Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Foreman Grill chicken fillet problem

• 31-03-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good way of cooking chicken fillets in a George Foreman Grill without the outside getting like leather? That's what happens when you cook them straight in the grill.

I've tried covering the fillets in olive oil or a beaten egg and then cover them with breadcrumbs, which actually works fairly well but if you put them in the fridge after they're cooked the cold damp mushy breadcrumb effect you get the next day is "manky" and not very appetising.

So any ideas other than giving up on the grilling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try butterflying the chicken breasts or just plain cutting them in half horizontally, so you don't have to grill them for as long to ensure the inside is done. A thinner piece of chicken will cook in half the time and hopefully the outside won't be as leathery.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I find that they come out really juicy when I marinate them.

My favourite is a marinade of garlic and ginger. I blend them up with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper, fresh thyme too if I have it. Sit them in it for an hour or so and they come up lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I gave up using the George Formby for the same reason, and I didn't like how dry it made them also.
    I prefer to use a nonstick pan now. Just smear a little oil over the breasts, add salt and pepper and fry for about 8-10mins on each side and voila! Perfect juicy chicken breasts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

bit of spray oil on teh george, butterfly the breasts, bita black pepper, hey presto, nice dull breasts. i find some coatings dont work coz the heat is too high and burns them before the breast is done,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Olive oil on its own is no good, you need a nice marinade with something acidic in it such as lemon juice - see tSubh's recipe above. This will keep them moist and stop them going hard on the surface. Once the marinade includes oil and lemon juice you can add anything else you like, for instance soy sauce, garlic, chilli etc.
    They'll taste amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Small update...

I tried marinading a fillet for 24 hours in the fridge with a random mix of lemon juice, olive oil and some mixed herbs. Then I slapped it on the grill without any coverings (such as breadcrumbs) and it turned out quite well. The outside was still a little hard but no where near as leathery as normal (more crispy now) and was definitely edible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'm with BaZmo*, I don't think the George Foreman is much good for chicken filllets, they're too lean and just dry out. I prefer to brush on a little olive oil and fry them, it's still healthy. I only use my George Foreman for toasted sandwiches (mmm) and burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

I haven't done this for a while, but I used to wrap chicken fillets with some streaky bacon before putting them in the grill. This both protects and flavours the fillets and also gives you some tasty crispy bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭fourmations

dump the george
    you'll never learn how to cook

buy a ridgepan if you want lines

ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i find if you dont wait till its properly heated up, put them on they cook grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dump the george
    you'll never learn how to cook

buy a ridgepan if you want lines

ciao

I agree with this, the foreman grill seems useful and easy, but in fact it is very difficult to gauge cooking times, and it is an absolute pain in the bollox to clean properly.

Advertisement