Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheres the ****ing broadband Ryan ??

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Read

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/industry/2007/ictireland2007.pdf

Page 42 of 67 Table 5c , what ****ing Broadband ???

There are 1.525m households in Ireland of whom 198,000 use the Internet and have no Broadband because they cannot get it .

198k out of 1.525m is

13% of all the households
    in Ireland

Reasons for households not having broadband but having internet connection at Home in 2007

Not available in my area!

67.4% in the BMW Region

40.4% Southern and Eastern Region

Yes I am SHOUTING because you won't listen otherwise<.cg snip>

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

and they continue to include the estimated 45k mobile 3g connections in that "broadband" category too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Less of it Sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it's more like 100K now, also Clearwire and Ripwave (nomadic systems using similar technolgy & performance to HSDPA, but even higher (worse) frequencies etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I think sponge caused Bertie to resign :) Too many actual real facts for him to cope with!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In before lock.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

crawler wrote: »
    actual real facts

Speaking of which !!!

Care to explain that .sig of yours to us ????

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Whoah. On the move again, crawler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Speaking of which !!!

Care to explain that .sig of yours to us ????

Sorry just spotted this now - yes, I hang out there \|/ now....

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

cgarvey wrote: »
    Less of it Sponge.

Agreed, we won't get anywhere screaming and shouting..... data, real data, and minimum techie press releases will get the real message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »
    Sorry just spotted this now - yes, I hang out there \|/ now....

Now that O2 have taken over (well likely to)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BarryM wrote: »
    data, real data, and minimum techie press releases will get the real message across.

Because that has worked brilliantly up until now? Ryan simply won't listen. Last time I heard him on the radio he was being pulled up on using HSDPA connections in the broadband stats and comparing these to the OECD numbers, and saying how well Ireland was doing. He refused to accept that the OECD numbers don't count HSDPA (not sure if they count Clearwire and co type connections) and refused to change his opinion that Ireland was now a world leader in broadband penetration.

Absolutely nothing will change on this in the next 4 years, especially now that government money is down. What little they had planned probably won't even happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    refused to change his opinion that Ireland was now a world leader in broadband penetration.

Absolutely nothing will change on this in the next 4 years, especially now that government money is down. What little they had planned probably won't even happen now.

That man is demented and shouldn't be left in charge of a solar powered egg
    let alone a Department, hopefully he'll be promoted to somewhere useless like foreign affairs or something where he can't do anymore damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

bealtine wrote: »
    That man is demented and shouldn't be left in charge of a solar powered egg
    let alone a Department, hopefully he'll be promoted to somewhere useless like foreign affairs or something where he can't do anymore damage.

Agreed, of course, BUT, he can compare all sorts of crap data to prove his point(s) as long as that is all there is around..... The recent CSO stuff shows that the anecdotal data we have from posts on Boards.ie for example, are borne out by actual experience. So, we must collect some real data, put it in the hands of the right journos and confront Ryan/ComReg et al with it.

I think that most of the meja knows the data is not right but the subject is too techie for their audiences, or at least the information they are getting is too techie.

Bye, Barry

Advertisement