Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Monitor on Back window.

Options
  • 31-03-2008 8:29pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    Wacky idea i got at the moment. Thinking of putting a computer monitor on the back window of my Partner van. The general idea was for advertising when i'm parked up doing promoting work.

I probably won't have enough juice to keep this running the full time but what are opinions of having a display on the full time while driving. Totally stupid and dangerous? Illegal? Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i would think that the gardai might have something to say about that plus it would be a magnet for some junkie to smash your rear window :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kikel wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Wacky idea i got at the moment. Thinking of putting a computer monitor on the back window of my Partner van. The general idea was for advertising when i'm parked up doing promoting work.

I probably won't have enough juice to keep this running the full time but what are opinions of having a display on the full time while driving. Totally stupid and dangerous? Illegal? Any opinions welcome.

Screen could be expensive. What about a scrolling LED display. Would use less juice than a computer monitor.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1147

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

True it would be a target for thieves. That would be the biggest problem i see.

With regard to the Gardai i can understand them not liking it and finding some law to prosecute me under, but are those LED displays legal? If you can have an LED display why not a computer monitor running a power point presentation.

Expense is not important as i got everything here running on a leisure battery

True it would be a target for thieves. That would be the biggest problem i see.

With regard to the Gardai i can understand them not liking it and finding some law to prosecute me under, but are those LED displays legal? If you can have an LED display why not a computer monitor running a power point presentation.

Expense is not important as i got everything here running on a leisure battery

It is illegal i think only if driving,, not sure about when parked although i see no reason why not.

If you want to go for a monitor you would need a CPU as well to store the powerpoint presentation. Unless you could have the advertising stored as a divx file and use a small Divx player and loop it.

Mounting should be very secure as well.

chris85 wrote: »
    It is illegal i think only if driving,, not sure about when parked although i see no reason why not.

If you want to go for a monitor you would need a CPU as well to store the powerpoint presentation. Unless you could have the advertising stored as a divx file and use a small Divx player and loop it.

Mounting should be very secure as well.

I've already got it running here. Mounting it on Thursday. At the moment the plan is to only see it when parked and the door is open. just checking opinions about problems when driving.

• Advertisement

I've already got it running here. Mounting it on Thursday. At the moment the plan is to only see it when parked and the door is open. just checking opinions about problems when driving.

that went from idea to reality very quick :rolleyes:

Legally you are fine as long as you are not driving while it is showing.

get the best bolts for the mounting as possible, as strong as possible, no cheap ones as they may shear off and that means bye bye tv and also the extra stresses occured while driving around. Worth the extra few quid if the bolts with it are standard

When ya've got the equipment things can be done in minutes. It's very crude, but it works. If i taught i'd get away with it i'd remove the advertising from the rear window and drive with it full time. But unfortunately as mentioned the monitor and computer would go walkies along with everything else in the van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

will you take requests? like lets say im stuck in traffic behind you and i missed the match last night??? :D

landydef wrote: »
    will you take requests? like lets say im stuck in traffic behind you and i missed the match last night??? :D

I may go for a much BIGGER screen. I'll make a fortune on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I wouldn't be a fan of moving adverts in moving traffic - but its already here.Spotted two smart cars on Saturday on the Naas Road towing two small tall trailers that were obviously designed to be moving billboards to get someones message right into the faces of drivers whizzing down the dual carriageway. Fe@k knows what they were advertising, I was too busy concentrating on other things at the time, like traffic, as usual it was all over the place as everyone has a different approach to driving on a three lane dual carraige way - its going to be interesting when the 4 lanes on the M50 open (thought that was only going to be 3 lanes ?), but thats a topic for another thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

saw a taxi yesterday with a huge colour animated display on the roof. would be surprised if it's legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Saw that too a day or two ago. At least that is mounted sideways.

Advertisement