the rows behind them, all they were missing were the pints and bacardi breezers! I know it's been said before but what are they doing going to the lecture? Maybe some have unique superpowers which allow them to absorb information via osmosis rather than aurally, guess the rest of us are the gob****es in that case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

Had to sit behind a mature student in 2nd history on thursday of last week who stopped the lecturer and told him she couldnt hear him talking because there was two girls chatting, now i was closer to them and i heard the lecturer just fine, theyre so upidy and think we [the younger ones] are a bunch of school children.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Behave like school children, be treated like school children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Had to sit behind a mature student in 2nd history on thursday of last week who stopped the lecturer and told him she couldnt hear him talking because there was two girls chatting, now i was closer to them and i heard the lecturer just fine, theyre so upidy and think we [the younger ones] are a bunch of school children.:mad:

In fairness though she could have had better hearing than you or just a low whispering could have been pissing her off, I know it does to me when I hear it.

Personally though I don't see why people come into lectures to talk, you're not being forced to come and if you want to talk then don't come in. Just because you don't want to be there doesn't mean it's acceptable for you to make it difficult on the students that are there and want to listen.

(That being said she did seem a bit stuck up the way she came across when she stopped the lecture)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Behave like school children, be treated like school children.
    QFT.

Having said that, some of the mature students always used to wind me up as well. So up they're own arses it's no wonder they can't hear the lecturer talking, that's all I'll say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

That was a ridiculous situation. She was sitting right up the front in a different block. And she stopped the entire lecture and the flow of the lecturer.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Flume wrote: »
    That was a ridiculous situation. She was sitting right up the front in a different block. And she stopped the entire lecture and the flow of the lecturer.:rolleyes:

Agreed, it took him a while to get back into the groove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Agreed, it took him a while to get back into the groove.

Yeah, it seemed to do more harm than good.

Incidentally, is the entire 2nd year history class on UCD boards? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tom65 wrote: »
    Yeah, it seemed to do more harm than good.

Incidentally, is the entire 2nd year history class on UCD boards? :p

pretty much yeah. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It appears so :confused: 6 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The fact we have hijacked this thread is evidence enough:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ronald777

Why do so many people take History when they aren't really interested in it? I don't know if anyone else remembers last year (1st year) when there was people throwing paper planes and the lecturer roared at them to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1. Not every period of history is as interesting as others. I personally found Renaissance to Enlightenment very boring. In first year, Early Medieval World was pretty boring. On the other hand, I love 3rd Reich and US History.

2. You don't get to choose every module you do! Unfortunately both Medieval and Renaissance modules were core/required.

Not saying it excuses throwing planes around or anythin......

You don't have to attend lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The fact we have hijacked this thread is evidence enough:)

I thought the fact that we have two threads entirely to history would have been more evidence..

I am f*cked for the Irish module, I missed both tutorials (due to not being in the country and screwing up the schedule for one) did they say anything relevant to the exams in them?

Which module is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

*pegs paper airplane across the forum*
    biggup 2nd year history. loving the early morning orange shirts and gold hooped earings on the irish history lecturer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

I suppose that's what happens when you've got free fees! If parents had to pay for UCD undergraduates, their offspring might appreciate the lectures more. Mature students know what it is to work and study - well, to work to survive, not just for beer and fun....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I suppose that's what happens when you've got free fees! If parents had to pay for UCD undergraduates, their offspring might appreciate the lectures more.

Having gone to a private school, I know this just isn't true. The students who talk in lectures don't care about the students around them, just as they wouldn't care about their parents money going on their fees.

If it was their only money...maybe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're going to talk in lectures, why bother going in the first place? Why not just head to the bar and have a few beers instead?
    It's not school, you don't actually have to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fionngus

Speaking of outbursts, did anyone hear about the streaker in theatre L a few fridays ago? Rumour has it theres a video on youtube!

Advertisement