Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual sightings while out shooting

• 01-04-2008 12:55am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Now this post has nothing whatsoever to do with the day that's in it. (Despite the fact that I'm now a moderator!!!!!)

In my local which shall remain nameless ( The Malt House ) we have a spot that's known as "Liars Corner" and it's reserved for local gun club members. No one could ever figure out why its called "Liars Corner" but thats another story.

Anyway, Sunday night during the shooting season, fellow like minded souls gathered to swap stories of the days shooting - a clue to the origin of the name of the corner. The topic of what was the most unusual quarry/wildlife/animal/bird came up and we had the usual offerings of badgers, white cocks, black cocks, three legged hens etc.

I sat there listening, pint in hand, biding my time. When everyone thought that they had the most unusual beast I said, guess what I saw today?

Round the table came the standard answers - three legged fox, deer, partridge, cat, etc etc.

"No" says I, it was a LION.

"Would you F**K OFF and don't be acting the BO**OX!" was the gist of the responses from the assembled.

However it turned out to be true! I was out shooting with my mate and we crossed a ditch into a field.
    Lo and behold there in front of us was a whopper of a lion..........along with a giraffe, tiger and a few other exotic creatures. We'd stumbled on lands owned by a well known circus family who travel throughout Ireland. They spend their winter months there and the animals in question were in their cages in the field in question but we did come across them!:)

Can anyone top that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

well i came upon the cross that marked the spot where irish volunteer dinny lacey was shot dead. dont see that every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Is this strange enough?
    Driving up towards mountains one night to check a few rabbit traps i was shocked to see a woman step out of the darkness out into the middle of the road she was frantic and was trying to flag me down. I have seen some crazy sh1t up in the hills at night and i was unsure about stopping as it could have been a sting.
    As i slowed down the woman approached the passenger window but she was too frightened to come close to the car. She was ranting and gasping for air:eek: it was then that i realised that her throat had been cut:eek:. She was covered in blood:eek:
    The wound was bad enough to have drawn a lot of blood but not so bad as to be life threating.

My friend and I had to do our best to get her to calm down, she was so scared that she was even considering running away form us..She didnt know what way to turn. It mad me mad to see someone in this state:mad::mad:

Anyway a hundred yards ahead of us on the main road was a Toyota Serena with the windows blackened from smoke.
    The woman was screaming that her car was on fire and that two black men(cowards) had been trying to drag her into the woods and that they had ran off when they spotted our car lights.
    I was out with the slash hook( no9;)) in seconds and i let a roar in to the woods for these to c**ts to come out and face a man!!!!
    Note:
    If your good with a slash, (and i am, and its a Pierce, which is the best) it quite easy to cut through a small tree in one cut! Small would be 4-3 inch's and smaller:eek: Its all about the angle. So I'll leave it to you imagination what it might do to a human, and as Micheal Jackson says it don't matter if your black or white:cool:

The woman was still ranting that "they" had tried to burn her car and she was panicking as to what her other half would say about the car! some where in the ranting she mentioned the fact that the keys were still in the ignition. I assured her i would retrieve them. I made my way up to the smoldering wreck and managed to close the electric windows in a bid to stop the progress of the fire and to to preserve some of the fu**ers finger prints.
    we phoned the cops and the boys were everywhere in a few mins

The woman was a taxi driver and she had stopped to pick these two c**ts up outside the Tuning Fork Pub near Taylors Lane
    Needless to say the garda never even asked us why we where up in the mountains in the first place:rolleyes:

The woman was subsequently interviewed by a local radio station and publicly announced her gratitude toward the two gentlemen who saved her life.! I am under no illusion that these two attackers would have had no hesitation in killing the woman..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Is this strange enough?
    Driving up towards mountains one night to check a few rabbit traps i was shocked to see a woman step out of the darkness out into the middle of the road she was frantic and was trying to flag me down. I have seen some crazy sh1t up in the hills at night and i was unsure about stopping as it could have been a sting.
    As i slowed down the woman approached the passenger window but she was too frightened to come close to the car. She was ranting and gasping for air:eek: it was then that i realised that her throat had been cut:eek:. She was covered in blood:eek:
    The wound was bad enough to have drawn a lot of blood but not so bad as to be life threating.

My friend and I had to do our best to get her to calm down, she was so scared that she was even considering running away form us..She didnt know what way to turn. It mad me mad to see someone in this state:mad::mad:

Anyway a hundred yards ahead of us on the main road was a Toyota Serena with the windows blackened from smoke.
    The woman was screaming that her car was on fire and that two black men(cowards) had been trying to drag her into the woods and that they had ran off when they spotted our car lights.
    I was out with the slash hook( no9;)) in seconds and i let a roar in to the woods for these to c**ts to come out and face a man!!!!
    Note:
    If your good with a slash, (and i am, and its a Pierce, which is the best) it quite easy to cut through a small tree in one cut! Small would be 4-3 inch's and smaller:eek: Its all about the angle. So I'll leave it to you imagination what it might do to a human, and as Micheal Jackson says it don't matter if your black or white:cool:

The woman was still ranting that "they" had tried to burn her car and she was panicking as to what her other half would say about the car! some where in the ranting she mentioned the fact that the keys were still in the ignition. I assured her i would retrieve them. I made my way up to the smoldering wreck and managed to close the electric windows in a bid to stop the progress of the fire and to to preserve some of the fu**ers finger prints.
    we phoned the cops and the boys were everywhere in a few mins

The woman was a taxi driver and she had stopped to pick these two c**ts up outside the Tuning Fork Pub near Taylors Lane
    Needless to say the garda never even asked us why we where up in the mountains in the first place:rolleyes:

The woman was subsequently interviewed by a local radio station and publicly announced her gratitude toward the two gentlemen who saved her life.! I am under no illusion that these two attackers would have had no hesitation in killing the woman..

Fair play to you ivan, I remember reading about that case in the papers,
    at least I think it was the same case.. youse werent after foxes by any chance?

I gave up fox snaring as soon as i started it(years ago), its not a fitting death for such a beautiful animal.
    Rabbits only:cool:, at least their easy to manage and easily released if their too young.:)
    How do you release a fox?:confused: With out being bitten:pac:or causing further injury and suffering to an already stressed animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

lads,can pheasants be black!im sure i saw a black one!
    drinkin cool-aid!
    ah no seriously,in athy,i was coming back from fishin and it ran out in front of me!i nearly crashed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I came across a grave. Seems the man killed himself about 80 years ago and was not allowed to be buried in a graveyard back then. My grandfather showed me. He was able to find a hole in the ground used by kids when he was young. stuck a pole into it and was able to hit the coffin. very cool. probobly one of the only people around now who nows what part of the bog he's buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

Yea Leadpipe we released a good few 2 years ago some sort of dutch strain I think extremely wild alot of them are gone now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

leddpipe wrote: »
    lads,can pheasants be black!im sure i saw a black one!
    drinkin cool-aid!
    ah no seriously,in athy,i was coming back from fishin and it ran out in front of me!i nearly crashed!

Otherwise known as Melanistics

Pity you hadn't the gun with you, fire a few shots into the woods and hope for the best! Doubt if the C**ts would have complained to the Gardai if they were hit.

Anyway, fair play to you doing what you did!

Any body here would have done the same..
    I had no say in it, its just the type of thing you do if your a man

• Advertisement

This story belongs to another fella since departed, but as I know it to be 100% percent accurate ill post it { he wouldnt mind}, my father in law who had a great interest in german pointer trials and training decided that
    he would give his best dog a run out the following morning, the weather was very hard with very heavy ground frosts and snow on the hills.
    he set off early on a sunday morning and worked his dog through some
    rushy fields which were always good for a bird or two, halfway down the second field the pointer began its point, the father in law touched his dog along his back to move him in closer when he noticed a pair of feet sticking up through the rushes, on closer inspection he discovered the body of an old neighbour who had left the local hostelry the night before and never made it home, going to sleep along the ditch he died of exposure:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

i was out driving yesterday when i saw a cock pheasants it was that big
    i nearly crashed the car looking at it. it was about 5feet long without
    it tail:eek:.the tail was about 6feet long. if only i had a rpg rocket launcher
    with me or a pump action shotgun with 5 in the chamber it would be
    the only way i would have gone after it.i live in mayo steve

This story belongs to another fella since departed, but as I know it to be 100% percent accurate ill post it { he wouldnt mind}, my father in law who had a great interest in german pointer trials and training decided that
    he would give his best dog a run out the following morning, the weather was very hard with very heavy ground frosts and snow on the hills.
    he set off early on a sunday morning and worked his dog through some
    rushy fields which were always good for a bird or two, halfway down the second field the pointer began its point, the father in law touched his dog along his back to move him in closer when he noticed a pair of feet sticking up through the rushes, on closer inspection he discovered the body of an old neighbour who had left the local hostelry the night before and never made it home, going to sleep along the ditch he died of exposure:eek:
    Better than dying at work, wouldnt be too bad dying in your sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I was over the fields with my 22 looking for rabbits afew years back. Didnt relise I wasnt the only one looking for them that day! I was walking along the ditch to the gate to the next field, when something flew just over the top of the ditch over my head. I looked at it open winged, gliding till it rested on an old dead tree the other side of the field. It was massive:eek:

I looked at it trough my scope and seen it was a buzzard. Went home and rang dept of wildlife and was told it must of been a kestrel:rolleyes:

They are pritty common around here now. Lovely bird.

Have him stuffed on my mantle piece now:D (JOKE)!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

chem wrote: »
    I was over the fields with my 22 looking for rabbits afew years back. Didnt relise I wasnt the only one looking for them that day! I was walking along the ditch to the gate to the next field, when something flew just over the top of the ditch over my head. I looked at it open winged, gliding till it rested on an old dead tree the other side of the field. It was massive:eek:

I looked at it trough my scope and seen it was a buzzard. Went home and rang dept of wildlife and was told it must of been a kestrel:rolleyes:

They are pritty common around here now. Lovely bird.

Have him stuffed on my mantle piece now:D (JOKE)!!!!!

What the guy from the Dept???:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

He might be more use if it was him stuffed on my mantle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Pair of peacocks,

A local farmer,

been a couple strange ones that you would look back at alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

At home in Kerry year before last - approached hedge cautiously to peep over to see if anything out on other side - 7 ostrichs in a wire enclosure pen at opposite end of field!

Talking to fellow shooters they informed me the farmer was now running an ostrich farm.

Knew him since school days so dropped out next day to have a look. impressive up close - the male was seperated from others and is absolutely crazy - kicking trying to get out to others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I was out shooting one night in the middle of nowhere. It was just turning midnight when a red VW Golf 03 reg roared up behind me & overtook me at a rate of knots.

I went on home after my shoot shortly after & went to bed & woke at 6.30am & decided to head out for another shoot near to where I was previously.

On rounding a corner I noticed a red VW Golf 03 reg up on a ditch, two people within. On seeing me they emerged from their car (skanger types) & asked if I could pull them off the ditch. It was the same two that had roared past me at midnight.

They had tried to ring their buddies to come & rescue them but they didn't have a clue where they where. I told them I would ring some buddies to come & help & they would bring a rope. I rang the local Gardai. I headed off & shortly later a cruiser passed me on the way to them.

Have we all come across a car parked down a lane with a young lad smiling like a cheshire cat in our head light's. Then a second head appears up from below the dash?:D:D Better again have we all been that young lad?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Brings back bad memories this but had the misfortune when taking shelter from a heavy rain shower in a shed of seeing an ould one taking a dump:eek: I very quietly backed away...

Chuileog wrote: »
    Brings back bad memories this but had the misfortune when taking shelter from a heavy rain shower in a shed of seeing an ould one taking a dump:eek: I very quietly backed away...

ROFL:D:D

Chuileog wrote: »

I believe they call that "a Kodak moment":D:D:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Seen two neighbours at it years ago while after rabbits at last light. Given the fact that they didn't live in the same house and weren't eachothers husband and wife I kinda kept my trap shut.:D

Told the da years after when one of the couples divorced. He'd seen them at it as well on a few occasions. :D

Have we all come across a car parked down a lane with a young lad smiling like a cheshire cat in our head light's. Then a second head appears up from below the dash?:D:D Better again have we all been that young lad?????

Going off the original thread a bit but in keeping with the above. I was sitting in slow moving (stop/start) traffic one day behind a Toyota Starlet being driven by a young girl. Her boyfriend was in the passenger seat. He had his sun visor down and I could see into his lap through the mirror on the visor. Every time we stopped in the traffic, I could clearly see her tossing him off or maybe she was just getting her gear stick mixed up :D:D.

Advertisement