Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employer witholding my wages !

• 31-03-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Is an employer allowed to withold your wages for any reason ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Have a look here -

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0025/sec0005.html#zza25y1991s5

And here -

big url

My guess is it's not allowed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm quite sure your employer has some very specific reasons actually and depending on those reasons possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

following on from Dublindude's comments.

This appears to be the relevant section of the law:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0025/sec0005.html#zza25y1991s5

Think it has to have been explicitly stated in your contract.

Why were you deducted / withheld wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭SystemError

The short version is that last year the company bought something on my behalf, something I never requested but did accept, as it was portrayed to be a gift at the time. I was told "dont worry about it - it is all sorted"
    Nine months later (the day I left the company) they said that I had to square up this (never before seen) bill before I left.
    I also never gave them permission to offset this against my wages.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How much money is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

if it was something you needed in your employment then that is covered under the legislation. You have to have been told this at the time of purchase. I'm guessing you didn't sign something at the time saying 'i will repay this if i leave the company within x amount of time'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭SystemError

I signed nothing. There was no agreement that this was to be repayed. I didnt even know the cost of the purchase and I was not there at the time the purchase was made. It was not something I needed in my employment.
    I never said I would repay the cost and they never asked me to repay them...until 9 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What size of a sum are we talking about?

If there was no agreement to pay for it and no suggestion that you had to at the time then I don't see why they should be withholding your wages. If I were you I'd certainly pursue the wages. Note that there are also tax issues. If they gave you something then it probably classes as a benefit in kind on which you should have payed income tax.

The new National Employment Rights Agency might be worth contacting.

Advertisement