Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Buy a Ride on Mower - Help

Options
  • 31-03-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a ride on mower in the next 2 weeks and am at a loss which to get.

What am I looking at?
    1. Husqvarna CTH171
    2. Craftsman - Don't have model no. here
    3. Honda - Don't have model no. here

I knew the Husqvarna model as that is the one I am tending towards (perhaps the salesman was good). It has full pressure lubrication, is hydrostatic and rear ejection.

We have a 3/4 acre coastal garden that has some sloped areas. No trees YET !!! There are dealers for each brand locally in sorrounding towns / villages that service these machines.

I'm at a loss and want to make the right purchase. Any advice greatly appreciated.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

When we bought ours we were advised to buy from the guy who had best reputation for service as the ride-ons DO give trouble and if it happens in the middle of the growing season you could be without it for a while! Ask around locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you can afford it, I'd strongly recommend that you go for a hydrostatic gearbox.

You generally mow at a constant engine rpm, so the only way to change the speed of the mower is to change gear. If you have a big open flat area this is not too bad, but it's a right pain if you have a lot of manoeuvring to do. Generally you have to stop to change gears. Not a problem with hydrostatic - adjust speed smoothly any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

blackbox wrote: »
    If you can afford it, I'd strongly recommend that you go for a hydrostatic gearbox.

You generally mow at a constant engine rpm, so the only way to change the speed of the mower is to change gear. If you have a big open flat area this is not too bad, but it's a right pain if you have a lot of manoeuvring to do. Generally you have to stop to change gears. Not a problem with hydrostatic - adjust speed smoothly any time.

+1
    i had a manual and changed after six months for a hydrostatic ,amazing difference mines honda by the way 17.5 hp,cost 3200 2 years ago and it costs 140e per year to service

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you everyone.

I went with a Castelgarden 17.5 HP Hydrostatic in the end. He threw in a hitch for it as a goodwill gesture. Will start building the trailer at the weekend.

I considered it the stronger & sturdier of the machines I looked at. This was €100 euro more expensive than the Husqvarna I was considering but I think (hope) I got a stronger machine.

Thanks again for all the help & advice.

D

Advertisement