Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinahely History

• 31-03-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I have moved to Tinahely recently and by recently i mean about two years ago and was wondering if anyone can fill me in on some local history. I've tried the net but to no avail.

What i am really looking for is sites to old graveyards, places where people may have been killed as punishments etc. I know the courthouse was built around the 1840's so i assume they had a place for a gallows to hang criminals.

Also any local ghost stories, myths, ledgends etc about the area.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinahely
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:PXS37RJ5FKMJ:www1.xe.net/~mbone/webtree/morton/tinahely-1770.htm+tinahely+history&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=28&gl=ie
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:diJtbDUsnukJ:www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/02Hist/6June3.html+tinahely+history&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=27&gl=ie
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:diJtbDUsnukJ:www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/02Hist/6June3.html+tinahely+history&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=27&gl=ie
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:rt02877pcNMJ:home.earthlink.net/~truth444/BRG5-6-1Pattison.html+tinahely+terrible+history&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=35&gl=ie
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:b3T9hYqJ6UkJ:www.mediazionionline.it/dossier/mullan_ita.htm+tinahely+horror+stories&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=ie

There is a historical relationship with the methodist church....
    The town was burned down by the rebels in 1798.... Byrne led the rebels to burn down the town. All the roman catholics that lived there were told to keep their lights on that night and they would be spared, but the protestant houses were burned. I think this might be somewhat true, but exaggerated ( no smoke without fire ) although was not the historical incident. The historical incident saw clash's with the rebels and the goverment and loyalists which was refered to as the battle of Ballyellis and Ballyraheene.

There is plenty of information on the web. I wish I could be of more help anymore help. I would imagine few people will be able to help you. The town has a population of 695 and a total population in including locality of 1200 people. It is highly likely that few if any person will respond to your thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Arklow Community College run an evening course of Co Wicklow history. The tutor is Patrick Power, who is a local historian and has a breadth of knowledge about Tinahealy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mollmc

During the 1798 rebellion when Tinahely was being burned the Murphy family who owned the hotel set fire to blankets and let the smoke out of the upstairs windows. When the British Army came to the hotel they thought it was already on fire and so it was spared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

There's a new book out by Richard Marsh called "Tales of the Wicklow Hills".

"2000 years of history, myth, legend and local stories"

It's a nice collection of everything from Saints (St. Kevin etc), Kings (Feagh McHugh O'Byrne (last king of Wicklow - according to the book), Michael Dwyer as well as some ghost stories.

Published by Legendary Books and should be available in Wicklow bookshops.

I bought it because I was always interested in ghost stories and particularly for County Wickow but could never find a book. I think this is the closest one that comes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dick101

Unearthing history in graveyard

A SIGNIFICANT part of the history of Tinahely was uncovered recently when an eighteenth century cemetery, which lay covered for nearly a century, was finally cleared.

The story began a few months ago when a number of interested people decided that the old cemetery at Whitefield, Tinahely, should be restored.

Well known Tinahely man Paddy Murphy pioneered the planning of the clearance work in search of sponsorship and volunteers.

In February last, the mammoth task of clearing away bushes, briars and thorns was bravely undertaken by the Lennon duo, Hugh and Martin from Lugduff.

Over the weeks, steady progress was made into the jungle of ten feet high thicket and thorn.

Other volunteers joined the briar attack, including Jimmy Hogan, John Healy, Mattie O’Neill, Pat Walsh, Pat Kavanagh and Jim Byrne.

As the weeks progressed, more headstones and memorials were uncovered and were immediately inspected by eager family descendants.

The old boundary wall was rebuilt by the skilful John Cunningham while the Ross brothers delicately restored the quaint granite entrance piers.

A very interesting register of the graveyard recording burials from the 1930s survives in the possession of Tom Kenny, Whitefield, who has also done Trojan work in the graveyard restoration.

The cemetery also includes the site of the old catholic church, dating back to the early penal law days of the 1700s.

It was used until 1843, the year when the present church of Killaveney was built, according to Fr Fintan Morris, church historian and a native of the parish.

Within the site of the old church, there was uncovered a very interesting limestone memorial stone on six granite pillars, which sadly bore no inscription.

Following his extensive research in Christianity in the Wicklow area, Fr Morris found reference to a Fr Brennan, PP of Killaveney from 1780 to 1801, who was buried in the aisle of the Whitefield church.

“This is most likely the tomb of Fr James Brennan, the man who endured the atrocities of the 1798 Rebellion, including the burning of his church here during that fateful November of 98, and he never recovered from the shock,” added Fr Morris.

Coincidentally, this year Tinahely celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the Exodus of 1,200 people, led by Fr Thomas Hore, PP of Killaveney, to America, in search of a new life.

Fr Hore was the person instrumental in the building of the present church and moving from the old site.

The restoration of the graveyard was marked by the celebration of a Jubilee Mass by Fr Ray Gahan, PP, and Fr Thady Doyle, CC.

During the well attended celebration, Fr Gahan paid tribute to the great work done by the volunteers, stating how important it was to remember and honour the memory of our families and people.

A memorial stone, donated by the Morris family, marking the site of the old church, was then blessed during the blessing of the graves.

Following the mass, Tinahely local resident Paddy Murphy said: “It had been a wish of mine to see the cemetery cleaned and renovated so that people could come here and visit. It is a dream come true.”

For those interested in family history, the cemetery is worth a visit. There are over thirty headstones surviving the elements, with many other graves marked by only a simple fieldstone.

Many more families, particularly those who died during the Famine era, had no markers.....

• Advertisement

I hope that bit of info helped you out.

Im still on the hunt trying to find more......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Like Carnew, this was a yeoman town. Try Ruan O'Donnell's book on 1798.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

we are over in tinahely on holliday for the month of feb. as we will be bring our dog with us .i would like to know if any pubs will let us bring him into the bars?

dont think dog's are let into any of the pub's in tinahely...:(

but just out the road is a town called ''shillelagh'' there is a pub down there called ''parkeview'' thy always let dog's and there owners have a drink at the bar...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i know the park view and i always use it when in ireland .just out of interest i am with my dog on the parkview own website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alexosborne

PLEASE HELP
    TRACING FAMILY HISTORY
    Hello ,I’m Alex Osborne the son of:
    Aileen Needham (RIP) from Coolock / Cabra Dublin (1928-1966)
    I am looking for information for any of the families mentioned below especially the Needhams’ as I have so little information, please contact me at
    alex.osborne@virgin.net or 0044 7984 312 326
    I look forward to hearing from you. I will of course share my information with those interested.
    Mums Dad = John Needham born Dublin (18TH Oct. 1900--July? 1943 in Belfast whilst visiting)
    Mums Grandmother = Margaret Brennan (nee Doyle) DOB 14th MAY 1879 from Tinahely
    Her mother was Margaret Doyle (DOB 1855? From Tinahely) who was married to
    John Brennan (DOB 1856?)
    John’s dad was William Brennan a labourer from Tinahely.
    Margaret Doyle’s father was James Doyle a miller from Tinahely, John was a baker and
    Margaret Doyle was a servant.
    Mums Grandfather =John Needham (DOB 1878 ish? He was over 21 in Jan. 1900) a Labourer of Tinahely (He became a porter in 1900 and by 1924 he had become a chauffeur.)
    By October 1900 John and Margaret had moved to Dublin and John had joined the army. They had a son also named John Needham who married Anne Johnston (dob19th June 1899) in 1924.
    I lost contact with Birdie who has Needhams’ for relatives, when my computer crashed; I would love to hear from her.
    My aunty Margaret (Peggy) Mooney (RIP) (nee Needham) mentioned Ballyshonog and Shillelagh as other places.
    THANK YOU FORYOUR TIME alex.osborne@virgin.net or 0044 7984 312 326

Advertisement