Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierdest thing your pets will eat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Thats deadly. What a cool dog!

She'll eat ice-cream or ice pops too, but again, have to hold them up she can lick it not bite it. Clever little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

raw potatoes aren't supposed to be good for dogs (or humans, for that matter) ..so keep an eye on the amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

peasant wrote: »
    raw potatoes aren't supposed to be good for dogs (or humans, for that matter) ..so keep an eye on the amounts

Never ever give them to her, I just know she loves them! Dropped one once and she went mad for it. Now whenever I'm peeling them she gets really excited and hovers in case one falls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My dog just likes to taste things, if you leave a cupboard door open he will ransack it, have a bite of anything edible and scatter the rest all over the floor. I came home last week to discover he'd gotten into the cereal cupboard and there was corn flakes everywhere. Our first dog was very well behaved and quiet, so when we got the new fella we weren't quite prepared for the trouble he'd get into looking for interesting things to eat- the first time we left him alone he got into the vegetable rack and ate some raw potatoes, flung all the onions around, then got up onto the kitchen table by jumping on a chair, and ate the apples in the fruit bowel (and knocked the rest off the table).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My mate, Orla's dog, Paco does this too. She was so disgusted that she brought him to the vet coz she thought he was mad. The vet said its normal though!!

I've also read that most dogs are mad for it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

My lab will eat anything. He eats onions, celery, apples, bananas, lettuce?; he particularily like red pepper :confused:

Oh and one day he ate a tea-bag :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ergonomics wrote: »
    My dog loves raw potato. Not cooked and especially not mashed. Has to be raw. She also loves apples, but you have to hold it for her so she can eat it like we do.

She hates BBQ sauce. She runs away from it if you present it to her!

Mine too, I think its the fact he can put it in his mouth and crush it!

Oddly he likes spicy food too! We've shared many a chicken Jalfrezi!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I actually think its really weird that pets eat dried pet food - it looks horrible! Dehydrated bits of reconstituted meat - yuk!

But - its good for them we are told so... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Mine all eat differently.
    Timmy likes anything, especially if it comes out of the bin. He has been known to eat tin foil(with the meat taste on!)
    Ding is fussy his fav is corn beef
    Kylie likes dust????
    Nara has been with us just over a week & she seems just to love food( no wonder she's a little fattY)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hadook wrote: »
    Have a look at the ingredients of the fish food and you'll see why the cat likes it :D

One of my cats like raw chilli peppers. Another one likes mashed potato. The dogs eat pelleted rabbit food and have been known to steal raw carrots from the rabbits bowl.

Raw Chilli peppers! Could it keep a straight face while doing it?
    On the carrots, our dogs stole the carrot had out for the rabbit last weekend. I was surprised that they liked it. Not sure if they were eating, or it was justing something to nibble on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

My little fellow eats absolutely anyting! caught him eating a bird out the back garden, he eats peppers, apples, bananas, carpet, coal(hot or cool) stones, bark, erasers, pencil pairings, tobasco sauce. we once even caught him trying to thumb tacs... he's a right genius...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Amimad wrote: »
    Kylie likes dust????

She must be on your woman from Little Brittains diet!
    A bit a dust!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

My cat licks the flavour of pringles but wont eat them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

one of my cats eats anything that he catches which includes; squirrels, hares, bats, mice, rats, birds and the odd fly hear or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

My parrot adores spaghetti hoops in tomato sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Miracle grow (that was scary) crayons, beer, cigarettes, birds, mice, poo, the kennel, the doors, Ive also found barbies, stanley blades and screws (shes trying to give me a heart attack) in her box

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

togster wrote: »
    My lab will eat anything. He eats onions, celery, apples, bananas, lettuce?; he particularily like red pepper :confused:

Woops Id be careful of the onions togster, dont want to alarm you but they have been well reported to be a cause of haemolytic anaemia in dogs. :( Pieces of raw onion, onion powder, or even cooked onion, can cause damage to red blood cells which can result in anemia in both dogs and cats.

The boring bit but in case your interested...the primary toxic component is n-propyl disulfide, which is thought to cause oxidative damage to erythrocytes (RBC's), resulting in hemolysis. Toxicoses from fresh, dried, powdered plant material and even feeding commercial baby food containing onion powder have been reported in dogs/cats!:eek:

Oh and my wee mutt is mad for eating tissues...hmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 beautythebp

lets see...............cat litter with the lumps or the toilet bowl suprise of someone ( one of the kids forgot to flush) then likes to get up in our faces and burp...........yuck let me tell you. may she rest in peace. her name was poopers for good reason.

rubbish, bigger dogs, cats, birds, and doritos!!!!!

I have a gerbil that likes to eat green peppers, fish that like the odd cornflake, and 2 cats that like to eat melons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Amimad wrote: »
    Mine all eat differently.
    Timmy likes anything, especially if it comes out of the bin. He has been known to eat tin foil(with the meat taste on!)
    Ding is fussy his fav is corn beef
    Kylie likes dust????
    Nara has been with us just over a week & she seems just to love food( no wonder she's a little fattY)

Can I borrow Kylie for my house - cat fluff everywhere

My two lads will eat anything that I have finished on the plate - bar lettuce and onion
    One of the lads started munching on a chilli pepper plant I had - well he never finished it as the half munched pepper was left dangling on the plant

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

My pup eats her poo, grass if i throw some at her, carrots, chews lighters if she gets the chance and once she gobbled a whole bottle of Seven Seas cod-liver oil tablets when my back was turned for a second, but she was totally fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Snotty tissues are a big favourite with mine, disgusting! Sucking the slippers without actually eating them. One of my dogs swallows knickers whole if he can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

House plants (all of which are non-poisonous to cats).

Also rice crackers - I blame kibble, it makes them go for anything made of cereal that goes 'crunch'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My pup eats any of the plants outside... she tries to eat the Aloe Vera plant (which is prickly, bay tree, apples off the apple tree, rose bush, daffodils, ferns, bits of bark, soil, grass, moss, roots, wood, paper, leaves that have fallen into the garden. Anything they find in the garden, screws/bits of plastic, skirting board.

Tags, she loves tags, steals my slippers for the tag inside. Shoes/runners, loves laces, will also run off with socks n knickers n anything really. Loves a pair of balled up socks, playing/eating the bottom of skirts. She loves playing with empty kitchenroll thingys (not for long, once it gets a bit soggy I take it off her). They love plastic, I dunno why, but any bit of plastic or plastic bottles... (honestly you have to watch em like a hawk). Oh stealing any of my toys and eating the ears or tail first. Magazines/corner of my forms!! eh..tried to take my nail file.

Food wise, anything and everything. Meats, fruit, vegetables, bits of cereals (like cornflakes), icecream if you let them! (I don't), crisps, I think pretty much anything.
    edit -- tea I forgot they love tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Our current cats are pretty normal, flies, spiders, moths, earthworms, etc.
    Had a cat years ago and we couldn't leave chocolate biscuits around as she'd lick the choc off, cadbury fingers were her favourite.(and yes i know choc is bad for pets but she even opened cupboards to get them)
    The dog is a big curry fan, the hotter the better, loves chilli too anything spicey. Couple of weeks ago he ate a whole bulb of garlic:eek: the smell was awful, it was on his skin for days, had to bath him to get rid, his breath and farts were killer for about 2 days. Must have a cast iron stomach never affects him unless he has milk, so has his tea black:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Had a dog named Guinness (died of liver disease, rest her soul) who ate an entire first edition PlayStation 1. Controllers included.

Ate my birthday carrot cake straight off the table whilst we were in another room.

Constantly would steal tissues and toilet roll and rip them to shreds and ingest the majority of it.

Would eat pears straight off the tree, she was absolutely mad for them.

Loved apples, bananas.. actually, hell, she just loved anything she could get her mouth around.

I miss that dog dearly. Hell of a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My cats love any of the chinese dishes that has had chilli in it. The youngest would eat the left over brussel sprout or two the OH left on his plate and she eats the coconut in my rabbit's fruit mix if it's dropped on the floor. They'll try to munch on crusts left over from pizza as well.

My rabbit will bully my cats away from their food bowl in the morning to get at their dry - he loves Orijen, which is 75% meat, I can't imagine it's good for him. So now I have to make sure the cats have a head start and I put a bowl of small fruit pieces mixed with his normal food out for him when he comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

My budgie used to eat anything he could get his beak on. If you sat eating anything in the sitting room where his cage was he would go beserk till he got some. If he was in his cage at the time it wasn't so bad, you could usually just slip him a bit of bread or something and he wouldn't know the differance but if he was out and about he wasn't easily fooled and would pester you till he got a taste of whatever you were eating. His favourite was crisps, any flavour at all and he'd be happy. He also loved all fruit and veg and really enjoyed things like Irish stew and lasagne (he had to be super quick to manage to get either of those with out us stopping him).

The result of this was that my dog would eat anything that we had aswell. The dog's favourite odd food was anything that the budgie had (major rivalry between the two of them), so the dog used to sit under the budgies cage and wait for any food to fall out and would then stand munching on it while watching an irate budgie lose the plot in his cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsTempermental

I was making fajitas and rather stupidly left the guacamoule and jalapenos on the table while i went to get the rest of dinner, thinkin that theres no way my two white boxers Elvis and Xena would go near it....wrong, on the bright side cleaning up after them in the garden was pretty easy for a few days after, Elvis never touched the stuff again but Xena went mad for the jalapenos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Brothers current Jack Russle chewed a lump out the passenger side seat belt in his Micra two years ago, It failed the DOE over it. He did it again a few months ago in the rear passenger seat of his Stilo, brother cut a foot off the belt so it wouldn't be noticed. He better not be carrying fat passengers :D
    He just did it again and the NCT copped on to the repairs and made him replace the belt. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I usually leave the end of my tea for my cat. He just dips his paw in and licks it off.

Caffeine isn't good for a cat, so he doesn't get more than a few drops.

Advertisement